4 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Until last Saturday, I'd never seen a class 88 before. I know, I know; I lead a sheltered life...

So here's my first ever photo of one of these, heading under the M25 at Kings Langley with a northbound "Tesco" liner train.

P1440705 (3).JPG

Do you know what the cut-off rail pieces are for?

John

• Like 2

1 hour ago, proton said:

Do you know what the cut-off rail pieces are for?

John

Dunno John. Presumably for collection at some point in the future.

The fast lines were closed that day, so in effect just a double-track railway out of Euston. It was interesting to see Pendolinos using the slow lines. There was also a signal failure during the afternoon, which caused some congestion. Some trains stopped in the platforms at Kings Langley. I heard a lady climbing up the subway steps and seeing a Pendolino at the platform, enquiring whether that was her local train...

The following day (Sun), all the lines were closed, as was Euston itself.

Edited by Peter Kazmierczak
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, roythebus1 said:

Just found this on a Facebook group, not my picture. Brit with E3167 and an AL3. The AL6 has a camera on the roof for pantograph recording. Note BR cast lion emblem, white cab roof, and original livery. The AL3 has probably just come out of works for air brake fitting single pan, air tanks on the roof. The Brit had recently been in works, photo taken near Newton-le-Willows. 1966.

DCB5EDB5-A795-4D1A-828A-8E9AFFEE95C5.jpeg

I think that's just the transformer header tank on the roof of the 86 - pantograph observation ports were usually inserted in the space where the second pantograph would theoretically go.  Also it appears to be missing some roof equipment and buss-bars - the pantograph looks like it's incomplete too.  The 83 has had its middle window replaced with a grille on the corridor side, but it doesn't look like the air tanks are in place yet (they would be at the nearest end where that shelf-like structure is visible.

One thing that's very clear is the difference in shade between electric blue on the 83 and the darker blue on the 86! 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, roythebus1 said:

Just found this on a Facebook group, not my picture. Brit with E3167 and an AL3. The AL6 has a camera on the roof for pantograph recording. Note BR cast lion emblem, white cab roof, and original livery. The AL3 has probably just come out of works for air brake fitting single pan, air tanks on the roof. The Brit had recently been in works, photo taken near Newton-le-Willows. 1966.

This is a really interesting photo, as it clearly shows the difference in shade between "electric blue" on the AL3, and "rail blue" on the AL6.

The "camera" on the roof of the AL6 is actually the conservator, which all of the class had. It looks like the AL6 is brand new; this might well be its delivery run to Crewe from Vulcan Foundry. If the loco is E3167, this was new in the autumn of 1965, so I suggest that is the date rather than 1966 as suggested.

Edited by Peter Kazmierczak
Just noticed the post by 25kV, which makes similar points to me.
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

When I saw your image at the top of this page @franciswilliamwebb, I prayed that in those conditions, you hadn't just taken close-in three-quarter shots of the passing trains.  That last image is stunning, hope that after 22 years, the frostbite is forgotten.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Ramrig said:

Just trying to identify the Britannia. Looks like 70031 Byron. The number is illegible when you enlarge the picture.

Some one is bound to work it out - original smoke deflectors in late 60's, there can't have been many of those about.

John

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 03/05/2023 at 12:44, roythebus1 said:

I saw that and another at the place some were built. 9Fs on both; never seen this modelled.

Philh

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, 97406 said:

I definitely preferred INTERCITY to Virgin in many ways. Great pics!

I love the Virgin era/livery myself, very much my second childhood train-wise!

Every time I browse through such photos I get the urge to sell all of my stock and start again with privatisation models🤫

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

I love the Virgin era/livery myself, very much my second childhood train-wise!

Every time I browse through such photos I get the urge to sell all of my stock and start again with privatisation models🤫

Politically I didn’t like privatisation at the time, and we are suffering very much today as a result. I did and still do support private operators accessing the network though. Anyhow I’ll put me soapbox away and resume drooling over the pictures! 😄

• Like 4