Please, Please, Please

• RMweb Premium

The meat holds it in, sloppy and gooey mmmmmmmm. Might be just the place I bought it though, I did not have time in Philly to sample many.

A bit like in a pasty

• RMweb Gold

I'm sorry to say Mike that I read that there was such a thing as a vegetarian pastie not a couple of hours ago.

I'm not sure if the pasty is yet a protected item food wise but it certainly deserves to be in view of all the garbage that is served up bearing the name but bearing no resemblance to the real thing

• RMweb Premium

That's egg, sausage, bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes and beans. That's not got much beans in it!  Better than beans, egg, sausage, bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes and beans.

I'll check the menu next visit.

Barely two weeks on, but on to the fourteenth page of responses, here is my report from the Cherry Tree. I asked for "a breakfast number 3 with black pudding and a black coffee afterwards".

Related specification

post-14389-0-75425400-1458152686_thumb.jpg

Product and presentation

post-14389-0-35107500-1458152705_thumb.jpg

Completion

post-14389-0-57423400-1458152719_thumb.jpg

- Richard.

Gravy in a pasty?????  How peculiar.  Any juice in a pasty should come from the cooking of the contents in the pastry and from nowhere else - at this rate we'll be getting on to carrot in pasties :O  :no: 

I have withheld comment on this subject especially considering its title, but now pastys have been mentioned, I feel duty bound to interject.  Of course, Mike is correct, meat, potatoes and onion; that's it!  Enough gravy will be produced with out any addition.  They should also be large enough so not to warrant any side dishes.  There are few decent pastys made outside the home over here, which I believe has been discussed in other threads.  The US is best left for hamburgers,  Philly sandwiches and other home grown specialities.

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

It is always good to see a topic grow! This one started out on dates and has evolved to cover all sorts of food. Trouble is all this talk of food is making me feel hungry!

I don't know, that's some fancy pants poutine from flavour town right there. The place down the road does cod 'n' poutine - no mushy peas though :(

I thought I was lucky in that we have 2 Fish and Chips shops within a five mile radius - which is more than in Brentwood, Essex right now. Unless someone knows better....

I’m with Mike on Pasties - although to be honest I quite like Potatoes  and Swedes (Rutabagas) in with the meat. He may have meant that too.... I dunno.

Best, Pete.

Nevertheless it still exists....

Some places provide a dipping bowl of gravy to dunk your sandwich in. This is not Wonderloaf bread. It’s often used in whole miniature ciabatta type loaves - after all if you are getting a 1lb ‘burger by its nature the bread it is in is quite large.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Many years ago, the future SWMBO & I went to a sandwich bar in Aberdeen.

As I'm stood in the queue, all I can hear is the counter assistant asking each customer the same question - "Butter or meanies ?"

(Meanies - what the h*ll is meanies ?? )

I'm starting to panic, thinking I don't really want to look stupid in front of the gf.

What do I do ? Do I ask what meanies is? Do I go for it anyway ? Do we walk out ?

So looking along the counter, I realised that 'meanies' was actually mayonaise..... it was just the lady's accent.

"Butter, please".

I thought I was lucky in that we have 2 Fish and Chips shops within a five mile radius - which is more than in Brentwood, Essex right now. Unless someone knows better....

I’m with Mike on Pasties - although to be honest I quite like Potatoes  and Swedes (Rutabagas) in with the meat. He may have meant that too.... I dunno.

Best, Pete.

Is one the one in the Village? If so, that is an excellent chippy - I had a superb sausage in batter, chips and curry sauce in there. We then went to the British food shop that is next door and purchased all manner of chocolate that you just can't get in the US, Malteseers, Viscount biscuits, Clubs. Whilst we were in the shop, two of NYPDs finest came in to buy a sandwich for their lunch. Perusing the selection of drinks one of them asked "What **** is Vimto?" Me and the English guy behind the counter tried to come up with a description of it and the best we could do was "its a sort of fizzy sarsaparilla". Convinced he purchased a can - I wonder what he made of it.

• RMweb Premium

Gravy in a pasty?????  How peculiar.  Any juice in a pasty should come from the cooking of the contents in the pastry and from nowhere else - at this rate we'll be getting on to carrot in pasties :O  :no: 

I thought that might be misunderstood when I wrote it.

It was the natural juices I was referring to,

and the ability of the pasty to retain said juices.

Many years ago, the future SWMBO & I went to a sandwich bar in Aberdeen.

As I'm stood in the queue, all I can hear is the counter assistant asking each customer the same question - "Butter or meanies ?"

(Meanies - what the h*ll is meanies ?? )

I'm starting to panic, thinking I don't really want to look stupid in front of the gf.

What do I do ? Do I ask what meanies is? Do I go for it anyway ? Do we walk out ?

So looking along the counter, I realised that 'meanies' was actually mayonaise..... it was just the lady's accent.

"Butter, please".

When I was at school, the lady in local Chinese/Chippy used to ask if we wanted Swarfega on our chips

Is one the one in the Village? If so, that is an excellent chippy - I had a superb sausage in batter, chips and curry sauce in there. We then went to the British food shop that is next door and purchased all manner of chocolate that you just can't get in the US, Malteseers, Viscount biscuits, Clubs. Whilst we were in the shop, two of NYPDs finest came in to buy a sandwich for their lunch. Perusing the selection of drinks one of them asked "What **** is Vimto?" Me and the English guy behind the counter tried to come up with a description of it and the best we could do was "its a sort of fizzy sarsaparilla". Convinced he purchased a can - I wonder what he made of it.

I know the one you mean but I actually live in New Jersey. One is in Westfield the other is in Scotch Plains.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

When I was at school, the lady in local Chinese/Chippy used to ask if we wanted Swarfega on our chips

In the late 70s half our school used to descend on the nearest chippy which was Chinese.

The girl always used to finish each sentence with "Sonnavinigar, tweet now?", at which point all the school kids used to start whistling or repeatedly sayin the word tweet in a high pitched bird like voice!

Kev.

Archived