RMweb

Hornby announce the ex SECR / SR / BR(s) Wainwright H Class 0-4-4 tank as part of their 2017 range

Graham_Muz

• RMweb Premium

It does look beautiful, that SE&CR livery just seems to be the "magic make-up" for any loco.  I  THINK that it is the light, bright green that does it, it is much more cheery than the darker, or paler, colours used by other railways.

Are there any other pre-grouping liveries that MIGHT have the same effect on locos (and people's buying habits) ?

Caledonian Blue

Midland Crimson

Now that they have started to arrive. How do people think they did the polished brass dome. Is it painted plastic? Or is it some special coating? Just curious as I cant see it being actual brass for cost reasons

It's plated plastic.

• RMweb Gold

It does look beautiful, that SE&CR livery just seems to be the "magic make-up" for any loco.  I  THINK that it is the light, bright green that does it, it is much more cheery than the darker, or paler, colours used by other railways.

Are there any other pre-grouping liveries that MIGHT have the same effect on locos (and people's buying habits) ?

S&DJR Prussian Blue.

Rob.

'll never learn will I, just received my Hornby SECR H class having ordered some of the Bachmann SECR coaches to go with it, apart from a large scratch on the bunker the loco runs like a three legged cow backwards and on close examination its either a bent axle or bad coupling rod lock, oh and a set of the steps is hanging off. Phoned the shop and none in stock and none expected, Hornby sold out to pre orders. I am really starting to hate Hornby utterly unreliable, well actually they can be relied upon to produce crap.

So now that's the Hornby D400, Hornby S15 and now the H all with unforgivable quality control issues, oh then we have the Maunsell coaches with dragging breaks and a host of other things.

It's so very upsetting when you are forced to advance order due to pathetically small runs only to receive something that has been treated with contempt! Do there Chinese factories only work on Friday nights? :(

How are other peoples H's running?

'll never learn will I, just received my Hornby SECR H class having ordered some of the Bachmann SECR coaches to go with it, apart from a large scratch on the bunker the loco runs like a three legged cow backwards and on close examination its either a bent axle or bad coupling rod lock, oh and a set of the steps is hanging off. Phoned the shop and none in stock and none expected, Hornby sold out to pre orders. I am really starting to hate Hornby utterly unreliable, well actually they can be relied upon to produce crap.

So now that's the Hornby D400, Hornby S15 and now the H all with unforgivable quality control issues, oh then we have the Maunsell coaches with dragging breaks and a host of other things.

It's so very upsetting when you are forced to advance order due to pathetically small runs only to receive something that has been treated with contempt! Do there Chinese factories only work on Friday nights? :(

Maybe a way forward is to buy from a retailer where you can inspect the product and see it run before purchase?

• Like 4

Maybe a way forward is to buy from a retailer where you can inspect the product and see it run before purchase?

Absolutely agree only trouble with that plan is because of the pathetic pandering to collectors short limited runs, by the time you see a model and decide to buy it all shops have sold out to pre orders. I found the shop[ on line that still had some and ordered, they have been great.

Our hobby is in a mess, mad prices on ebay tell me that many buy these models up just to make a huge profit later, far better the manufacturers make sufficient supplies so that duff ones can be exchanged and everyone gets a chance to buy one if they so wish.

One would hope that despite the model being 'sold out' Hornby would have a few spare in case of damaged or DOA models. It's no good refunding your money (if that is the case) when you really want a model.

Mine still has to get to Africa in one piece and if it is damaged I will have to repair it myself.

Please could someone who actually has their model take a look at the instructions and see whether they have made proper provision for a DCC decoder? I recently bought a secondhand M7 which had been damaged by an badly fitted decoder, I hope there is a bit more room in the H. Thank you.

Absolutely agree only trouble with that plan is because of the pathetic pandering to collectors short limited runs, by the time you see a model and decide to buy it all shops have sold out to pre orders. I found the shop[ on line that still had some and ordered, they have been great.

Our hobby is in a mess, mad prices on ebay tell me that many buy these models up just to make a huge profit later, far better the manufacturers make sufficient supplies so that duff ones can be exchanged and everyone gets a chance to buy one if they so wish.

It's not pandering to collectors, there simply doesn't exist the production processes needed to make models like this without batch production in China meaning that the whole production run is a 'punt' based on how many can reasonably be expected to sell. Before you start waxing lyrical about the old days, think about the quality of those models - were they superdetail? No, they were pretty crude.

I completely agree it's frustrating but if you were committing half a million quid to producing a loco, I bet you'd rather that you made sure of your investment by not ordering too many rather than getting lumped with leftover stock.

Our hobby is just that - a hobby. The internet gives me unlimited access to the greatest range of new and secondhand RTR I've ever had in my lifetime - but not everything will be at the price I want when I want it.  

Im sorry to hear about your loco, my one runs and looks perfect (touch wood) The one downside is that if you turn it upside down to fit detailing parts or to have a general gander the coal load falls out but this isn't much of an issue as I won't have it upside down too often, I suppose it will also help if I ever want to add real coal to it. This was my first ever pre-order and I am very happy with what I have received, the polished dome is coated plastic and definitely looks the part. If anyone would like any pictures put up just ask

• RMweb Premium

I personally have nothing against pre-grouping locos turned out in fully lined black as well.

Which does give one the option of modelling the 1950s. LNWR livery does seem to suit almost any engine but especially small passenger tank engines.

Quick question for anyone who's got their model already. I notice that all photos of the production models seem to be missing the handbrake actuating lever (?) highlighted in the below image with a red rectangle. Is this included as one of the separate parts to be fitted by the buyer? I imagine it might prevent the rear bogie moving enough for set-track curves otherwise. 

post-793-0-82728400-1509218230_thumb.png

Quick question for anyone who's got their model already. I notice that all photos of the production models seem to be missing the handbrake actuating lever (?) highlighted in the below image with a red rectangle. Is this included as one of the separate parts to be fitted by the buyer? I imagine it might prevent the rear bogie moving enough for set-track curves otherwise. 

attachicon.gifH class.png

Brake rods and two other bits in the same colour (I guess the part you are referring to) are in the super detailing pack. Pack also includes couplings and vac pipes too.

Jeremy

• RMweb Gold

It's not pandering to collectors, there simply doesn't exist the production processes needed to make models like this without batch production in China meaning that the whole production run is a 'punt' based on how many can reasonably be expected to sell. Before you start waxing lyrical about the old days, think about the quality of those models - were they superdetail? No, they were pretty crude.

I completely agree it's frustrating but if you were committing half a million quid to producing a loco, I bet you'd rather that you made sure of your investment by not ordering too many rather than getting lumped with leftover stock.

Our hobby is just that - a hobby. The internet gives me unlimited access to the greatest range of new and secondhand RTR I've ever had in my lifetime - but not everything will be at the price I want when I want it.  

I can't disagree with you on these points, but that doesn't excuse the poor quality control issues that the other poster has experienced.

Yes it is one of the user fit parts.

Img_4413.jpg

• Like 6

Agreed! Nonetheless that doesn´t mean Hornby couldn´t hold back a few examples for cases of faulty models. Because no matter how good the quality control is, there will always be some models with faults and some damaged during transport, that is a completely normal thing with mass production. Every manufacturer is aware of that and should therefore take precautions. It´s a not a good thing at all if even a preorder doesn´t guarantees you to get a flawless model!

I received mine from De-Rails yesterday, thank you to them, very helpful and spot on with the delivery prediction.
Nice model, runs well, and looks very nice too which is great, detailing parts are fun to fit especially the brake rigging, and then finding where and which way they fit, instructions are quite clear for those. I will probably re-number it and attempt to add some of the missing lining for 263, can just about get away with it.

37979696992_efb8e678e5_c.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWxPFmJyXNQ

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

I received mine from De-Rails yesterday, thank you to them, very helpful and spot on with the delivery prediction.

Nice model, runs well, and looks very nice too which is great, detailing parts are fun to fit especially the brake rigging, and then finding where and which way they fit, instructions are quite clear for those. I will probably re-number it and attempt to add some of the missing lining for 263, can just about get away with it.

37979696992_efb8e678e5_c.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWxPFmJyXNQ

Hold off for a little while if your after 263. Rumour is going around that possibly 263 could be a Collectors Club Model. There has been an image of the collectors club magazine with a silhouetted H Class on the cover, leading many to assume 263 will be announced.

Hold off for a little while if your after 263. Rumour is going around that possibly 263 could be a Collectors Club Model. There has been an image of the collectors club magazine with a silhouetted H Class on the cover, leading many to assume 263 will be announced.

Yes I covered this in the Video... However... I prefer not to spend £119.99 + collectors club fee to join say another £40 when I can do the work myself for free, I have been aware of the H Silhouette which is wrong for 263 due to the additional lamp irons on the smokebox, Hornby being misleading with the image. But Also have to ask yourself if it is why does it have the parts it shouldn't have... maybe its in a different livery as its been mentioned some of the additional lining, and boiler fittings may make it not doable.

Shall have to wait and see..