Frothing for 2017

Crepello

In terms of new tooling, the OO scale Thompson carriages could be shrunk.

Also Farish could announce a rebuilt Merchant Navy.

47s to be offered with cut-away cabs and long-range fuel tanks

2017 offers several possibilities for commemorative locos and train packs:

20th anniversary of the privatisation of BR - Railfreight Distribution 47 and VGAs

50th anniversary of the final regular Southern Region steam services - weathered, chalked-up Std 5 with mixed Bulleid and Mk 1 rake

60th anniversary of BR's first pilot scheme diesels - class 20 D8000 and class 31 D5500

Not sure how a sector-era loco represents privatisation. 30th anniversary of Railfreight sub-sectors on the other hand?

For privatisation I'd suggest an EWS 37, or a 159 in the early Stagecoach colours. Or the TGS and Buffet in "Merlin"colours  to complete the HST set they did when that livery is current...

• RMweb Premium

Not sure how a sector-era loco represents privatisation. 30th anniversary of Railfreight sub-sectors on the other hand?

For privatisation I'd suggest an EWS 37, or a 159 in the early Stagecoach colours. Or the TGS and Buffet in "Merlin"colours  to complete the HST set they did when that livery is current...

30th anniversary of the public launching of Railfreight's sub-sectors next year (I remember attending the launch event at Ripple Lane that year)

https://thewebtrain.wordpress.com/2013/11/08/british-railway-freight-sectorisation-and-branding/

During the privatisation era, Railfreight Distribution (RfD) continued as a sub-sector operator handling intermodal and Channel Tunnel freight; the intermodal business was spun off to Freightliner in 1995 but RfD continued operating Channel Tunnel services until 1997.

The sale of RfD to EWS finally took place on 22 November 1997 http://www.kentrail.org.uk/railfreight_distribution1.htm

It was the last train operating company/unit owned by BR.

NB as a comparison Scotrail was BR's last passenger franchise to be let from the first round of privatisation, on 31 March 1997 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passenger_rail_franchising_in_Great_Britain

Hence I'm speculating there could be commemorative Railfreight sub-sector liveried locos, and a special commemorative "end of BR" RfD version.

Just a small amount of froth here, well, more like a few bubbles really: a Mk1 RMB in InterCity colours to go with the Mk1s and 2Ds (whenever they materialise).

Couldn't agree more, can't understand when this was a very common vehicle running in InterCity rakes from the mid 80's to early 90's that it wasn't produced with the run of InterCity livery Mark 1's, giving us just the blue/grey buffet.

Not forgetting a much wanted Class 117 DMU of course ;)

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Just a small amount of froth here, well, more like a few bubbles really: a Mk1 RMB in InterCity colours to go with the Mk1s and 2Ds (whenever they materialise).

And while I think about it, BGs in ScotRail and NSE liveries shouldn't be too difficult to produce and would complement some of the recent and imminent releases. I quite like the idea of being able to run a colourful parcels train with some GUVs in blue and Post Office red along with BGs in blue/grey, Post Office red, InterCity, NSE and ScotRail colours.

And while I think about it, BGs in ScotRail and NSE liveries shouldn't be too difficult to produce and would complement some of the recent and imminent releases. I quite like the idea of being able to run a colourful parcels train with some GUVs in blue and Post Office red along with BGs in blue/grey, Post Office red, InterCity, NSE and ScotRail colours.

Don't know about the Scotrail one(s), but I don't think the NSE BG ever ran in parcels trains. Originally ran with an Thames NSE Mk1 set, later showed up in an inter-city Mk2 set with a mix of I/C and B/G coaches.  Saw it hauled by 50007 in June 1988, which made for a colourful train. Later repainted into Incer City colours.

• RMweb Gold

Don't know about the Scotrail one(s), but I don't think the NSE BG ever ran in parcels trains. Originally ran with an Thames NSE Mk1 set, later showed up in an inter-city Mk2 set with a mix of I/C and B/G coaches.  Saw it hauled by 50007 in June 1988, which made for a colourful train. Later repainted into Incer City colours.

You could well be right that the NSE BGs never appeared in a parcels train but you never know; stranger things have happened. In any case, I just thought it would make for a very colourful train if all those liveries were available. There is a thread about NSE BGs on which I posted several photos: 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94131-mark-1-bgs-in-nse-livery/

• RMweb Gold

Don't know about the Scotrail one(s), but I don't think the NSE BG ever ran in parcels trains.

Whilst trapped in a YouTube vortex the other day, I was very surprised to find a clip showing an NSE BG in a postal train. Where? Tebay, of course!! It's right at the end of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLr3cXd9qo4

Edited by Western Aviator

Probably some truth in that, there certainly seems to be a glut of some vehicles on the market; traders seem swimming in SR Green Mk1 FOs, for example.  RFOs are even worse, to be honest I can't see the logic behind making that coach at all in the absence of the kitchen cars they commonly ran with (i.e not RUs)

Yes there seems to be some stupid versions of coaches punted out. Sorry to digress but it illustrates my point. Hornby maroon coach with modern graffiti ???????. back to farish the pullmans are an example of making too many. They are not even close coupled! MK2B required (after MK2F of course).

As others have said, a Class 117 DMU is a much wanted unit in N gauge to complement the Class 101 & 108.

It's covered a fair few regions from Network southeast, the south west, The midlands, & even Scotland, so I think it would be very popular.

Cheers,

Mark

C'mon. Inter-city DMUs are missing BIG TIME! 

Oh well, never mind.  Useful article though. 

Ultimately for me it is a matter of what passes muster at normal viewing distances in N Gauge.  I am happy to be approximately right even if precisely wrong, and in the past did a number of carve ups and mods to kits and RTR to produce locos I wanted.  My Ayrshire 126 is fabricated from Minitrix Mk 1s modified in a similar way to an article in the N Gauge Journal some years ago.  Does anyone remember Bill Oldroyd in the late 60s to 70s who was a master at doing this in OO.   Some while ago I purchased a blue 3 car 108 with a view to adding the 4 character indicator to the cab to make it look like a  107.  I will carry on and do it.  It will be near enough.

We would have far more models of the trains we would like if some people put the magnifying glass and the reference books down. Excellent quote - "at normal viewing distances - approximately right even if precisely wrong". Getting the shape and colour scheme correct is no1 in my book.

"at normal viewing distances - .

I've never been particularly in favour or in agreement with that phrase. It rather implies that anything goes if it is far enough away not to see it properly (especially if one suffers with myopia) or is rushing past in a blur. Consequently it becomes an excuse for inaccuracies and lack of detail. 

In truth our models spend more time stationary than running, including on a layout when they may be stopped at a station or signal, parked up in a siding or depot, or waiting in a fiddle yard for a run. And, being small, increasing exquisite and finely detailed, we tend to hold our models in our hands close to our eyes or have them in a display case when not on the layout to inspect and appreciate.

G.

Edited by grahame

C'mon. Inter-city DMUs are missing BIG TIME! 

That's one of those charismatic models that may well sell (I'd buy one) even though there weren't very many of them, and are far less useful in practical terms that the far more mundane but numerous suburban or cross-country sets.

• RMweb Premium

I'm amazed none of this has been shrunk..!

2EPB

MLV

E4

C class

105 DMU

City of Truro

Amongst other things. You would have thought the C class would be a no brainer

As much as none of these have been shrunk, I would be amazed if we saw more than one go to N gauge this year. Given that, steam wise, there is not a tank loco for the SR in the Farish range, it would not surprise me if the E4 appeared, but I suspect the one of the "modern image" items will come before this.

Hi Les

I doubt it, Colin's production runs are very small and while it is great for him that he has sold out, we are talking only probably 2 - 300 models total.

I personally still predict another pretty thin year, my hope is for a range of Thompsons but not a lot else.

Regards

Roy

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I personally still predict another pretty thin year

My feeling also. There isn't really any sign that Bachmann have fully resolved their supply chain issues, further slippage of Castle delivery dates supporting this, and the extra resources promised last year will take time to have any meaningful impact. 

It is possible they might surprise us with something given the talk of only announcing new models when they are close to production, and there are only the J72, Class 319 & Mk.2s still in the new tool pending tray, but the shrunken backlog thus far is only a result of a drastic reduction in the number of new models announced over the past 3 years.

I really hope we see signs of a turning point, but my whelm is ready to be undered, again. 

Tom.