Bachmann announcements

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Well, it's comforting to know you could wedge a 16 tonner under one, upright. You'd probably have to take the buffers off though.

Done that (take the buffers off I mean :rolleyes: ) - much easier than those 'orrible self-contained things as all you had to do was get out whatever piece of bent wire was holdng the back end in place against the rubber washers and away you went. A quick pull with a loco and all your lock buffer problems with solved with a very satisfying clang as the buffer spindles landed on the railhead.

AlL of which helps to explain why vehicles could end up with odd, or very odd, buffers.

Never tried to get one upright under a bridge tho' - that would be skill.

Just a thought that crossed my mind earlier today....

Bachmann invested all that money on the scanning equipment for the NRM Deltic. Are they going to put that equipment to further good use; I wonder if we will be seeing future models up to the same spec as the NRM Deltic?

• RMweb Premium

Well, it's comforting to know you could wedge a 16 tonner under one, upright. You'd probably have to take the buffers off though.

Very good. My point was simply that what might seem like a strange measurement - 16'-6" - has more applications than just wagons. :). And if anyone has a warning sign on a bridge on their layout showing a greater height, it should be changed.

Bachmann invested all that money on the scanning equipment for the NRM Deltic. Are they going to put that equipment to further good use; I wonder if we will be seeing future models up to the same spec as the NRM Deltic?

Judging by some reports on here they already have, and are likely to !!!

I couldn't possibly comment on whether or not Bachmann personnel have been observed at Quorn scanning 25265's cabsides.

But I wish they would !!!!

Jolly good then! (Obviously I don't have time to read everything everyday, otherwise I wouldn't have made such a comment)

Can't wait to see the results!

Hint - if anyone from Bachmann's reading - hows about a nice new Class 50  B)

• RMweb Gold

I couldn't possibly comment on whether or not Bachmann personnel have been observed at Quorn scanning 25265's cabsides.

But I wish they would !!!!

I would think judging by the sorry state of this loco they may have been measuring rust![not that they were really there]!Don't know who owns it I think it first got stopped with a water leak but it has not moved since.A sad state of affairs but keeping loco's running is a costly business!

One more comment worth making is the likely cost of the new models, which are coming out at least 15 to 20% chepaer for equivalent sized models compared to Hornby. We now know they are literally coming out of the same factory, so why the differential? In the current climate value for money really matters, for example I will be purchasing my new Bachmann catalogue today from the Monk Bar model shop for a fiver, but the £10 Hornby one will definitely be staying on the shelf!

.... We now know they are literally coming out of the same factory, so why the differential?

....for example I will be purchasing my new Bachmann catalogue today from the Monk Bar model shop for a fiver, but the £10 Hornby one will definitely be staying on the shelf!

Perhaps it's an example of pricing to what the market will stand?

As long as people are prepared to pay, that's what they'll charge.

p.s. I haven't bought a Hornby catalogue for three years now. As nice as they are, it's far too expensive for what is in effect a publicity device and being primarlily interested in the D&E models, there's not much in there that I can't get info on elsewhere.

More models in the standard range to the same spec as DP1? I certainly hope so; and had a brief conversation with one of the team on the stand at Ally-Paly last year on this topic. The answer was a cautious 'watch this space'; there's a fine balance between advancing product quality and the price the general market will pay, but certainly the reception the DP1 model received was a favourable indicator.

Since then we have had the 4CEP and Presflo wagons amongst other things. I have only inspected an example of the 4CEP in a shop, but my general perception is that it is pretty close to the external standard of the DP1 model. The level of content among purchasers of the 4CEP, as reported here, seems to be very high too. Same with the Presflos which I have examples of; they are not perfect but certainly don't look shabby.

One more comment worth making is the likely cost of the new models, which are coming out at least 15 to 20% cheaper for equivalent sized models compared to Hornby.

Mostly I reckon Hornby charge more, simply because they can, thanks to the strength of the brand. The way they can discount extremely deeply to move train sets including 'premium' items from their range, is a good illustration of the usual margin they take. In milking the brand for profit, they are damaging it; even some of their 'diehard' customers have noticed that Bachmann frequently offers more for the money where there are head to head comparisons available, and generally has a more consistent range.

That's if they did invest and not hire...

If they did, it's still not much use if there isn't a real one to scan.

late 24, 123, 124, BP....etc etc

Bachmann's latest crop has little for me apart from the 37/0 rerun, but I have to say that their choices do seem to be pretty good selections judging by the overall reaction.

The 7F is the sort of thing that many people will buy as a 'one off' even if it's not really their period/area. The flask wagon is a sure fire winner - prototypical short trains with colourful engines on the front. An indication of a future loco here perhaps.

There's a definate move towards electric traction now, how long was the gap between the last new electric and the CEP? And now there's a selection here and on the way. The predicted BEP will surely come before too long, as will a 4EPB if the 2EPB is a success, they're just too easy not to.

No, no, no, please don't let em know it's wrong! This way there is a possibility Bachmann will have to make a replacement batch of BR1G tenders for disgruntled purchasers, and then there will be a nice heap of unwanted green liveried BR1F tenders available at fire sale prices...biggrin.gif

Sorry, they've replied to me noting the error....

Next we could see Bachmann making a further announcement to the effect that the production of 7Fs and 3Fs will not be confirmed until after the election, as the Tories are very likely to make cuts in the national Model Railway Budget, and something will have to go... icon_e_surprised.gif wink.gif

The Department for Railway Modelling will probably take the view that producing two S&DJR-capable steam outline models and all the other stuff at the same time is an extravance too far and production will be limited to a mere 200 7Fs and 100 AL5 electrics...

The Tory Minister for Railway Modelling will, however, soften the blow by announcing two new card kits to cover the 3Fs and the Derby Lightweights, which will only require the purchase to supply their own cornflakes packet to build it with.... tongue.gif laugh.gif

Statistics released today, through the national press, suggest a perceived proletariat rebellious uprising against this forthcoming manifesto.

Rating figures for

BBC's repeat of "Great British Railway Journeys".......Av...2.1m viewers

Trevor McDonald -- D. Cameron interview..................Av...1.7m viewers

Average rating figures for the Piers Morgan -- G.Brown interview available, on request.

ISHT.

Never mind the political parties, four sustersis and a sheeps horn elicited the following from Mystic Megan on Rhyl market today. Sales of big green LNER engines are good for Bachmann and Hornby, therefore we can expect more of the same in 2011.......Thompson A2-3 'Owen Tudor' and an NRM sponsored large boiler Ivatt Atlantic.icon_razz.gif

Statistics released today, through the national press, suggest a perceived proletariat rebellious uprising against this forthcoming manifesto.

Rating figures for

BBC's repeat of "Great British Railway Journeys".......Av...2.1m viewers

Trevor McDonald -- D. Cameron interview..................Av...1.7m viewers

Average rating figures for the Piers Morgan -- G.Brown interview available, on request.

ISHT.

Which is why you don't get 4mm scale politicians.

• 4 weeks later...

You could always model the parallel universe where the S&DJ 2-8-0 tried on the Toton to Brent trains was a success and produced in some numbers. It still wouldn't have stopped production of the 'Austin Sevens' (in smaller numbers of course) or the Stanier 8Fs. The biggest problem would be deciding on the number series.

Richard

Archived