The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Contactless Bank Cards

EddieB

What's a 'smartphone' - I have a mobile 'phone which enables me to make and receive 'phone calls (when I turn it in - which is only when I need it).  I am able to conduct my daily financial affairs using such things as money - amazing stuff when you consider how the idea has stood the test of time unlike various generations of mobile communication devices which seem to pass to the scrap heap with remarkable speed.  Equally I use things called cheques - a brilliant idea and extremely handy.

I do however have credit and debit cards and make occasional use of either when circumstances so dictate and it is convenient to do so.  So I already have four different ways of conducting financial transactions, oh and of course there's also bank transfer so I've got five.  So why on earth would I want to spend a load of money simply to get a sixth way of doing the same, especially when they are so easily hacked; that's a joke!  :jester: 

You forgot another one. Bartering. Doesn't involve money at all.

Stewart

I used to draw out large sums of cash and spend that, then I started to use the debit card more and carry less cash, and now I have started to grudgingly use contactless more often despite reservations about pin numbers and the ease of crime, but I do hate having pockets of change so maybe it's a good thing, except maybe for something to chuck in charity buckets. I do wonder when we will just work for and spend 'credits' and have zero actual coinage to deal with. Makes you wonder how the black market, drug dealings and other low life transactions will survive? I don’t doubt they will find a way!

• RMweb Gold

I get a new one roughly every 18 months although I haven't written one for a month or two.  I also have a real paying-in book for paying such things (and cash of course) into my bank account.

I am suspicious of electromnic transfer (although that method credits my pensions regularly) because there are no longer such things as unique bank account numbers - nowadays they are only unique to the branch and if you get the sort code wrong that's it and the money goes elsewhere.

And the bank account numbers are not even unique to the branch. Closed accounts do get the numbers re-used.

My wife got a letter about an overdraft on an account that had been closed a couple of years previously. Fortunately she still had the paper closing statement to prove that it was the bank's mistake..

As a point of interest, you can - because we've done it - ask that you be issued with cards without the contactless facility.

Just to note that every UK bank that has issued s contactless card will replace it with a non-contactless card if the account owner requests it.

NatWest (when I eventually got to speak to a human) told me that they did not offer non-contacless any more. The guff with my new card did say that the contacless bit would be disabled if a wrong PIN was entered three times, it didn't say whether the whole card would be disabled at the same time though.

Do people in the U.K. still use cheque books as well??

Yes, cash as well :senile:

• RMweb Gold

I know a lot of people who prefer to use cash, even as much to buy a new car. Keeping just enough in the bank accounts to pay any DDs/ Standing Orders etc. Money (wages/pension) is drawn out weekly in order to keep savings low so they are not penalised by having too much of their own money.

Their only problem is when the notes are changed.

Alas (??) you can't use cash to pay for most cars although you might get a very old and decrepit banger for a couple of hundred quid.  There is a limit on what many folk, including banks, will take in cash owing to money laundering controls.

When I last bought a car the garage ted I pay by debit card and wouldn't even take a banker's draft (as they too are allegedly fiddle-able).

• RMweb Gold

Alas (??) you can't use cash to pay for most cars although you might get a very old and decrepit banger for a couple of hundred quid.  There is a limit on what many folk, including banks, will take in cash owing to money laundering controls.

When I last bought a car the garage ted I pay by debit card and wouldn't even take a banker's draft (as they too are allegedly fiddle-able).

The preference now seems to be for bank transfer.

The 'I don't need a smartphone' comments are quite amusing. No one needs a smartphone but once you have one it makes so many things easier.

Not wanting to shame him, so I won't say how I know him, but I know a guy who stubbornly refuses to do things like direct debit and ends up going into the town centre to pay his electric bills over the counter in his bank. He pays all his bills that way. It's a rare week when he doesn't go to the bank at all and some weeks he's in there four days out of five. True he's retired and has as much time to waste as he wants, although personally I'd prefer to be doing that doing something fun rather than sitting on the bus into town just so I can go to the bank to do something that can be done automatically. The same chap won't use a cash machine unless it's at a branch of his bank. I've seen him walk past five cash machines to get to the one he wants to use and then had to listen to him complain about how he didn't have time to visit the model shop because he had to walk so far to get cash out.

I've come to the conclusion that some people will prefer to continually inconvenience themselves than do something a different way than they have always done it.

The 'I don't need a smartphone' comments are quite amusing. No one needs a smartphone but once you have one it makes so many things easier.

Not wanting to shame him, so I won't say how I know him, but I know a guy who stubbornly refuses to do things like direct debit and ends up going into the town centre to pay his electric bills over the counter in his bank. He pays all his bills that way. It's a rare week when he doesn't go to the bank at all and some weeks he's in there four days out of five. True he's retired and has as much time to waste as he wants, although personally I'd prefer to be doing that doing something fun rather than sitting on the bus into town just so I can go to the bank to do something that can be done automatically. The same chap won't use a cash machine unless it's at a branch of his bank. I've seen him walk past five cash machines to get to the one he wants to use and then had to listen to him complain about how he didn't have time to visit the model shop because he had to walk so far to get cash out.

I've come to the conclusion that some people will prefer to continually inconvenience themselves than do something a different way than they have always done it.

I agree. I think we all know people that act like that in many situations

• RMweb Gold

On the other hand you could say that by using the bank branch he is helping to justify its continued existence so is performing a  service to other customers of that branch.  And of course he might well like a good reason to get out and meet people.

Probably because some industries are still preferred/required to do so. The legal profession & real estate agents are two that come to mind, presumably due to trust accounts etc. Its very simple to do a photocopy/scan of a cheque.

I'm self employed & I'm not sure of the current whereabouts of my business chequebook!

It's OK, I've got it! If you want it back let me know when because there's a few things I want to get first. Cheers. :) :)

• RMweb Premium

Some people like the 'security' of cheques. Not realising that the cheque actually has their bank account details on them. So you could pay them electronically, using the account details previously supplied.

Many banks of course, charge you for the privilege of using cheques.

And it's probably costing him as well, most 'utilities' and other 'regulars' offer a discount if paid by DD. Plus, choose the right bank and they'll give you cashback on some DD transactions as well.

• RMweb Gold

I'm a bit surprised to hear so much chatter about such old technology as contactless cards.

I've been using my smartphone for this purpose for a year now. Almost no reason for a wallet any longer or cash, which I've rarely used for many years now.

Do people in the U.K. still use cheque books as well??

ive just bought an apple watch and use that for contactless payments in places that take apple pay

the beauty of that over my contactless card is if i take the watch off my wrist it knows, locks and will ask for a pin to re-open the phone so if someone were to nab my watch its useless to them to get money

And it's probably costing him as well, most 'utilities' and other 'regulars' offer a discount if paid by DD. Plus, choose the right bank and they'll give you cashback on some DD transactions as well.

Chap at work has had his house for over a decade and it still has a pre-pay key electric meter (and electric heating) with the original supplier.

I shudder to think what that's cost him over the years.

• RMweb Premium

People who aren't taken in by every latest baubles and glittery things - so maybe 'sensible' might describe some of them.

Not particularly catchy is it? I'm not sure that debit cards are the "latest baubles"!

That said, for me Apple Pay solves a non existent problem, I find using a card easier. Contactless I like very much though.

Archived