NEW OO gauge Crowdfunded Class 92 initiative

DJM Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Hi chaps,

Still awaiting the engineers revision.

Literally any moment now (don't throw this back at me when it's appearing late next week though eh? Lol)

Well I hope no one has been holding their breath (a month and a day+).  If so I wonder how long it took them to get to Caledonian Sleeper Blue! LOL!!!

Currently on Skype to China, isn't technology wonderful when it works, going over the revised cad/cam and asking for a couple of changes I spotted the other day, plus 3 additions that add even more detail.

If I get it finished with the engineer in the next 90 minutes I'll publish, but I cannot guarantee that so please don't hold me to it.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

If I get it finished with the engineer in the next 90 minutes I'll publish, but I cannot guarantee that so please don't hold me to it.

Just don't say it Dave! If you're genuinely not sure you can do something in the next 2 hours just don't even mention it. There's no specific expectation. Why put that pressure on yourself?

As far as I can tell you have never once stuck to one of your self imposed deadlines. That's not a moan, that's constructive criticism. Just don't announce them. Communicate yes, but focus on keeping your website up to date and showing progress, not giving deadlines that don't mean a thing. It undermines any progress you're making.

Like I say, please take that as it's intended, not a moan.

Edited by njee20

Well I hope no one has been holding their breath (a month and a day+).  If so I wonder how long it took them to get to Caledonian Sleeper Blue! LOL!!!

I'm pretty sure Dave will post an update when he has some news.... after all he does provide a massive amount of feedback on this and his other projects compared to most of the other bigger players.....

• RMweb Premium

Just don't say it Dave! If you're genuinely not sure you can do something in the next 2 hours just don't even mention it. There's no specific expectation. Why put that pressure on yourself?

As far as I can tell you have never once stuck to one of your self imposed deadlines. That's not a moan, that's constructive criticism. Just don't announce them. Communicate yes, but focus on keeping your website up to date and showing progress, not giving deadlines that don't mean a thing. It undermines any progress you're making.

Like I say, please take that as it's intended, not a moan.

This. x 100

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

One of the things i most like about my business, is that i try to keep pushing the boundaries. It's almost a vanity thing, but as a modeller i think that if it can be done (within a cost framework) , it should be done, and as such i'm just back from a week away tweaking the OO and N gauge class 92 cad/cams to make them even better.

However, there are 1 or 2 very minor and quick changes i still need to do to both version in both gauges to make them acceptable.....after all you can draw the line too soon, go to tooling, and quite simply lose the race. Certainly, i'd rather make sure i couldn't be accused of rushing, as opposed to getting it as right as possible now and , as my strapline says... 'setting higher standards'.

And i truly believe that in both the N gauge and the OO versions the standards for overhead electric locomotive detail will well and truly be set.

The roof well on this particular locomotive has been looked at rather closely and there is a myriad of fantastic detail and detail within detail (the fans beneath the grills for example), pipe runs, rivets (for the counters), separate roof shoulder panels (all in the both gauges), with prototypical gaps between them, and space under the shoulder panels with even more detail.

Yes, you may never notice it or care, but it will be there.

Then there's the 2 types of headlights from the outset, plus slides in the tool to produce the higher coupling height for the MK5 coaches when they come on line, AND an alternate cab layout as the Hotel power needs it's own dedicated cab control system which i hope to include in the modified 92's when they come out. 

Anyway, on with the pictures captured this morning from the OO versions.

Want to know what the rectangle on the left cab front lamp iron is? It's a 'do not move' board, and you will get 2 printed ones in the accessory bag to use if you require.

Don't forget there are 2 replacement valances in the bag too, for those that wish to divest themselves with the N or OO couplers.

The tunnel logo's are to now be separate but with a printed 5% smaller set on each side, the same as the depot plaque and the arrows.

So, feel free to point out any further errors, and yes i know the very visible body underside pipes are missing, but don't worry, they won't be in either gauge.

Cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-84515000-1491133476_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-17812700-1491133483_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-15850800-1491133486_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-15621400-1491133491_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-38204400-1491133502_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Hi Dave,

Dam does that mean I need to order more Caledonain Sleeper 92's at a later date!

Interesting about the revisited cab layout cause we have not been told about that bit yet! Lol

Paul

Someone also mentioned to me in passing about the possibility of adopting the 'halo' type lighting too.

Luckily I've planned for this eventuality on both gauges too.;-)

Cheers

Dave

One of those "I'm sure he thought of that" questions Dave: with the arrows being printed smaller than the etched ones, will the etches cover the printed one OK, bearing in mind the complexity of the shape relative to a circle or square?  Same question I suppose with the tunnel logo as they are see through.

Other than that, looking forward to receiving my three!

One of those "I'm sure he thought of that" questions Dave: with the arrows being printed smaller than the etched ones, will the etches cover the printed one OK, bearing in mind the complexity of the shape relative to a circle or square?  Same question I suppose with the tunnel logo as they are see through.

Hi mate,

Yes, the printed arrows will be slightly smaller that the etched ones supplied.

cheers

Dave

Looking nice.

The only thought is that if you are printing the hoops of the Tunnel logo's 5% smaller, the inner circle of the hoop needs to be 5% Larger.

Just thought I would say this now because that would be easy to miss making the inner edge difficult to cover up with the supplied separate hoops.

Hi Dave,

I think what BR(S) means is, with the 'footprint' of the printed arrows being 5% smaller, because of the angles and lines, will the etched items cover all the printing.  Personally I would have said instead of 5% smaller, the arrows need to be designed to be the same 'correct' size,and based on this, the printing thickness and line widths/lengths then reduced by 5% for the double arrows.

Thanks,

Hi Dave,

I think what BR(S) means is, with the 'footprint' of the printed arrows being 5% smaller, because of the angles and lines, will the etched items cover all the printing.  Personally I would have said instead of 5% smaller, the arrows need to be designed to be the same 'correct' size,and based on this, the printing thickness and line widths/lengths then reduced by 5% for the double arrows.

Thanks,

Unlike for a nameplate, selectively reducing the weight of the lines in the double arrows or polomint circles will make them wrong. Better for those to be printed correct size and to remove them before applying the etched replacements.

Hi Dave,

Really pleased to see the OO CADs; they look great!

Two queries:

- are the bogies perhaps a tad far away from the sole bar? You will know better than me!

- RE the panto; it looks as though only the upper arm raises from the CAD. Will this be remedied so that the both arms raise? I believe it is to be sprung, and I think you said it would be available as a spare?

Thanks in advance,

Dave.

Hi Dave,

Two queries:

- are the bogies perhaps a tad far away from the sole bar? You will know better than me!

- RE the panto; it looks as though only the upper arm raises from the CAD. Will this be remedied so that the both arms raise? I believe it is to be sprung, and I think you said it would be available as a spare?

Thanks in advance,

Dave.

I'd like to confirm point 2 about the pantographs as well.  That has been the weakest point of most previous electric locos and EMUs so far.  Even the Class 350 was far from perfect.  I too would like an accurate representation of the BWHS pantograph, that collapses and raises like to real thing, with the head staying horizontal however high the pantograph is allowed to go by the catenary.

all looking very good so far Dave...

can I ask why are the etched tunnel logo's coming separate rather than on the loco ?

is it a cost thing ? as if they're already on there in printed form I don't understand the point of having the etched one's separate.../

cheers.ste.

can I ask why are the etched tunnel logo's coming separate rather than on the loco ?

is it a cost thing ? as if they're already on there in printed form I don't understand the point of having the etched one's separate.../

cheers.ste.

Merely an educated guess, but fitting nameplates/plaques is quite a precise operation (as Dapol have discovered to their peril with their recent Class 68).  So I would guess that to ensure that every single plaque is glued-on absolutely straight and correct will add quite a bit of time to the assembly of each model - and as the saying goes "time is money", so again at a guess you might be adding a further £10 to the final retail price of the model.  Therefore, a compromise is to print the plates onto the body and then provide the etched plates to fit separately by the user, if he/she so wishes.  If not then at least you have some representation of the plates/plaques with the printing.  Bachmann have done it this way for years, and so too have Hornby (except that the latter do not even supply the plates - if you want etched plates for a Hornby model then you need to go and source them yourself as well as fit them!) 

So all-in-all printed on the bodyside and etched plates supplied separately seems the best solution.  It is certainly my preference anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dave,

Two queries:

Thanks in advance,

Dave.

Hi Dave,

Any chance of some feedback on my above comments?

Also, when is the second payment going to be requested? So far, I've paid £30 for each of my locos (£60 total)

Thanks,

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking great so far Dave, What's the score on the CAD / Tooling?

With Hornby's 87, and Your 92, It's shaping up to be a great year for Electrics at last!

Rich

Edited by surfsup