50t Warwell Wagon in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Premium

I have an Archer from Milicast, which unfortunately remains unbuilt, but I can confirm is well made and a good casting. Requires cleanup,assembly,paint and transfers.

Another option to consider is the Armourfast range (https://armourfast.com/). Although 1/72 they are straightforward to build if you want a simple model to build to populate a rake. The Sherman Firefly has a separate component to enable the gun barrel to be properly secured for transportation as per prototype. At around £7 you get 2 kits in each box. My only caveat is that I have not yet checked that they stay "in gauge" on a warwell, being slightly overscale.

Is anyone familiar with milicast models?  It seems that they have a few options.

http://www.milicast.com/shop/product.php?productid=978&cat=66&page=2

My MOD Warwells arrived yesterday from Hattons - very nice!

My first job was to remove the overlong standard couplings and fit modified Bachmann E-Z Mate couplings into a shortened NEM coupling box. They are now much closer together, giving about 3mm between buffer heads and allowing reliable movement through my track formations.

I am following this topic with interest with regard to prototypical loads, so much information in such a short time, what a wonderful bunch of enthusiasts on this forum - thanks to all of you for all the ideas, links etc etc!

• Like 2

Hi everyone,

I collected my pair of 2000's Warwells from the post Office Depot today which arrived in a well packed boxed as usual from Hattons.

The first thing you notice when you take them out the box is the weight. They feel a nice solid quality wagon. There is a lot of fine detail, rivets, the wood grain, securing points and a lot of fine printing detail as well. One had a loose buffer and wheel set not inserted correctly. Both easy to fix which actually made me realise just how many items are fitted, sprung buffers, the end jacks and even the thin decking plates. Even underneath with the wire pipe runs and tanks. I know this version should have wider plates and protection over the buffers but straight out of the box they are a superb model and hope are a success for Hattons.

I've only given them a quick run on Rannoch, not sure why the Glen Douglas working was this far north! They run very smoothly with no problems on my tight fiddle yard curves and are an interesting wagon to add into MOD workings. Hope you like the pictures and Dave feel free if you want to use them.

Thanks

Mark

They look good mark, I've got 2 FV432s crying out to be on these as well as two scimitars to build.

Just gotta convince my OCD brain that they are oK without the widening panels - which I guess would only look odd if I get warriors to put in them

My MOD Warwells arrived yesterday from Hattons - very nice!

My first job was to remove the overlong standard couplings and fit modified Bachmann E-Z Mate couplings into a shortened NEM coupling box. They are now much closer together, giving about 3mm between buffer heads and allowing reliable movement through my track formations.

I am following this topic with interest with regard to prototypical loads, so much information in such a short time, what a wonderful bunch of enthusiasts on this forum - thanks to all of you for all the ideas, links etc etc!

Mine have just arrived, pity the couplings are so long, not that that detracts from a superb model.

They look good mark, I've got 2 FV432s crying out to be on these as well as two scimitars to build.

Just gotta convince my OCD brain that they are oK without the widening panels - which I guess would only look odd if I get warriors to put in them

Do you know how many had this conversion, and when? It certainly doesn't appear to be all the very late ones have the yellow end as the pairing I've linked to before in Scunthorpe steelworks has shown.

Paul

Can someone say if any Warwell wagons ever made it into Cornwall?

Thanks,

Samuel.

Unless somone was sitting next to the Royal Albert Bridge - with a mate on the Cornish border on the North Cornwall line - 24 hours per day, 365 days per year, it's impossible to answer that one !!

If you fancy one or more WARWELLS, get them - no one can prove they didn't get into Cornwall.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Unless somone was sitting next to the Royal Albert Bridge - with a mate on the Cornish border on the North Cornwall line - 24 hours per day, 365 days per year, it's impossible to answer that one !!

If you fancy one or more WARWELLS, get them - no one can prove they didn't get into Cornwall.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Or just one person with a photo...

Roy

Can someone please supply a few shots of the supplied accessories fitted?

I get the hook, but the location of the vac pips there seems to be three options and I think they have supplied four tension hooks, so where do these go?

Thanks

• Like 1

Can someone please supply a few shots of the supplied accessories fitted?

I get the hook, but the location of the vac pips there seems to be three options and I think they have supplied four tension hooks, so where do these go?

Thanks

Two of the three 'vac-pipe' holes could be for the side-chains, which these wagons carried when new for use on mainland Europe. Some wagons retained these into the 1970s.

Have to say I am disappointed, the supplied details can't be fitted if you want the models to actually work! i.e. with the supplied tightlock couplers.

Also, these seem to have a huge reach.

Shame an otherwise great model, let down by the usual crap Chinese lack of QC (wrongly fitted brake rigging on two of the three)

Hi Pete,

it may well do just as you say but I believe the main reason for the cradle is to help the Warrior clear lineside infrastructure (particularly platform edges).

Hopefully now the warwells are released someone will resurrect either the BW Models or Cromwell Models Warrior in 1/76. I'm not convinced that a 1/72 Warrior is going to look sensible given how tight the clearances are in reality, although I have a Trumpeter one to build up and test.

Regards,

Stu

S and S Models do a resin warrior and other rail transportable bits.

http://sandsmodelsshop.com/product-category/post-war-modern-vehicles/20mm-172-post-war-british-vehicle

Ian_B

You want Warflats to carry the FV432s (Scorpions and such)

Ian_B

Well here is my short review and running session with my three Warwells, one will be heading back to Hattons due to QC issues, had it cost me a £10 then maybe I'd not have bothered but at £33 I feel it should be near perfect, don't know if you agree?

WW2 rail traffic has long been a fascination for me so when I saw that Warwell wagons were available I purchased . Have a look at this very short review and running session.

• Like 5