Please, Please, Please

I am mega-impressed by my Samsung phone doing as I tell it. It will find things on google far quicker than I can type, and I can now do texting! I just say "text Sam", it asks me the message, reads it back to me and asks me if I want to send it and it does. Absolute magic.

Ed

• RMweb Gold

I am mega-impressed by my Samsung phone doing as I tell it. It will find things on google far quicker than I can type, and I can now do texting! I just say "text Sam", it asks me the message, reads it back to me and asks me if I want to send it and it does. Absolute magic.

Ed

..sounds futuristic to me.

Kev.

Edinburgh this morning, 8/3/2016

attachicon.gif2016-03-08 08.04.50.jpg

- Richard.

Oh dear! I spy one of my pet hates.

Baked beans boiled out of their skins, so that you end up with a mouthful of shucks and pink slime.

Baked beans shold ony be heated - never boiled

• RMweb Gold

Ed

Thanks for pointing that out Ed. I got one recently and have used the feature for Google but didn't realise that it would text as well! My children and grandchildren will wonder what's happening now when I next text as usually they only get one or two words at a time!

Oh and as much as I like baked beans I do not believe they belong on the same plate as eggs, bacon, sausage, black pudding etc.

• RMweb Premium

Also from my recollection, that is a girl's portion in Scotland, only one egg, sausage and slice of bacon.

I can only agree, but in its defence it was part of a larger breakfast, with options for cereal, toast, pastries and so on. It all kept me going until late lunch (high tea?) around 4pm so I was happy.

- Richard.

If anyone is interested, here are traditional breakfasts from around the world. Some I'd be happy with, not sure about the Thai one though...

http://www.topdreamer.com/traditional-breakfast-around-the-world/

When I travelled round India in the early 1990s, the standard Indian Railways breakfast was a chilli omelette - not necessarily what you want first thing in the morning. Although you can't beat a cup of chai from the chai wallahs at stations, nothing like waking up to the sound of "Chai, chai, chai, chai", propping yourself up to the window and getting two cups of chai.

... the standard Indian Railways breakfast was a chilli omelette - not necessarily what you want first thing in the morning.

Sounds great*. Omelettes with peppers are very popular here. In 'made-to-order' omelette bars (common in more expensive hotel breakfasts) jalapeños are routinely on offer (in addition to ham, sausage, mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, capsicum, cheese, etc).  Plus some kind of salsa or hot sauce (Tabasco or similar) is usually offered with eggs.

The "Denver omelette" is a fairly standard term and includes ham, capsicum, onions and cheese.

* In an Indian context however the prospect of late morning Delhi-belly might well be off-putting.

If anyone is interested, here are traditional breakfasts from around the world. Some I'd be happy with, not sure about the Thai one though...

Mmmm, Chilaquiles! The green version (with chicken) is very good. Huevos Rancheros are very good too.

• RMweb Premium

Although you can't beat a cup of chai from the chai wallahs at stations, nothing like waking up to the sound of "Chai, chai, chai, chai", propping yourself up to the window and getting two cups of chai.

You need to like your sugar hit though.  Made with lots of condensed milk and then 5 added sugars IIRC.

Huevos Rancheros are very good too.

I'll have a portion of that please, mmmm.

So, to get back on topic :D ...

Of course the nice thing about the American approach of ordering the dates is that we can celebrate the most accurate pi day possible on Monday when it will be 3/14/16. (pi  to six significant figures is 3.14159.)  

So celebrate pi day on Monday with a pie of your choosing.  Many find this sort of dish to be appropriate for the occasion.

Star Wars day (May the fourth) "as in may the fourth be with you" is coming too and while that does rely on month/day ordering, it doesn't need numbers.

And no bickering. There is no 31st of April. So there, put that in your pi dish and bake it! ;)

• RMweb Gold

When I travelled round India in the early 1990s, the standard Indian Railways breakfast was a chilli omelette - not necessarily what you want first thing in the morning. Although you can't beat a cup of chai from the chai wallahs at stations, nothing like waking up to the sound of "Chai, chai, chai, chai", propping yourself up to the window and getting two cups of chai.

oops - back off topic, sorry.

I'm just picturing that now. I've been watching the Rick Stein in India series recently.

I ran a B&B for a few years, and once had an Indian couple stay for a couple of days. The wife cooked their breakfasts (which was no hardship for me!) and did those very same omelettes - hers were chilli, spring onions and a bit of Magee. I have to say that they put a spring in your step.

back on topic - they do celebrate pi day over here, don't they? Last year a radio programme "Definitely Not the Opera" dedicated an hour to it. It was really interesting, but I can't get used to math instead of maths.

..and of course, the stoners have 4/20

• RMweb Premium

So, to get back on topic :D ...

Of course the nice thing about the American approach of ordering the dates is that we can celebrate the most accurate pi day possible on Monday when it will be 3/14/16. (pi  to six significant figures is 3.14159.)  

So celebrate pi day on Monday with a pie of your choosing.  Many find this sort of dish to be appropriate for the occasion.

Star Wars day (May the fourth) "as in may the fourth be with you" is coming too and while that does rely on month/day ordering, it doesn't need numbers.

And no bickering. There is no 31st of April. So there, put that in your pi dish and bake it! ;)

Hi

Hang on wasn't Pi day the 29/2? Fourth birthday of the Raspberry Pi.

Cheers

Paul

Archived