Hornby Class 87 - Confirmed Newly Tooled Version for 2017 !

ThaneofFife

I'm sure there will end up being lots of options of liveries for electrostars over the years, but will many of them be likely to sell enough for a production run? 3 or 4 car units will be expensive and do all these liveries not dilute the buyers. The first generation EMUs might have less livery options, but would those that they did wear not have been for longer, over a wider geographical spread and with less modifications than current units?

The 310/312, assuming modern tooling technology was incorporated to allow the detail differences in the front end and brake van to be accomodated, have quite a range of livery alternatives.  In the Class 310, there are three versions of rail blue (yellow jumper cable recess, half yellow end and full yellow end), in blue/grey you could have plain and Network SouthEast branded, with flat windscreens NSE, Provincial, Regional Railways, Midline and NSE with LTS rail branding, and in the Class 312, blue, blue/grey, NSE, First Great Eastern and the WMPTE Yellow Canary, plus NSE with Regional Railways blue stripe and full Regional Railways.  That's a lot of potential liveries covering the country from Essex and Suffolk in the east to Liverpool, Manchester and Preston in the north, including the West Midlands, London and the North west, and covering the period 1966-7 to 2002-4.  I would have thought there would be some market for such a unit given three of the four principal classes of AC electric have or are about to have a contemporary model released and once the 86 breaks ranks, something like a 310 would, in various guises, be entirely appropriate for running alongside all the loco models.

Bachmann once went on the record as saying there would not be a market for a Blue Pullman yet produced two runs of the Nanking Blue and now are about to produce the Grey Pullman at prices which don't seem to have put off buyers.  Arguably it is even more niche and although a glamour train  it's a lot of money for an "ooh that's nice" train that is too long for the mantlepiece.  I've resisted the temptation simply because it does not fit my modelling scenarios (although if they ever do one with the jumper cables and yellow end in Nanking Blue I might be tempted as one in that condition did do a footy special to Wolverhampton...)yet people have spent money on it, enough to justify the model being re-released and modified.  Bachmann clearly took a gamble and it paid off, as did their gamble with the Southern milk-floats.  I think they would be well placed to do a 310-312 once they have shifted their backlog, and I suspect they would sell better than people imagine.  Not stellar, but better than the naysayers think.  After all everyone was convinced that the 85 would be a sales lemon yet has been re released in TOPS blue in this catalogue and Bachmann have invested serious cash in a new Class 90 which they wouldn't have done had the 85 tanked.

I was shown a class 87 in the glass cabinet at Branchlines this morning and was told it's the new Hornby one. :scratchhead:

Was it one of the pre-production samples or was it a production one?

It'll be good news if it were indeed a production one.

Edited by MGR Hooper!

I must admit when I read the earlier post saying they had seen the 87 in a glass cabinet my excitement nudged up slightly. I really cannot wait to get my hands on this model, just wish updates on it's whereabouts & progress were more obtainable. 

I must admit when I read the earlier post saying they had seen the 87 in a glass cabinet my excitement nudged up slightly. I really cannot wait to get my hands on this model, just wish updates on it's whereabouts & progress were more obtainable. 

Indeed, I am patiently waiting for sandwich station to reply about the Class 87 he saw. If it was a pre-production sample then we may not know. However if it's a production sample then it will mean that the others are in transit.

Do Hornby usually send out pre-production samples to hobby shops?

Logic should dictate that pre-production samples would only be sent to hobby shops for their own special commissions for checking and approval purposes otherwise how many pre-production samples would Hornby have to drum up to send to every hobby shop in the UK.  

LOLs.

I think people have missed that the person who saw the model is in Australia & Branchline is an Australian model shop and they seem to get the new releases before us now (They got the latest Hornby Peckett before us) So they probably haven't arrived in the UK yet, or if they have they will probably still sat in a container

I think people have missed that the person who saw the model is in Australia & Branchline is an Australian model shop and they seem to get the new releases before us now (They got the latest Hornby Peckett before us) So they probably haven't arrived in the UK yet, or if they have they will probably still sat in a container

Yes aware of that now. I remembered another loco arriving early (GWR King maybe??) in Oz.

In that case, they are indeed going to arrive soon.

PS: I actually thought Branchlines was a British shop

The waiting is nearly over!

E-mail just received from Hornby to say that R3582, "King Arthur" in IC Swallow livery, is due into Hornby next week. Obviously it may take a few days before they start to appear in the model shops.

Great news.  Any idea if it has a plastic pantograph or a decent metal one so it can be a real Class 87?

Peter

Great news. Any idea if it has a plastic pantograph or a decent metal one so it can be a real Class 87?

Peter

Plastic...

Plastic insulators

Plastic arms

Plastic shoe/head

Metal base

https://www.Hornby.com/media/wysiwyg/IMAGE_4_Our_first_running_prototypes_are_often_painstakingly_built_here_at_Hornby_HQ_-_web.jpg

Still a good replica nonetheless and the most sensible way to replicate a BW panto regardless of it being non-functional.

That looks stunning!! admittedly I was never going to purchase 035 as it's a little to early in the timescale I model but the pictures alone are tempting me. Glad to see they are providing etched nameplates with them too. I'm really looking forward to getting 87010 now. Many thanks for the pictures.

Hi guys.

I saw earlier today that some of you wanted more info on the 87. I went back today to see if I could take a few pics but ended up buying it instead. So here's a few pics to keep you going until they arrive in the UK.

attachicon.gif0.JPGattachicon.gif1.jpgattachicon.gif2.jpgattachicon.gif3.JPGattachicon.gif4.jpgattachicon.gif5.jpgattachicon.gif6.jpgattachicon.gif7.jpg

Thanks for sharing those pictures. It surely is a stunning model.

Roll on the Class 86 Hornby!!  :jester:

Edited by MGR Hooper!