Bachmann announcements

Andy Y

Just read the announcement on the Bachmann website. Interestingly they plan to represent the 350 name 'Apollo' with an etched 'plate!!! cool.gif

(for those who aren't aware, the real thing had one of the modern joke nameplates which was just part of the overall livery wrap)

LOL biggrin.gif

Seriously - that's a great list.

I'm surprised they have announced the plain grey 350, i'd tip that one to hang around on shelves as they were somewhat shortlived and not exactly stunning visually, I guess if anyone wants an SWT one urgently then it maybe gives them an "undec" wink.gif - i'm surprised again that there is no 450 listed also as my suspicion is it's pretty much done - certainly a good bet for next years announcments though, and it's great to see a modern EMU in RTR format - I think the LM ones will sell well for them.

Interested to know more details on "EWS BAA with coil load" - the BAA's historically carried coils "eye to the sky" in BR days, but my impression has been that they have only carried slabs in more modern times - BAA's in coil service have had cradles added to become BCA and BZA.

Hopefully they will have allowed for lots of variations here, assorted floor layouts, full length coil cradles, no floor with box coil cradles and so on. Between that and (you would have to assume) a future BBA there are tons of variations that could be done. cool.gif

The 85 Roarer is a great choice, the 1960 25kV era has been overlooked by Modellers, go and watch the John Huntley Diesel &Electric in 35mm DVD, The the 81 to 85 s hauling maroon ex LMS Stanier stock and on short wheelbase freight wagon trains.

Put me down for half a dozen and to Howes of Oxford, please start on the Sound Decoder right away

Again, apologies if I've missed this, but the leap from an 85 to an 81 isn't that substantial either from what I remember of the real things. Surely an aftermarket opportunity and a few hours work for the skilled practitioners amongst you (note, I didn't say 'us' wink.gif )...

This means that the use of numbers 53806, 53808 and 53809 are all correct for the re-boilered later series of 7Fs, but being pedantic, not correct for the earlier (original) batch 53800 - 53805 inclusive, because of the additional packing piece between smokebox and smokebox saddle, that Ian correctly refers to above. Also, on the basis of what we know so far, the Bachmann model wouldn't be quite right for 53807 either, because when they came to reboiler that, they found the smokebox saddle so wasted, that they had to provide a new one, so that loco (which was one of the last 7Fs in service) looks more like an original batch!

I also don't think that they could technically offer any of this model in LMS livery, because this verson with the modified smokebox saddle only appeared in BR days, in LMS days they all had large boilers.

But hey, a R-T-R 7F - who cares?! ;) :lol:

The other issue is tenders. I seem to recall that while 53806 had a plain welded Fowler tender, 53808 and 53809 both had part riveted types. I wonder if Bachmann have allowed for this? No doubt Brassmasters will come up with a detailing kit to allow for any variations.

• RMweb Gold

The most significant difference between the early small boilered 7Fs (53800-05) and the later, reboilered (ex large boiler 53806-10) was that the former were right hand drive with the associated pipework on the right hand side of the boiler and the latter left hand drive, etc. All except 53807 of the latter had two-piece smokebox saddles, '07 having to have a new one-piece one made when rebuilt and therefore looking like a mirror image of the first 6.

JE

Ah yes, that's another very good point, which will make for some interesting work for those who wish to convert/renumber on of the new Bachmann 7Fs to one of the earlier versions, just like I did when I found I had to renumber my Gibson kit of 53807...., she's now 53804... ;)

Hopefully the 350 will be a resounding success with further modification into a 450 from Bachmann. I wonder if they will look at a 323 in the future with the opportunity to use some of the moulds for a 325?

Still really pleased with the look of the program, wonder just how many liveries the 85 had!

mark

• RMweb Gold

Re the 7F and 3F, this is IMO an intelligent marketing development by Bachmann, as (like all the recent Hornby SR models), they will result in a number of new S&DJR layouts by folk who perhaps hadn't contemplated that so far, so they are creating their own demand, in other words.

The 7Fs certainly made it up the Midland main line to Gloucester and across to Avonmouth on a very regular basis, and one was even used on the Docks branch at Gloucester after repairs (a traditional 'running in' turn for locos that had had attention at Gloucester). North of Gloucester on the main line via the Lickey to somewhere like Washwood Heath or Saltley is possible, perhaps, although I've not seen any photographic evidence for it. Not so sure re Weymouth, however, as per someone's earlier enquiry.

Obviously they were fairly common at Bournemouth, but only really on Summer Saturdays up until 1962.

In truth, they didn't often stray that far from their home line, and unless one modifies the space-time continuum sufficiently to argue that the LMS built a load more of 'em, (thus delaying the building of 8Fs, perhaps), then it's not really a realistic proposition to argue that they could be found in places like Cornwall, North Wales, East Anglia or the Isle of Wight!... ;) :P

But hey, it's Your Model Railway, so if you want one, just get one and run it, I say. How else do I justify an ROD 2-8-0 over the Mendips!...

It's a bit early for me to tell everyone how many of each I'm planning to buy, and I'm still recovering from the shock of buying a new Gibbo 7F kit last September, like one or two other folk did at that time...

However, if anyone plans to buy a Bachmann 3F, with the intention of getting rid of the loco body and using the mechanism to power a 4F, please do get in touch, because I have definite plans for a 3F loco body.

Or perhaps I should be the one to buy the 3F, and offer the OO chassis for sale on here?... ;) :D

There's very little in common between a 323 and a 325!

Hi thanks

must admit haven't studied closely and they have obviously different roles on the railway but would have thought cab/ bogies/ panto and general body shape are closely related? Oh well would still like a 323 though!

cheers

mark

In basic terms, 325s combine 319 shells with 465 ends, the bodyshell jigs being moved from York to Derby for the purpose, and the cab mouldings and assemblies put together on a separate line at Lit. Lane to mimic the Networker line at York.

The 323 is a completely different bodyshell design from Hunslet TPL.

....I'm surprised they have announced the plain grey 350, i'd tip that one to hang around on shelves as they were somewhat shortlived and not exactly stunning visually, I guess if anyone wants an SWT one urgently then it maybe gives them an "undec" wink.gif - i'm surprised again that there is no 450 listed also as my suspicion is it's pretty much done - certainly a good bet for next years announcments though, and it's great to see a modern EMU in RTR format - I think the LM ones will sell well for them......

I think your right about the plain grey ones probably hanging around on the shelves, but the LM liveried versions will be quite popular. Better get them quick though as I don't expect the batch sizes will be all that large considering the cost of these 4-car units. Once they've gone there's a risk they wont be repeated, which is a similar scenario to the current class 150's.

I'm sure success of the LM 350 will improve the chances of a SWT 450 next year. Here's hoping anyway. :)

I'd really like to have 4 or 5 of those... 'er indoors would go ballistic if she read this. :D

The downside......

As predicted, the Mk2 coaches almost bite the dust. No immediate prospect for the aircons either.

The Class 150 doesn't feature at all. I suspect that unless the shelves are cleared of the current batchs, then it may never re-appear again.

The tooling for the Mk2 (Z/A)'s is presumably still there for another day (once existing stocks have finally been depleted and the e-bay prices are going through the roof). It would make sense for anybody wanting these to get them now. Plenty of bargains at Hattons. I trust that if and when another run is done Bachmann will produce a lower proportion of the brake vehicle’s.

The Mk 2d/e/f air cons. Well having established that the Murphy's Irish ones are not being produced by Bachmann anyway (although in the same factory???) we will have to see if the promised BR versions materialise before drawing any conclusions.

The class 150. This wasn't particularly on my shopping list. However I was put off (like many others) the temptation to get one by the oversize mechanism taking up a whole coach. Perhaps we are waiting for the current batches to go before (yes you've guessed it) a re-run with a more appropriate sized mechanism aka the 'N' gauge version.

Given the state of the economy at present Bachmann have done a fantastic job again on producing a new and varied program amongst which there should be something for most modellers. I don't really mind how long it takes for some of these to reach the shops as at least I know what is due to come out will be worth the wait. There is certainly plenty on the list for me to save up for. I had heard rumours of the FNA's which will certaily be popular and whilst completely out of era after travelling behind the 7F at the NYMR last year think that will appear on charters on Rannoch! The 85 was certainly a suprise and I will be adding the Blue one for a future layout. Bachmann really do a good job on the modern wagon front and whilst there is still a few to come from last year such as a rake of Autoballasters it is good to see another run of the Green BP TEA's as I missed out on those. The 170 in Saltire livery I'm sure will do well as the previous Scottish 170's always sell out. I am still looking forward to the modern cement tanks and the OTA and BAA's will also be very good. Although this might sound a bit strange I personally don't like the look of the Class 70 but it is a modern machine and I will still need to add them to my fleet so I am glad Bachmann are producing them. I am sure we will see further items added throughout the year depending on sales such as more liveries on the 150 (I was hoping to see Northern this year) but it is probably right not to flood the market with lots of the same class all a once and there are certainly a lot of 47's about at the moment.

And I was actually hoping this year would see a bit less to tempt me! Well done Bachmann

Thanks,

Mark

Re the 7F and 3F, this is IMO an intelligent marketing development by Bachmann, as (like all the recent Hornby SR models), they will result in a number of new S&DJR layouts by folk who perhaps hadn't contemplated that so far, so they are creating their own demand, in other words.

The S&DJR is rapidly becoming this decade's GWR BLT, it seems.

The above argument does rather go against the 'we don't produce X cause there's no demand' line, mind :D

• RMweb Premium

I think that Bachmann have been much more expansive with their announcements than Hornby who seem to be looking for safe ground. I have to disagree with Andy Y when he says that Hornby are celebrating GWR 175, the 28XX/38XX were widely predicted anyway,I would say it is lip service only whilst Bachmann have ignored it completely, but I do agree it is another topic, I am pleased with the Bachmann announcements there is a bit there for everyone and some unexpected gems, I cant wait to see the four road steam shed

• RMweb Premium

I only got one of my predictions right - a S&D 7F. Should had been obvious to me that a Derby Lightweight would be produced.

The Derby Lightweight is one of my possibilities given that my family lived in Norwich during the 1950s, but will it be the early, almost malachite green, livery with whiskers and early crest or the later DMU green as per 108s?

The 85s also look tempting, either in original electric blue or rail blue. Wonder if the AC Loco Group will produce a limited edition 85101 in Railfreight grey as named by Dick Hardy at Doncaster Works in 2003?

Glad that the 4CEPs are being re-run, just a number change or modified with Commonwealth bogies to represent the Phase 2 units?

Jonathan, the Mk2 's are well known to have been very slow sellers, hence the discounting of stock that's been lying around for a couple of years. There's very little prospect of any further runs unless there's a known demand for them.

The aircon versions are another matter, but would still be a calculated risk bearing in mind what Bachmann's experience with the earlier version has been.

We've got a couple of retailers on here, so maybe they could comment on this?

With the number of possible livery variations, I would have thought further batches of the 150 are a possibility; but unless the current stocks sell, then surely it will put the brakes on any further releases.

I'm hoping there will be plenty more, 'cos they haven't done the ones I'm after yet. ;)

Just looking at the structures, some really interesting ones there. The Art Deco buildings would work well in a lot of places beyond the obvious - the platform structures (particularly the curved end platform buildings) had me in mind of Stratford as it was.

The signal box is gorgeous though, I can see a lot of Southern region layouts sporting one of them.

Is the "minimalist" announcement of modern DMU's deliberately designed to avoid taking business away from selling Desiro's, or is there a 158/166/170 chassis upgrade plan in the works do you think?

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Andy, for the OP.

A very bold programme indeed, and good to see Bachmann is willing to continue offering less glamourous, but no less essential, workhorses such as the Midland 3F. On the loco front, the late crest SR 82019 is good news for me, as are the backdated 37s (D6801 and 37251). Will I keep my 2004 Collectors Club D6717 or replace it with D6801...? The relatively close expected availability dates are encouraging too.

Hopefully the absence of certain older models from the 2010 range, such as the Ivatt 2-6-2T, means that chassis upgrades are being developed for 2011/2012.

A "pause" in the Class 47s is not surprising as the new ones have only just arrived. But I presume it also means no further Limited Editions for the time being on the basis that these are tacked onto production runs of catalogue models. Perhaps Bachmann will start talking to retailers now about further Limited Editions for 2011/2012, to tack onto their next productions runs?

The absence of further Presflos is a surprise, but again timing-wise finalisation of the 2010 range probably pre-dates the first batch appearing and selling so well. And I agree with Coachman (I think it was you!) that the continued lack of early but long lived unglamourous suburban and corridor stock is disappointing.

The new Scenecraft range is the biggest "win" for me. The Art Deco signal box looks great and much like the Southern examples at Dorking Dorking Signal Box from SEMG on-line and Horsham I am familiar with. There's also the TPO apparatus, the Four Road Engine Shed, although where I would fit it I've no idea (a "just in case" purchase if I can get away with it), grounded van body, inspection pit. And the Brute trolleys - does anyone know when they first appeared?

The biggest disappointment for me, but perhaps not surprising, is the limited number of DCC fitted models being offered. I'm happy with all my DCC fitted locos, both Bachmann and Hornby, and have no desire to change the decoders. So Hornby's "with or without" option is ideal. It's also good to see Hornby starting to offer DCC fitted for older models too. Bachmann on the other hand seem to be moving away from DCC fitted towards DCC ready or DCC Sound versions. I'm not interested in Sound (at least not yet) and going by comments on other threads the sound in DCC Sound fitted models is not to everyone's taste (which could be down to the speakers and/or the recording). So how about speaker fitted, non-sound DCC fitted, models? The speakers would be fitted without having to chop the models to fit them, and those who want good sound can choose the replacement decoder accordingly.

Marks overall, 8 out of 10.

• RMweb Gold

If Bachmann has been put off my Hornby's apparently poor sales of Stanier and Gresley coaches, they shouldnt. All modellers want are plain simple RTR coaches with moulded on handles and couplings attached to bogies, not expensive to produce fragile over-engineered models as Hornbys undoubtedly are. I mean what is so difficult in grasping that modellers want 'typical' coaches like suburbans and run of the mill corridor coaches?

Larry G.

Have you seen the Hornby Maunsells? Wonderfully highly detailed models, which seem to sell out as soon as they are produced.

In response to D1592's question, BRUTES were launched on the WR in 1965 and because everyone thought they would look lovely festooned with my generation, notebooks in hand, ten years later, they were rolled out across the network before you could say B*** P******.

I like the look of this.... Lineside Transformer site

and this... Electrical Substation

and this... Derelict Signal Box

I'll be grabbing the transformer site, that's for sure. Add in a 44-038 level crossing and the nuclear flask wagon and that'll do me for now - although I can see other detail bits I can probably find uses for. The 44-510 shelter looks interesting too - not dissimilar to the one on the Heljan Takeley station kit...

Archived