Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Jazz 7mm Workbench

jazz

Hello Jazz,

before you start throwing paint on the loco and tender please have a look at the footplate heights, as the tender footplate looks to be about 6" above the loco's. Most locos and tenders tended to have the footplate at the same hight, plus or minus a 1/2". But not 6".

OzzyO.   

Most locos and tenders tended to have the footplate at the same hight, plus or minus a 1/2". But not 6".

There is ineviably some variation according to the wheel wear on the loco and the loading of the tender, but for straight-framed Bulldogs, I disagree. See, e.g.:

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrkd121.htm

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrt354.htm

I agree that the tender/footplate heights are considerably different. (I was perplexed at first). After studying many photos in a few actually showed the fall plate climbing up to the tender. So I reckon it's just about right.

The 'shoveling plate', is that the correct term? appears to have been adjusted by Swindon on these 'Standard' tenders to suit the footplate height of the loco. I seem to remember that it was mentioned in the instructions on one of these 4-4-0 kits that I have built and you needed to reduce the 'shoveling plate' supports to get it to the right height.

Regards

Sandy

Hi Sandy.  The shovelling plate is just 2" above the loco floor (just about what many photos show.)  It looks worse on my model as the fall plate has slipped down giving an exaggerated 'climb up' look. I am going to modify the hinge design before priming tomorrow. I think it's worth the effort of dropping the shovelling plate 1.9mm. Especially as I'm going to insert thin card between the loco chassis and the body as I feel the whees are a tad too close to the splashers.

Just looked at your photo more closely and I now see what you mean. The front of the fall plate should, in reality, sit on the footplate of the loco. Yours appears to be a mill or two below, which is causing the rear of the footplate to be too high. The height of 'shoveling plate' looks to be about right, according to the posted photos, with the loco footplate being about half way between the tender footplate and the top of the 'shoveling plate'.

Sandy

Edited by Sandy Harper

The 'shoveling plate', is that the correct term? appears to have been adjusted by Swindon on these 'Standard' tenders to suit the footplate height of the loco.

I'm not sure what the correct term for it is either, but yes, that was normal practice, to ensure the loco fallplate was reasonably level. 'Adjusting' the box structure however was not trivial, which is why, depending on what was in 'the tender pool', locos were often re-united with the tender they came into the works with.

post-133-0-53076300-1503569365.jpg

Hi all.  I did have time today to modify the fallplate.  I had already raised the cab floor 2mm anyway.  So I think all is well with it now. (I hope).

post-150-0-13453600-1503595732_thumb.jpg

Have to say, it all looks very grotty close up before polishing up for priming.

Edited by jazz
  • Like 5

There is ineviably some variation according to the wheel wear on the loco and the loading of the tender, but for straight-framed Bulldogs, I disagree. See, e.g.:

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrkd121.htm

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrt354.htm

The variations due to tire turning would amount to about 3" max. new tires on the loco and old tires on the tender. Or the other way around.

And Pershore Plum herself

attachicon.gifIMG_0523.JPG

Dave

I'm not sure what the correct term for it is either, but yes, that was normal practice, to ensure the loco fallplate was reasonably level. 'Adjusting' the box structure however was not trivial, which is why, depending on what was in 'the tender pool', locos were often re-united with the tender they came into the works with.

attachicon.gifshovelling-plate.jpg

Names of parts of a loco are quit important as some of them may sound as thought they are the same but are not.

The running plate is the "flat" or not so flat part of the loco above the driving wheels, this is also the same name on the outside of a tender (apart from the tender not having any driving wheels in most cases).

The shovelling plate is the part of the tender hopper that the coal drops down to and then the coal is shovelled into the firebox. 

The footplate is the part of the loco that is inside of the cab-side sheets.

The engine depending on the overhaul would nominally take longer than the tender so it's (?) tender would go back into traffic before the engine and on a different engine of the same class. Or a class of engine that could take that type of tender.

Please note that I'm saying engine and not loco, as a loco is a full system that can work.

OzzyO.

PS. tank locos are different in all respects to the above. 

Edited by ozzyo

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all. At last I was able to get on the WB this week.  Tackling the Warren Shephard 45xx kit. I reckon this is not a kit for the beginner at all.  With a bit of patience it can be built into a nice representation of the prototype.

There is fairly basic instructions backed up with a lot of photos on the supplied CD. This include instructions, photos of the model under instructions and prototype photos including detail photos. All very useful.

The hardest parts of the build is the curve around the bunker to mate up with the rear panel. That took a fair bit of time with a small hammer and steel rods.  The other tedious part was the punching out of the rivets. There are printed sheets to past on the backs and then punch out the rivets on the dots.  Very difficult to get straight rows of rivets.

The castings are very nice, all are lost wax. The con rods and coupling rods are from Premier Components.

Still got the beachhead to do and the pipework behind the cab steps.

I am undecided wether to finish it in BR black of green. I will have the early BR crest which ever colour it will end up in.

post-150-0-27132200-1506101258_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-88984400-1506101272_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-47318300-1506101291_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-69237800-1506101327_thumb.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 5

Hi Ken,

I did one on here last year. Mine's in BR lined green but I need to complete the weathering. A Gladiator L1 and Duchess distracted me.

There are some shortcomings in the etchings but they are more than compensated for by the excellent brass castings. The only one I changed was the water level gauge in the cab,for one from Hobbyhorse.

Cheers,

Peter