Please, Please, Please

• RMweb Premium

Went to a family funeral yesterday.

Came home with some left over pasties from the feed after.

Just picked one up to have for lunch, bit into it and, horror of horrors, it was a veggie pasty

These things shouldn't be allowed.

To me a pasty's not a pasty unless it's got meat in it.

I'll probably be in trouble too as the so-called veggie pasty was for SWMBO, so I'll get it now for eating her pasty.

What with that and the PC unexpectedly starting the Windows 10 update

(see Windows 10 thread if you really want another rant from me),

I'm not having a good day

• RMweb Premium

Philly & roast lamb on a red onion & chive bagel....

What is that combination Stu, mine is the Philadelphia version, beef meltingly tender, gravy and melted cheese on a long roll.

I have just eaten, but mouth watering now.

Lunch? I’m partial to a classic American  “Reuben” - tasty!

Anything featuring pastrami or corned beef piled high on caraway rye, preferably from a traditional Jewish deli, is hard to beat.

Sadly the authentic ones are hard to find in these parts.

• RMweb Gold

And up north from you too. There's an OK one by Serious Coffee, and a pretty good one at a coffee shop in Sidney.

Oz, if you're in Portland, how about some of those food trucks? I spent a few days in Portland three or four years ago and really enjoyed brunches there. There was one place that could have been called Nicos or something, and another place called Mamas which was really good. We are hoping to get back there next summer. It's a wonderful place, and the people are amazingly lovely. As a visitor, it's one of the most laid back places I've ever been to - much more so than Seattle which I'm afraid wasn't for me.

• RMweb Premium

Went to a family funeral yesterday.

Came home with some left over pasties from the feed after.

Just picked one up to have for lunch, bit into it and, horror of horrors, it was a veggie pasty

These things shouldn't be allowed.

To me a pasty's not a pasty unless it's got meat in it.

I'll probably be in trouble too as the so-called veggie pasty was for SWMBO, so I'll get it now for eating her pasty.

What with that and the PC unexpectedly starting the Windows 10 update

(see Windows 10 thread if you really want another rant from me),

I'm not having a good day

Well at least I didn't get into trouble over the veggie pasty.

Apparently there are 3 more in the fridge and they're all veggie ones.

Oz, if you're in Portland, how about some of those food trucks? I spent a few days in Portland three or four years ago and really enjoyed brunches there. There was one place that could have been called Nicos or something, and another place called Mamas which was really good. We are hoping to get back there next summer. It's a wonderful place, and the people are amazingly lovely. As a visitor, it's one of the most laid back places I've ever been to - much more so than Seattle which I'm afraid wasn't for me.

The Portland food carts are terrific. Tons of variety and creativity. There is a decent Jewish deli on NW 23rd. New Yorkers and Los Angelenos (who know where to go) probably wouldn't acclaim it but it's what there is.

Portland a great city to live in and a great city to visit.

I'm actually in the south part of the metro area (not technically even in Portland) and a bit of a homebody. The food scene (along with much else) becomes blander the more you get into the suburbs.

Anything featuring pastrami or corned beef piled high on caraway rye, preferably from a traditional Jewish deli, is hard to beat.

Sadly the authentic ones are hard to find in these parts.

One of the good things about New Jersey is that it has more traditional diners than any other ‘State. I agree with you about Jewish Delis, though. I had a fixation with Chicken Liver (with eggs) on Rye until my Doctor threw a fit....(anyone unfamiliar with Chicken Liver, it’s a rather rich pate-like concoction).

Best, Pete.

mmmmm Philly Cheese Steak.

London is the street food capital of Europe these days. With clusters of them like Kerb, Dinerama, Hawker House, Model Market, etc, I can't keep up. There is also Maltby Street Market, which has around a dozen food traders. Best of all it's right along the Bermondsey beer mile. 6 breweries with open tap rooms, 2 bottle shops with tap rooms, and a brew-it-yourself venture with (you guessed it) a tap room.

My dirty addiction at the moment is http://www.cheesesteaks.co.uk/ who set up "Cheese Steak 1" in Spitalfield market every day. Run by a really nice guy from South Philly.

edit: unfeck the autocorrupt errors

Why this obsession with putting cheese (often the rather tasteless variety) on everything? It is becoming difficult to get a real "plain"burger in a reasonable burger joint (I exclude those large chain "burger" purveyors that we enjoy as part of our special relationship with the US of A).

Food Trucks are popular in cities over here though all the best ones seem to be in University towns (I wonder why, d’oh). New Brunswick has an amazing collection (there are even “where to go” guides) all centered on the main Rutgers campus. One of the most popular features 1lb burgers, chips, fried egg, gravy all in a sandwich.......good for starving 19 year olds...

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Why this obsession with putting cheese (often the rather tasteless variety) on everything? It is becoming difficult to get a real "plain"burger in a reasonable burger joint (I exclude those large chain "burger" purveyors that we enjoy as part of our special relationship with the US of A).

Odd isn't it - I like cheese and I like proper job burgers but put the two together and the result is awful and completely inedible as far as I'm concerned.

Odd isn't it - I like cheese and I like proper job burgers but put the two together and the result is awful and completely inedible as far as I'm concerned.

I'm the opposite. A burger without cheese is just a bit of beef mince in a bun. Its got to have cheese, bacon, onions, tomato, and lettuce to be a real burger.

• RMweb Gold

Now, you’re talking!

Best, Pete.

I don't know, that's some fancy pants poutine from flavour town right there. The place down the road does cod 'n' poutine - no mushy peas though :(

Archived