Bachmann announcements

Andy Y

16'6" eh? It's got to be that length for a reason.

It's actually a Perch, a good old fasioned Anglo Saxon measurement. It does make you think if there is a subconcious reasoning behind the adoption of that length for wagons. I hadn't realised the connection before.

Bernard

The Scalecarft "Lineside transformer site" 44-043 is based upon a particular type of traction substation used for the Maidstone & Gillingham electrification in 1939. About 20 sites in all - I can just hear the rivet counting thread on that starting :lol:

What is wrong with the bogies under 37251 in the new catalogue - they just look wrong - is it case of the computer image of the new body not quite matching ??

Ha ha! Perhaps I could go out in my orange work gear with a camera, clipboard and tape measure and cause havoc amongst the imaginations of modern image modellers! ;) ;) :lol: :lol:

A couple of years ago I spotted (and heard) a Barwell manager in Midland Counties books in Hinckley.

It's got me wondering whether we might see a 1:76 Scalecraft two story warehouse building finished in blue brick in the 2011 announcements.

• RMweb Gold
I think they'll sell - but will Bachmann make enough?

Next we could see Bachmann making a further announcement to the effect that the production of 7Fs and 3Fs will not be confirmed until after the election, as the Tories are very likely to make cuts in the national Model Railway Budget, and something will have to go... :icon_e_surprised: ;)

The Department for Railway Modelling will probably take the view that producing two S&DJR-capable steam outline models and all the other stuff at the same time is an extravance too far and production will be limited to a mere 200 7Fs and 100 AL5 electrics...

The Tory Minister for Railway Modelling will, however, soften the blow by announcing two new card kits to cover the 3Fs and the Derby Lightweights, which will only require the purchase to supply their own cornflakes packet to build it with.... :P :lol:

The Tory Minister for Railway Modelling will, however, soften the blow by announcing two new card kits to cover the 3Fs and the Derby Lightweights, which will only require the purchase to supply their own cornflakes packet to build it with.... :P :lol:

They said those alloy bodies were no good, obviously even cardboard is better :lol:

Guest Max Stafford

It's actually a Perch, a good old fasioned Anglo Saxon measurement. It does make you think if there is a subconcious reasoning behind the adoption of that length for wagons. I hadn't realised the connection before.

Bernard

Bernard, as I understand it, this standard wagon length was derived from the archaic requirement that a wagon should be of no more size and weight than could be drawn by a shunting horse. I think I gleaned this from an old BTF film, possibly 'The New Tradition'.

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Next we could see Bachmann making a further announcement to the effect that the production of 7Fs and 3Fs will not be confirmed until after the election, as the Tories are very likely to make cuts in the national Model Railway Budget, and something will have to go... :icon_e_surprised: ;)

The Department for Railway Modelling will probably take the view that producing two S&DJR-capable steam outline models and all the other stuff at the same time is an extravance too far and production will be limited to a mere 200 7Fs and 100 AL5 electrics...

Fantastic :lol: - I'm glad we're moving out..... if all these people who have 'never voted tory' forget about the 80's & early 90's and actually go & do it.... :wacko:

I think its a good selection, the 3F and Derby lightweight would certainly appeal to me as a combo (Cumbria or S&C?) as would the 37/0 and split box 45- and the wagons content brings alot of potential to those whose wagon kits are still half-built!

I noticed the Scottish Models/Market research comments ealier and concur that if the population density was a factor, especially in relation to the catchment area of the actual locomotive any SR prototypes would be at a serious advantage to ScR or even more 'general north'. To illustrate the point compare how many Scotrail stations would be in excess of fifty miles from a model railway shop- then compare those of Network South East sorry that is 80's/90's terminology but I am not totallly familiar with the operational areas of 'the new' railway!

A couple of years ago I spotted (and heard) a Barwell manager in Midland Counties books in Hinckley.

It's got me wondering whether we might see a 1:76 Scalecraft two story warehouse building finished in blue brick in the 2011 announcements.

Last year I saw a Bachmann rep coming out of the toilets at Modelrail Scotland at the SECC. He was muttering something about "Hand Dryers" and "Hellfire" and disappeared off, to later return with a tape recorder. My mate asked him what he was doing, and he replied he was working on the sound chip for a class 85....

I had it on good authority Bachmann were introducing a range of figures from jeremy kyle which would feature fighting, drug taking ,drinking and eerrr adultery as there current range was too posh and friendly. Unfortunatley they couldn't get close enough to measure anyone!!

Sorry I will go now!

mark

Don't spread it around, but I have it on good authority that Bachmann are making a model of our bathroom carpet smile.gif

In the words of Billy Connolly - If you've not heard a good rumour by 11am, start one.

A couple of years back a couple of friends and myself were measuring up the APT at Crewe for a personal modelling project. We had some very helpful people from the Railway Age opening up various bits for us to allow us to get everything covered but we couldn't help notice we were being followed around by some really 'trainspottery' chaps (Sorry to stereotype, but I'm sure you all know the sort) with a video camera. Just as we were leaving they scampered up asking us which model company we were from... 'Sorry gents. You know how it is, very hush-hush. Keep an eye on the catalouges next year though, you might be in for a treat'.

Sorry to those who'd got wind of an all new APT!

Pic

• RMweb Premium

Bernard

16'-6" is also the standard minimum clearance for road bridges in the UK - anything lower must have a warning or prohibition sign. See paragraph 7.6 on page 28 of the Department for Transport's Traffic Signs Manual Chapter 4 DfT Traffic Signs Manual

This morning the latest Collectors Club Magazine - spring 2010 (vol.10 No.3) - arrived here.

This edition seems to be much bigger than normal too.

There are details on the Collectors Club limited edition model of Tornado - in factory Grey livery. £134.30 inc. p&p

Other LE's are listed...

...another set of 3 private owners open wagons, ready for release,

...already in stock with Hattons - Class 08, the Merseyrail Class 150 and set of 3 weathered Presflo cement wagons,

...Lord & Butler set of 3 weathered Presflo's,

...another Bachmann Anniversary van to go with the previous set of 3.

An article on the Class 105 Cravens DMU's, due to be released in model form later this year.

Interestingly, there's also an article on South West Trains ! - no hints included as to whether there's a 450 in the pipeline. Draw your own conclusions. :D

News of the progress on forthcoming 00 models -

Robinson 04 and the MBA & MBA wagons in production, shipping soon.

Class 03 and Class 105 Cravens DMU running neck and neck - awaiting factory finished livery samples - release in time for Warley perhaps?

2EPB is at the tooling stage - does that make it doubtful for the end of 2010 ?

JPA Cement, IPA car transporter and JJA autoballasters are being checked for accuracy before production of the livery artwork - sounds like Warley ?

LNER A2 at the artwork stage - summer or autumn delivery perhaps ?

Bernard

Bachmann?

Measuring?

Perch?

You'll be starting long welded rumours. biggrin.gif

Bachmann?

Measuring?

Perch?

You'll be starting long welded rumours. biggrin.gif

That Perch reference wasn't lost on me either Martyn !!!

The Collectors' Club magazine arrived this morning and very good it is too.

I was amazed to read that Kader, the parent company of Bachmann, has some 3,800 staff in it's train division.

That's about the number we had at York when privatization's famine closed it. Grrrrr....

Any news on new club models or new Ltd editions from the club magazine (in OO)?

Cheers

Duncan

Doh Ok Ron I wasn't having the brightest of memoments, thanks for the concise details posted above B)

Bernard, as I understand it, this standard wagon length was derived from the archaic requirement that a wagon should be of no more size and weight than could be drawn by a shunting horse. I think I gleaned this from an old BTF film, possibly 'The New Tradition'.

Dave.

That sounds entirely possible as an explaination as to why 16-21 ton wagons were it for so long, that you can't expect a horse to move much more than those sorts of amounts even on flat, steel wheels on steel rails. I know it is perfectly possible to shift a North American car by hand if you have to, but it is a pinch bar operation, not a push one...( 40 ton, not the modern monsters...). It comes down to how much shunting was done by horse in the UK, right up to the 50's using horses. (and they are a good way to move a wagon or two a couple of hundred yards...). I'm the steamy one in the house- wife drove team in Victora (BC, Canada) for 10 years, so she is the horsey one...

James

• RMweb Gold
I noticed the Scottish Models/Market research comments ealier

Of course, a Caledonian Pickersgill 4-4-0 in full blue livery, some matching coaches and a Scenecraft model of Strathpeffer station are the cornerstones of the Scottish National Party manifesto.... :lol:

The little known People's Democratic Highland Railway Movement have promised some Drummond stuff, but the word on the street is that they'll only be able to afford HO if they ever get enough votes not to lose their deposit.... :P ;)

Plaid Cymru have been strangely silent on the matter of forthcoming model railway releases, although rumour has it that they will (i) nationalise Backwoods Miniatures, to enable the mass subsidised production of 009 WHR Garratts and (ii) increase the national debt massively to distribute free Roco Double Fairlies on the National Health... :O

Of course, a Caledonian Pickersgill 4-4-0 in full blue livery, some matching coaches and a Scenecraft model of Strathpeffer station are the cornerstones of the Scottish National Party manifesto.... :lol:

The little known People's Democratic Highland Railway Movement have promised some Drummond stuff, but the word on the street is that they'll only be able to afford HO if they ever get enough votes not to lose their deposit.... :P ;)

Plaid Cymru have been strangely silent on the matter of forthcoming model railway releases, although rumour has it that they will (i) nationalise Backwoods Miniatures, to enable the mass subsidised production of 009 WHR Garratts and (ii) increase the national debt massively to distribute free Roco Double Fairlies on the National Health... :O

But what about the Welsh Assembly's commitment to GW 175 captain ?

There has to be a double framer surely ?

Everyone would say a black dukedog, but I'm not so sure that an Aberdare might sneak out of the woodwork, particularly as they visited Barmouth via Corwen prewar !!

Archived