Bachmann 2016 Announcements

Andy Y

Finally, I note that the Class B SHELL BP model is marked as having a 20T load capacity; does this not seem to you to be a little high for such a short tank? (... or is the photo presenting a foreshortened view)?

Pete Fidczuk image of the prototype,

https://hattonsimages.blob.core.windows.net/products/38-777-_1529986_Qty1_cat.JPG

and the Esso 20 ton Class B:

http://www.hmrs.org.uk/photograph-collection/images/1200px/AAX135.jpg

Most of the tanks this size were rated at 20 tons.

One of the photos I took at Warley clearly shows the dog leg split/join in the tank barrel.

Thanks Arthur. I wasn't aware of that thread.

P

So keep your cash in your wallet. If the current product continues to sell despite any shortcomings, the manufacturer will conclude that (enough of) their customers find it satisfactory and there will be no incentive to upgrade it.  

The same goes for all prices. If you consider a product too expensive, don't buy it; if you buy it anyway, then it's not really "too expensive", is it?  

John

Ummm, yes, that was exactly my point.  I've already made the decision not to buy, as for me its too expensive for what it is.  But anyhow, yes, overall I agree that it takes enough unsatisfied customers to instigate change in any product or service provided by any manufacturer.

I don't understand this, there prototypes have a very obvious join in the plates. What is not usually well modelled is that the outer ones should be on one side and the middle one on the other. 

Hi Paul,

I had a go at explaining the error in the opposing horizontal tank welds in this post:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/96640-Bachmann-branchline-announcements-for-20156/page-41&do=findComment&comment=2191186

but after seeing the decorated Esso & Shell-BP class B's at Glasgow it looks like Bachmann might have them right after all. Not only that but looking at Andy Y's high resolution images in this post:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/105575-Bachmann-anchor-mounted-tanks-at-warley/&do=findComment&comment=2111944

Bachmann appear to have represented the Horizontal welds that are 180 degrees diametrically opposed along the bottom of the tank. To me it's such a pity that the rows of rivets for the anchor plate are missing from along the solebar as these were such a signature feature of this type of tank wagon.

P

It'll buff out with T-Cut.........

Somehow I don't think even course valve grinding paste will be enough to polish that joint line out. :mocking_mini:

I reckon some Isopon P40 (Hairy Stuff) first, then an attack with some 80 grit wet & dry.

But why? Surely the design and production engineers could have come up with a better solution than a prominent dog leg joint/furrow.

P

good job they did not announce too much . Still hell of a lot items to get into production and at what price I hate to think . Personaly I think Bachmann are pricing them sefs out the market . 

• RMweb Gold

What you expect people to renumber them in this time of easy gravitation I'm shocked. Need to set down. Next you'll want me to open my own boxes.

Weathered well that's bu#$@r them for a start.

Just thought I'd take the opposed view really. Keep the argument balanced

• RMweb Gold

good job they did not announce too much . Still hell of a lot items to get into production and at what price I hate to think . Personaly I think Bachmann are pricing them sefs out the market . 

Just pricing themselves out of part of the market?

• RMweb Premium

Pete Fidczuk image of the prototype,

https://hattonsimages.blob.core.windows.net/products/38-777-_1529986_Qty1_cat.JPG

and the Esso 20 ton Class B:

http://www.hmrs.org.uk/photograph-collection/images/1200px/AAX135.jpg

Most of the tanks this size were rated at 20 tons.

Thanks Arthur. I wasn't aware of that thread.

P

Thanks for that - it was clearly a foreshortening effect in the image.

I remain convinced that a tighter joint between the tank sections could and should have been possible.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I hope Bachmann read this...  I'll reiterate it when I meet with them in a couple of weeks time.

Their price rises have crippled their rolling stock sales (With us at least)

I had a quick look at our figures from1st jan to today, then compared the same from 2012.

In 2012, from combined sales of Bachmann and Hornby, Bachmann commanded 62% of  OO locomotives sold. 

in 2016, it is only 23%

and the overall number of locos sold from both is down by 30%

People are beginning to accept Hornby prices (at the lower end at least - The J50 and sentinels have done pretty well. -large pacifics and top-end diesels tend to gather dust)

Bachmann prices are already too high, and if prices are up again this year, then sales will slump further.  There is no more blood left in the stone.

It looks like I'll only order a Blue Pullman if I'm asked for one (and a deposit is paid) - I'd be tempted to invest the money in 75 or so plastic kits, rather than what is likely to be an expensive wall decoration in the shop.

Second-hand sales are flourishing, and prices are holding up, Track, scenics, kits and accessories are doing great, but I couldn't run a business based on sales of rolling stock, even if it does command most of my display space, and is the focus of most chatter.

@trains4u

Obviously up to you if you want to post an answer but are absolute £ sales down for Bachmann vs 2012? I'd also what the relative release schedule has been both between /2012 and now as well as between Honrby and Bachmann to understand whether that skews an overall percentage sales figure.

By way of cross reference, 9 out of my last 10 purchases have been Hornby locos not Bachmann. My decision to buy is not brand or price driven but availability. Simply Bachmann have not released anything that's been new PR interested me since the summer. Given most of the stock coming through now is reliveries, then if you've been modelling a while then you are likely to already have eg a Lms patriot, and therefore less likely to buy.

David

I do think that passengers should be included in a bag for retro fit and hopefully they will be of good quality and varied.  what will this mean in terms of a price increase though £3 more, £5 more?  Pity they haven't yet started to fit OO Mk1s with proper dcc lighting not just table lamps like the Pullmans and Nightcap cars.

Perhaps they could include a bag for people who want to depopulate their coaches to put them in? ;)

I hope Bachmann read this...  I'll reiterate it when I meet with them in a couple of weeks time.

Their price rises have crippled their rolling stock sales (With us at least)

I had a quick look at our figures from1st jan to today, then compared the same from 2012.

In 2012, from combined sales of Bachmann and Hornby, Bachmann commanded 62% of  OO locomotives sold. 

in 2016, it is only 23%

and the overall number of locos sold from both is down by 30%

People are beginning to accept Hornby prices (at the lower end at least - The J50 and sentinels have done pretty well. -large pacifics and top-end diesels tend to gather dust)

Bachmann prices are already too high, and if prices are up again this year, then sales will slump further.  There is no more blood left in the stone.

It looks like I'll only order a Blue Pullman if I'm asked for one (and a deposit is paid) - I'd be tempted to invest the money in 75 or so plastic kits, rather than what is likely to be an expensive wall decoration in the shop.

Second-hand sales are flourishing, and prices are holding up, Track, scenics, kits and accessories are doing great, but I couldn't run a business based on sales of rolling stock, even if it does command most of my display space, and is the focus of most chatter.

Or as Boots once said their objective is to have profit from their shelf space not dog biscuits for their customers.

• RMweb Premium

Holy crap! No wonder you've cancelled your preorder.

I see they've got the yellow end ones still on sale for £171 though - at that price you could probably get one and have it pro repainted for less than the new release!

Cheers,

Paul

Yep I think that may be the way I go.

I'm far from disappointed and it's nice to see the NSE liveried announcements for the 30th anniversary, although I wish Bachmann had taken some bravery pills and offered us a EMU with a coat hanger on the roof. (Class 309 or 312 would be my personal bias).

They did

@trains4u

Obviously up to you if you want to post an answer but are absolute £ sales down for Bachmann vs 2012? I'd also what the relative release schedule has been both between /2012 and now as well as between Honrby and Bachmann to understand whether that skews an overall percentage sales figure.

By way of cross reference, 9 out of my last 10 purchases have been Hornby locos not Bachmann. My decision to buy is not brand or price driven but availability. Simply Bachmann have not released anything that's been new PR interested me since the summer. Given most of the stock coming through now is reliveries, then if you've been modelling a while then you are likely to already have eg a Lms patriot, and therefore less likely to buy.

David

I see your point, and whilst my example is potentially flawed, it still illustrates a point.  Sales of rolling stock, as a proportion of turnover, has declined significanlty, both in overall cash value and more dramatically so in units sold.  this applies to all manufacturers.

For many years Bachmann sales dramatically outstripped Hornby - simply because the quality/Price ratio was perceived to be better.

Even when releases were thin on the ground, Bachmann would sell consistently better than Hornby.

Now that prices have gone northwards, to the point where the price of big locos is heading remorselesly towards £200, sales have naturally stalled. Customers now physically recoil at the prices - and my staff and I are left attempting to justify them to potential purchasers.

Rolling stock used to be the "Bread and Butter" business - not any more.

Hatton's haven't gone into wholesale second-hand dealing for the giggles.  There is little income to be made from new rolling stock sales.

I appreciate this may all sound very negative - I'm not seeking sympathy - the business is doing OK - we are focusing on areas of growth and profit.  But that change in focus will be to the detriment of manufacturers and ranges that are perceived to be either poor value, or high risk, and right now, that is shiny new large OO locomotives and train packs.

• RMweb Gold

Excuse me if this has already been said (long thread this... ;) ) but scanning over the 2016 pricelist just now some items do appear to have been increased, like the Patriots - 2015 RRP £154.94, 2016 RRP £164.95.

• RMweb Gold

Rolling stock used to be the "Bread and Butter" business - not any more.

Hatton's haven't gone into wholesale second-hand dealing for the giggles. There is little income to be made from new rolling stock sales.

I appreciate this may all sound very negative - I'm not seeking sympathy - the business is doing OK - we are focusing on areas of growth and profit. But that change in focus will be to the detriment of manufacturers and ranges that are perceived to be either poor value, or high risk, and right now, that is shiny new large OO locomotives and train packs.

I guess it's a case of whether you and other retailers shifting to survive has a similar impact on overall profits. Then it's a case of whether a parent company is in it purely for profit margin or there's any passion for the product left? If it's just about profit then they can dump ranges purely because they don't make enough for the shareholders even though they still make money. You see it all the time in big business, it doesn't make enough compared to other products so we are focusing on 'the Core business', ie the bigger profit margins. Whether anyone else would have the cash to pick up the pieces would remain to be seen. The Chinese manufacturers dumped several small US model companies a few years ago because they didn't bring in enough business so they concentrated on the bigger orders.

Archived