Please, Please, Please

• RMweb Gold

See here

http://www.cornishpasties.org.uk/PGI_status.htm

Kernow flag too.

Only problem with it is that it doesn't protect 'the pasty' but only [a] 'Cornish pasty',  hence rubbish can still be served up as 'a pasty' - all too often.   I even bought one such object described as ' a pasty' at the West Somerset Railway and it not only contained carrot (yuck) but peas (double yuck) but it was not in breach of any sort of protective situation despite being a rank insult, and abuse of, the word 'pasty'.

As for so called 'pasties' containing no beef or even no meat at all well those perpetrating such insults on the purchasing public deserve to be locked up in the stocks and pelted with their own products.

• RMweb Gold

I remember when I used to go to Reading that a co-worker there ate the same Greggs 'beef' pasty every day, and had done for five years. I did try it once, but the filling was effectively just gravy with few lumps of anything.

The WSR is close enough to Devon and Cornwall to realise what a good pasty is.  They should be severely castigated!!    Another thing to mention,  The word is 'pasty', plural 'pastys.'  Pasties are something else altogether as voyeurs within  this group can attest!

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

The WSR is close enough to Devon and Cornwall to realise what a good pasty is.  They should be severely castigated!!    Another thing to mention,  The word is 'pasty', plural 'pastys.'  Pasties are something else altogether as voyeurs within  this group can attest!

Brian.

Well you learn something new every day.

I'd always thought it was pasties!

The plural is "pasties" according to the Cornish Pasty Association and the BBC.

'

In the US, 'pasties' are used by certain dancers to cover certain naked body parts while dancing.  I doubt the CPA will endorse this particular use. :dance:

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

http://www.cornishpastyassociation.co.uk/about-the-pasty/

http://www.cornishpastyassociation.co.uk/about-the-pasty/facts-and-figures/

Apparently, pasties are handed. Does that mean I have to seek out a 'cock pasty' now... :scratchhead:

But reading through that lot it implies that Ginsters products may be regarded as genuine Cornish pastys (because they are made in Cornwall and contain the relevant ingredients).  However one of those in no way compares in quality and 'yummyness' with a pasty made by Mrs Stationmaster which is also absolutely correct in regard to content (although she doesn't use beef skirt which is the preferred cut for a pasty meat) but is made in Oxfordshire so doesn't qualify on geographical grounds.

In other words just because it's made in Cornwall doesn't mean it's a good pasty and just because it isn't made in Cornwall doesn't mean it's a bad pasty  (and, as the first three letters [Tre] of her maiden name indicate Mrs Stationmaster's Cornish antecedents go back a very long way even tho' she happened to be born just across the border in Plymouth).

Meanwhile mention of the OP reminds me that I must buy some dates when I pop down to Tesco later this morning.

Meanwhile mention of the OP reminds me that I must buy some dates when I pop down to Tesco later this morning.

proper dd/mm/yyyy dates or those nasty imported mm/dd/yy things? :O

• RMweb Gold

proper dd/mm/yyyy dates or those nasty imported mm/dd/yy things? :O

Deglet Noir it says on the box - is that some sort of foreign way of identifying the date?

Which bit is the beef skirt?

It's from the rump although it is better as a casserole meat according to my catering manager.  Herself normally uses steak as Waitrose do some quite good value offerings in their essentials category every now & then.

• RMweb Premium

This topic should soon get an award for the most off-topic topic on RMweb!

I would also like to nominate it for

Most Entertaining Thread

• RMweb Gold

Hi Adrian, can you also show me which bit of a chicken it's nuggets are taken from?

I was going to ask a similar question about pigs and bacon flaps....

• 4 weeks later...

Archived