Bachmann announcements

Andy Y

I am a little disappointed that the "Art Deco" station building components look more like '30s London Transport, who favoured brick, than Southern Railway, who favoured concrete. Never mind; there's still enough bits for a third rail BR(S) layout. The 3 and 7Fs, not to mention the Art Deco signal box, make me want to work out how to get Templecombe into the space I have for a layout that would incorporate both the S&DJR and the LSWR main line.

I've just had a look through the online catalogue on Bachmann's site, and there seems to be a few other things that so far no-one seems to have mentioned.

37-225F, 37-226F, 37-250F, 37-252D and 37-377F for a start (I have a soft spot for the 16t minerals, and have almost every variant that Bachmann have produced except for a limited edition 3 wagon set produced by Modelzone some years ago and 37-252B which somehow eluded me).

33-879 - 45 ton bogie well wagon in LNER grey with boiler load - I suspect my LNER wagon fleet is going to expand considerably this year with all the other announcements.

Reissues of a good number of the BR vans (some of the late versions look good for my 1970s/80s themed layout)

As for the Presflos, could it be that more will arrive with the same running numbers as those already released? They are shown as 'on order' on the Bachmann site. I also noticed that Lord and Butler is listing a special set of three presflos so it may be that more variants of these wagons have been scheduled as limited editions from enough different retailers that Bachmann have decided to put their own general release versions to a back burner? On the other hand, there is nothing to stop them bringing out more production runs unnanounced if demand is there.

Incidentally, how do retailers and magazines go about commisioning limited editions from Bachmann?

This means that the use of numbers 53806, 53808 and 53809 are all correct for the re-boilered later series of 7Fs, but being pedantic, not correct for the earlier (original) batch 53800 - 53805 inclusive, because of the additional packing piece between smokebox and smokebox saddle, that Ian correctly refers to above. Also, on the basis of what we know so far, the Bachmann model wouldn't be quite right for 53807 either, because when they came to reboiler that, they found the smokebox saddle so wasted, that they had to provide a new one, so that loco (which was one of the last 7Fs in service) looks more like an original batch!

I also don't think that they could technically offer any of this model in LMS livery, because this verson with the modified smokebox saddle only appeared in BR days, in LMS days they all had large boilers.

But hey, a R-T-R 7F - who cares?! wink.gif laugh.gif

...and 53809 carried LMS black for several years in preservation IIRC, so they've got some justification for the livery on a reboilered loco

After what I've read on this thread, it seems the S&DJR 2-8-0s have more varieties than Thompsons A2s. I think I've made a case for an A2 now...icon_razz.gif

If Bachmann have made clip-on bogie sideframes for the Class 85, I wonder if other classes could be produced. Yessir, here speaks a bloke who knows now't abow't ow't when it comes to 'under the wires'.

No release date for the MR 3F and tender could mean it could come out anytime. Waiting 9 - 12 months before putting it on the shelves is taking a mighty risk when Hornby could jump in with a suprise! But then again, seeing as both manayufacturers models are moulded at the same factory, no doubt the oriental 007's know exactly what is what nowadays.

If Bachmann have made clip-on bogie sideframes for the Class 85, I wonder if other classes could be produced. Yessir, here speaks a bloke who knows now't abow't ow't when it comes to 'under the wires'.

81- 10'9

82- 10'

83- 10'

84- 10'

85- 10'9"

86- 10'9"

87- 10'9"

All 86's and 87's have smaller 3'9.5" wheels, 81-85 are all 4'. An 81 could share the chassis and the bogies used as the basis for an 86, but I can't see anyone hacking an 85 about when the RRP is GBP 93. I once powered an 89 using a Bachmann 37 chassis at a net cost of 79p once the body had been re-sold, although there is the option of modelling a fire-damaged unpowered loco with the left over bits of Roarer...

• RMweb Gold

B) :D Class 85 great for Me as an ex Nuneaton Man!spilt tea & your head nearly going through the cab ceiling at 50 to 60 MPH as you hit a wet bed in the track!The Lner wagons sound good for a renumber for an early 80's spoil train if anyone will do the transfers?Would have liked mark 2 D E or F but will have to wait!

post-12-126806264209_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I've just bothered to look at the 4 road depot. It looks ***** fantastic; I want two now! :O As for the coaling tower - it is just superb.

Having not really looked at this range until now I am just so impressed AND the already available 'modern' Servicing Depot just reminds me that I should be getting started on a model of Shirebrook circa 1980 ASAP. DCC?

I'm going to send a thank you card to Bachmann.

36E

Guest D.J.K.

A good 85 will be excellent....

Bring on the Electric Blue layouts with green EMUS, steam locos, and all that Electrification architecture....

• RMweb Gold

I knew about the 85 thanks to a well advanced tip off, but I'm very pleased to finally have it confirmed. I can see me ending up with about 8 of them, as some will end up donating running gear to my collection of Trix and Tri-ang 81s.

Just one thing crosses my mind though, who will get there first, me with my scratchbuilt one or Bachmann? Either way its absolutely perfect for Ravensclyffe...

A quick plug though for anyone contemplating buying AC locos, DEMU's UPDate is carrying a series of articles about scratchbuilding Overhead Line Equipment.....

Andi

Just what we wanted - wonderful. BTW who'll be the first to start taking orders for this stuff? I'm not bothered if it takes to 2012 give me more time to save up for it all. Good times are acommin'

Oh wow !!!

I'd not looked at the "accessories" until now but this shed is very much going to be a popular addition. No purpose for it on my layout but it'll certainly have to be acquired for either a diorama, or a future unplanned project. Definately a Bescot or Stafford type shed to my untrained eye.

EDIT

Oh and what about 44-204 ? That looks it'll find a home on loads of budget-spaced layouts does that.

Bachmann will probably get some of my cash though as I'll have a wooden doored LNER high which I'll put a Parkside morton chassis on.

AFAIK, none of the wooden-door variants had the clasp brakegear, which is interesting as they're making a particular point of it as a feature of these new LNER wagons. I suspect there's more to these than meets the eye, something beyond the obvious; I'm inclined to think people wont be re-chassising them by conventional methods

Another penny has dropped for me, presumably with the motor chassis, and a clever body tooling mix, Bachmann may be able to do the single car Derby lightweight unit too.

Ooh dont. Just dont :D

Good News for me regarding the MR 3f and the lner opens and vans. Thank Goodness the SDJR 7F is only being released in BR livery and none in prussian blue or LMS black so I can save a few pennies! Its going to be an expensive year for me with Bachmann's 04 and A2 already on order.

It looks like a very good line-up. I am sure that, even though there nothing there that fits-in with what I try to model, I will end up getting a few of this year's releases. After all why do I have a 4-CEP running to Plymouth in 1951?

A couple of further thoughts, considering Bachmann now seem to have cottened on to the Theme idea...

Firstly, what about the 85 becoming an 84 NRM special (and I don't just mean a quick repaint, but use say the chassis under a new body)?

Secondly, those Art Deco buildings are mainly LT based. Take a look at Cockfosters, Harrow-on-the-Hill etc. Do I detect the beginnings of an LT theme coming in the futre? Sarah Siddons anybody? With a 4TC set to pull?

A couple of further thoughts, considering Bachmann now seem to have cottened on to the Theme idea...

Firstly, what about the 85 becoming an 84 NRM special (and I don't just mean a quick repaint, but use say the chassis under a new body)?

But the chassis isn't alot of use, the nearest available being a Heljan 33. Most people seem to be more interested in the loadbank which would take alot of re-working of a regular 84, but maybe one is on the cards, since i'm working on 84001 at the moment...

That 4-road loco shed could be a shrunken Lees 26F after it got a new roof. Llandudno Junction similar. Only the 1955 date missing above the entrance!smile.gif

Hatton's have 'em on pre order for....... £76 ouch!

Archived