Bachmann 2016 Announcements

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Are wages actually going up in China? The available evidence is that they are not and have declined somewhat. I posted a graph here showing them declining since 2013, with a slight uplift in January 2016, but still well below 2013 levels.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/97313-the-engine-shed/page-15&do=findComment&comment=2209349

The production cost is rising and their parent company wanted to know why similar detailed models sold for more in Germany so prices have increased. You have to look at the profit margins as those above Bachmann UK aren't enthusiasts. Just look what fun Hornby are having when money becomes everything and just making a profit isn't enough. Shareholders demand maximum return and if they don't get it then they demand improvement or drop the range and concentrate on more profitable lines. If you can show the line is consistent with other parts of the market then they accept it but as we are in a global market comparisons with European prices, especially as Bachmann sell in both, are inevitable.

None of us want to pay more than we've been used to but I was looking at a HO EWS liveried 66 at the weekend at just under £200, the stripe was too yellow rather than golden and the maroon too dark to my eyes, I'd buy the Bachmann one over that any day. Someone produced that for the European market so it establishes a value relative to the OO one that the accountants will pick up and say how does the model compare in complexity to our own production? They don't worry about the radio antenna being in the wrong place unless there's a precedent as to why a model didn't sell. As John said all you can do is vote with your feet but then they might deem it was the livery rather than detail problem that sold poorly so you need to feed that back to the company politely not just post on forums. If enough did that then they would get the message but I suspect enough fall into the, 'it looks right to me category', to not bother complaining direct.

As for Heljan HO 66, these would appear to be not selling well, as I recently picked up a brand new Class 66 in Captran livery for 99euro from a German model shop.

• RMweb Gold

Not sure who was manning the stand, as I didn't go to Warley '15, but this lack of subject knowledge as described is poor.

The variant is the single most common nose style worn by the 193 locos, 165 receiving it, and it being relatively long-lived, certainly dominating the TOPS blue era.

(It's not a dissimilar story to Bachmann ignoring the two most common Brush Type 4/ Class 47 permutations, when you think about it....)

Did you really expect them to have experts on every model on the stand? The design office do the research but you'll be talking to the sales team so they may know a bit about the models and future plans but they aren't going to be experts in the details. Not everyone is an enthusiast who works for them, I know a fair amount about railways but apart from recognising a 45 couldn't give you any such details!

If you have detailed queries it's far better to address them in writing to Bachmann so they can pass it onto their expert to reply.

At 20% per annum for 2014, 2015 and now 2016, prices should now be in the range of a 73% increase over 2013 pricing. Forewarned is forearmed and none of the price increases should come as a surprise.

Salary is rising at 20% PA but that should not be the same rise in total costs. Material prices are not rising that fast. In fact both raw plastic and transportation costs should be falling along with the price of oil. Salary is only one part of the total cost of the models.

Did you really expect them to have experts on every model on the stand? 

If you have detailed queries it's far better to address them in writing to Bachmann so they can pass it onto their expert to reply.

I wasn't there, nor do I generally shop at the big shows, so I'm completely neutral!  Nor do I have use for anything TOPS, so this common late-outline Peak is of no interest to me either.

What I really meant was that it is disappointing if, at a show like Warley, the manufacturer is only being represented by contract labour acting as effectively 'unskilled' sales personnel.  Bear in mind, Bachmann has the tooling in question, it has previously made the loco to this design as special editions of 504 in quantity.

Liveries wise with the 319s you have got:-

• NSE
  • Connex (Yellow)
  • Thameslink (Grey)
  • Thameslink (Blue and Yellow)
  • First Capital Connect
  • DfT plain white with blue doors
  • Northern Rail

There were two variants of NSE (not including the various sector/TOC branded versions), at least one other Thameslink livery (silver and blue/yellow), plus all the rebranded versions, also Southern livery, there were two Connex liveries (there was a "Brighton Express" version), there was the "Transforming Thameslink" liveries on 364 and 365, various advertising liveries (including Continental Airlines on at least three units), and there is now London Midland livery to add too. I'm sure it equates to well over 15 livery combinations, perhaps as many as twenty and Arriva might add a new livery to the mix yet!

Probably the clincher is that in it's modern Northern guise it fits well with the other WCML equipment on offer these days as well...

Yes indeed, it gives the unit a few years of life again and the electrification of he North West is reasonably big news recently in the real world. 

The 455 could have been a basis for class 317, and 318. The 319 could be a basis for 320, 321, 322, 456

There's no real reason why the 319 couldn't be used for some vehicles in a 317/2, and other units going from there.

That would impact on RevolutioN Trains plans...

RevolutioN Trains should hit the market before Bachmann could get one out, but that doesn't mean Bachmann shouldn't look at it.

As an aside, the 319s have worked the WCML for quite a long time. I remember them getting as far as Rugby before the millennium although I can't remember on what service (possibly the Clapham Junction workings).

East Croydon and beyond.

They could (which is a big plus of course) - but the Electrostars were not around in the late 90s (and thus were seen alongside BR blue / InterCity / Railfreight / NSE liveried stock).

The 319s by contrast not only have lots of liveries but have been around for a lot longer giving more era possibilities.

Electrostars also have many small variations that might require new mouldings, even amongst the individual sub classes of the 377, Though I would have expected an Electrostar before a 350 really. There are only three varieties of 319 requiring 5 designs of coach (assuming a different obstacle deflector requires a whole new coach and one extra window also requires a whole new coach).

I was expecting little but we got even less. I think the negativity is a reaction to not even meeting low expectations. I model N gauge and they have announced only a single piece of new motive power. Now granted the 319 is an excellent choice of EMU and I am glad to see NSE getting some love but it doesn't really help with the fact that I cannot see anything in the new announcements that I will be buying.

Everyone is looking for different things I guess, but I personally think, for the first time in many years, there is actually things on the list that I want.

• RMweb Gold

I wasn't there, nor do I generally shop at the big shows, so I'm completely neutral! Nor do I have use for anything TOPS, so this common late-outline Peak is of no interest to me either.

What I really meant was that it is disappointing if, at a show like Warley, the manufacturer is only being represented by contract labour acting as effectively 'unskilled' sales personnel. Bear in mind, Bachmann has the tooling in question, it has previously made the loco to this design as special editions of 504 in quantity.

I think it's more the staff they have free that weekend from the offices and parts depts prepared to do some overtime ;)

There's usually some of the more knowledgeable staff there but tied up with media most of the day.

I've found even a senior member of staff from one manufacturer pretty much uninterested in helping one year but brimming over to chat on a subsequent occasion so unless they are downright rude I tend to accept bad day as a reason.

I like to drop hints as much as the next into a conversation as to what I'd like to see ;)

• RMweb Gold

RevolutioN Trains should hit the market before Bachmann could get one out, but that doesn't mean Bachmann shouldn't look at it.

From a competition point of view I completely agree with you, from a consumer choice I disagree - I don't think competition on the same units helps either Farish or us (Revolution) as the market is just too small. With both Farish and Revolution producing two different but potentially complementary units that is fine but if we were both going for the same 3xx it would be a disaster (for both).

Cheers, Mike

How much do you reckon the 166s will be?

Been a while since they were originally made... One would imagine there isn't as much loose detail as modern tooled trains (so less labour cost for manufacture) but I really am interested to see how much they will be. Considering some coaches are £50+ and the 166 is motorised and has directional lights I would guess about £200 but am wondering what others think? (Though I think £200 would be way to much for it. I would be happy with £150-60)

How much do you reckon the 166s will be?

Been a while since they were originally made... One would imagine there isn't as much loose detail as modern tooled trains (so less labour cost for manufacture) but I really am interested to see how much they will be. Considering some coaches are £50+ and the 166 is motorised and has directional lights I would guess about £200 but am wondering what others think? (Though I think £200 would be way to much for it. I would be happy with £150-60)

How long is it since they were in the catalogue?

We have this datapoint.

Prices were discussed and when published it is likely that customers will see a lower price increase of 2-4% year on year for products which are in consecutive catalogues. Where any larger increase may be seen would be on a product which has not been in the catalogue for a few years and may have to catch up with current production costs.

If it has been a while, then I suggest they will go up considerably.

Just looking at some of images available now & somebody in the Bachmann art department definitely has a thing for Cambridge.

08631 - based at Cambridge in NSE livery.

47576 - long association with the Liverpool St - Kings Lynn line, likewise the NSE liveried RMB.

The NSE liveried 101 DMU has Cambridge as one of its destinations (as did the recent blue/grey 101)

And finally the N gauge NSE train pack based on the Liverpool St - Kings Lynn line.

Not complaining, just saying.......

• RMweb Gold

Please will you excuse me if pictures similar to these have been uploaded, however I just arrived home from the Bachmann Roadshow in Bristol where some of the new models for 2016 were on display. There was also a Dynamis demo and an overview on the Pocketbond range, along with various other diplays.

So to the pictures - I had taken a lot more, including N gauge, however my phone struggled in the light of the room so here's the best ones:

Some of the 2016 train sets

25360836382_703b39f3f0_z.jpg

Bachmann Train Sets 2016 by Derails Models, on Flickr

Diesels No.1

25453193296_a966113097_z.jpg

Bachmann 2016 Diesels No.1 by Derails Models, on Flickr

Diesels No.2

25479335715_3ed3290bdb_z.jpg

Bachmann 2016 Diesels No.2 by Derails Models, on Flickr

Diesels No.3, inc. something I'm looking forward to:

25479347455_4f8a775931_z.jpg

Bachmann Diesels No.3 by Derails Models, on Flickr

Some of the NSE range:

25479353475_bb6487e40c_z.jpg

Bachmann 2016 NSE Range by Derails Models, on Flickr

And that's all, back to eating my fish & chips now...

• RMweb Premium

Funny that there doesn't seem to be much mention of these around the forum with them now being listed as  "In Production" .

Is nobody interested in them?

attachicon.gifBgill-MRS-2106-28-EditSm.jpg

P

I have all versions on pre-order - but I have to say that I'm somewhat disappointed with the very obvious joints in the three-part tanks.

I know that these facilitate alternative tank end mouldings, but I would have expected that less obvious joint should be possible.

There's not a lot of point Bachmann applying beautifully authentic liveries if the tank appears ready to shed its load !!

Out with the filler and paint (again).

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Very interested P. There were finished samples at Warley and I posted a pic then, they seem to have been otherwise ignored.

They looked very nice though there was a rather prominent, staggered, joint line on the tank, the suggestion being that it allowed longer tank variants at some time.

I shall probably be having a few.

Edit; beaten to it by John.

I have all versions on pre-order - but I have to say that I'm somewhat disappointed with the very obvious joints in the three-part tanks.

I know that these facilitate alternative tank end mouldings, but I would have expected that less obvious joint should be possible.

There's not a lot of point Bachmann applying beautifully authentic liveries if the tank appears ready to shed its load !!

Out with the filler and paint (again).

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I don't understand this, there prototypes have a very obvious join in the plates. What is not usually well modelled is that the outer ones should be on one side and the middle one on the other. The rivets on this, http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/wagondetailspoetc/e823275d show this very clearly - yes nothing to do with this model but an attempt at explanation. it is rather more difficult to show on welded tanks.

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/smbpanchor/h9b128f0#h9b128f0

Paul

It's only 20% for the labour costs, so imho Bachmann's price rises are not justified.

20% of what? Where did that figure come from? Can it be validated or is it just made up? I'd have thought that the labour percentage of the variable costs for model production were significantly higher and material costs quite small.

G.

• RMweb Premium

I don't understand this, there prototypes have a very obvious join in the plates. What is not usually well modelled is that the outer ones should be on one side and the middle one on the other. The rivets on this, http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/wagondetailspoetc/e823275d show this very clearly - yes nothing to do with this model but an attempt at explanation. it is rather more difficult to show on welded tanks.

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/smbpanchor/h9b128f0#h9b128f0

Paul

Paul,

What I am referring to are what appear to be exaggerated plate joints which, when they meet the saddles, do a dog-leg across the top of, and then down the outer face of the saddle brackets.

I can see why this has been done - so that the central tank section / saddles / anchor plates moulding can be used with alternative end moulding to produce a variety of tank wagons of varied length and fittings.

From the display case photos - and these may be misleading - the joints between the three separately moulded sections of the tank look to be unduly prominent.

We will only know for certain when we have the model in our sticky mitts - but all the photos that I've seen of samples seem to exhibit this 'sectional' look.

Finally, I note that the Class B SHELL BP model is marked as having a 20T load capacity; does this not seem to you to be a little high for such a short tank? (... or is the photo presenting a foreshortened view)?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Archived