Please, Please, Please

• RMweb Premium

Back on OP topic (sort of!)

Recently I was compiling a list of medical equipment due for servicing on my work's database and ended up confused.

What happened was that the due dates with leading zeros on both days and months were switched round to US format leaving those without leading zeros in the UK format! It was impossible to spot these straight away so I was led on a bit of a merry dance at first.

Fortunately my colleagues corrected the bug as soon as I found it and reported it!

Now back off topic

The breakfasts around the world looks fascinating! I feel hungry... 

• RMweb Premium

Just struck me, this is the first time

I've come across dates as part of breakfast,

although I have had to resort to prunes for breakfast on occasion.

• RMweb Gold

On topic - Welly, I used to do small scale Microsoft Access databases back in the day, and something similar used to happen. Even if the date format for the database file was set to dd/mm/yy, the first 12 days of each month in a date field were always mm/dd/yy format, on the 13th of the month, and thereafter it would be dd/mm/yy. The only thing you could do was write a bit of code to rectify it.

Off and tangentially on topic, dates, a natural delight whatever their format.

post-14192-0-54135500-1457818174_thumb.jpeg

Btw, when did roughage become fibre?

I’ve lived in the South (of the USA) and must admit to liking a pile of “Grits” topped by two runny Eggs, Bacon (about 12 rashers) and a raspberry Danish - all on the same plate.....

Best, Pete.

Which explains a recently viewed phenomena while on holiday in the Caribbean. At the breakfast buffet the Europeans would make several passes, juice and cereal, cooked, and finally cakes/pastries. The Merkins usually went for one trip and piled it all on.

On topic - Welly, I used to do small scale Microsoft Access databases back in the day, and something similar used to happen. Even if the date format for the database file was set to dd/mm/yy, the first 12 days of each month in a date field were always mm/dd/yy format, on the 13th of the month, and thereafter it would be dd/mm/yy. The only thing you could do was write a bit of code to rectify it.

Off and tangentially on topic, dates, a natural delight whatever their format.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Btw, when did roughage become fibre?

Early versions of Access and Excel would revert to using American format if the date input could be considered as inconsistent. Later versions now take the Windows locale settings and make the format assumption from that.

• RMweb Premium

Early versions of Access and Excel would revert to using American format if the date input could be considered as inconsistent. Later versions now take the Windows locale settings and make the format assumption from that.

I don't remember that in the '80s in DBase2!

BTW, what happened to breakfast?

Lunch? I’m partial to a classic American  “Reuben” - tasty!

Best, Pete.

Oh now you are talking. The best Reuben I ever had was on the ferry that goes from the tip of Long Island to New London, CT.  Absolutely sublime and the last place that I expected to get such a good sandwich. Its the one food item that I really, really miss about living in the US (well perhaps a microwavable Jimmy Dean's sausage and egg muffin - truly the sublime to the ridiculous!).

• RMweb Gold

Pete, a Reuben is heaven on a plate at any time of the day or night.

Why did the sausage roll?

Because it saw the apple turnover.

I'm here all season...

Oh now you are talking. The best Reuben I ever had was on the ferry that goes from the tip of Long Island to New London, CT.  Absolutely sublime and the last place that I expected to get such a good sandwich. Its the one food item that I really, really miss about living in the US (well perhaps a microwavable Jimmy Dean's sausage and egg muffin - truly the sublime to the ridiculous!).

Pete, a Reuben is heaven on a plate at any time of the day or night.

Why did the sausage roll?

Because it saw the apple turnover.

I'm here all season...

I wonder whether it is because of the extraordinary quality of North American “Corned Beef” - which is nothing like the mouse droppings canned variety in the UK? Or possibly the weird combo that works of Corned Beef, Swiss Cheese, Russian Dressing and Sauerkraut....served hot on toasted Rye Bread?

Either way it is a miracle of a sandwich.

Best, Pete.

I wonder whether it is because of the extraordinary quality of North American “Corned Beef” - which is nothing like the mouse droppings canned variety in the UK? 

The first time I encountered a Reuben was in a deli in Concord, NH. It was my first trip to the US and I was totally unaware that the corned beef I was going to get was in actuality what I recognised as salt beef (more or less). My sandwich came, I looked at it and thought "but where is the Fray Bentos, they said corned beef". I was disappointed until I tasted it.

American corned beef is sort of in between pastrami and salt beef. Much nicer than the compressed mouse loaf (Calvin & Hobbs) that shares its name in the UK. Gimme a good pastrami or Montreal smoked meat on rye bread with deli mustard and sliced gherkin. (not the awful sweet things here) Never been a big fan of sauerkraut.

May have to pay Monty's Deli on Druid st a visit this weekend.

Archived