Hornby Class 87 - Confirmed Newly Tooled Version for 2017 !

ThaneofFife

Must be pretty messy pouring diesel into your models.... live steam I can understand, but where does the coal go?

Seriously though, I just don’t get this power collection from overhead wires arguement.... in the olden day’s, the Hornby overhead cantenary allowed, with a suitably equiped electric loco for power collection via the overhead wire, allowing for two loco’s (the other picking up via the rails) to be on the same bit of track with out the need for isolating sections....

move things on nearly 35 odd years and we have dcc which,to me renders power collection from overhead wires obsolete and a completely unnecessary expense....

Andy,

I would like to clarify my wording in Comment 1209.  Where I stated, '...... but it does not have a useable pantograph', I did not mean the model to collect power from the OLE.  I have never even considered that option!  My OLE is only for show with the actual pantograph touching the OLE for appearances & movement when it approaches tunnels.  The masts & OLE wires are all portable.

Peter

Edited by Crewlisle

• RMweb Premium

The Class 87 shown in the Hornby magazine review states it is an 8 pin but are any Hornby DCC ready locos 21 pin?  Thought they favoured 8 pin.

Not DCC ready per se, but pretty certain that all those DCC fitted with factory sound pre-TTS were 21 pin.

(As well as having other oddities such as different cab interiors for the Class 60 as the 8 pin locos were negative common on the LEDs and positive common for the sound locos.)

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

The latest edition of Hornby’s Engine Shed blog has an informative update about the Class 87s. Both the BR Blue and Intercity versions are hitting the shelves imminently. But they’ve had problems with one of the suppliers, so sounds like the Virgin version maybe further delayed next year.

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/news/the-engine-shed/lots-of-running-samples-and-new-releases

Think fans of the 87 should be thankful we have a brand new long awaited model at all regardless of whether the pan is metal or conducts juice.

Imagine the floods of tears if Hornby were to have said well we had a new 87 in the making but we canned the idea as we felt the RRP needed to include a functioning pantograph would not be profitable enough for us.

Without knowing it, this could be why we have been waiting for one for so many years...and a few months.

Weve had one very good review in Hornby magazine (but then it is Hornby making the model so can it be described as truly objective ?). 

The first locos are set to hit shops any minute now.  Will we only see other magazine reviews at that time ie; do those magazines have to get in line with the rest of us to get their hands on their own model?  I would have thought they would receive samples ahead of general public release.

The review in Hornbys magazine was the blue one when the first one to reach the shops is going to be the InterCity one so I would have expected a review by now of this version even if it was by Hornby themselves highlighting the different livery and pantograph.

I was at the Hornby stand at NRC/Warley when the covers went back to showcase announce the Class 87. Was so excited. :yahoo:

I wonder now if it will arrive within 2 years (before Warley comes around again).

Mine is already planned for reassignment as 87014 'Knight of the Thistle' - in BR Blue, when it finally pulls into my station.

More important to be right late than wrong on time though. :yes:

Now then, someone was mentioning elsewhere on here about station announcements. I well remember the lines of 'British Rail regrets to announce.........'

Maybe us modellers ought to get announcements for our stations 'manufacturer regrets to announce the late delivery to market of...................'  :no:   :sarcastichand:

I'm beginning to wonder if they are being held back so they can be fanfared at Warley.  Seems odd they have been delivered to Oz but have now been pencilled in for delivery to the UK market on a date suspiciously close to Warley despite Hornby suggesting they were due this week before they changed the details.

Just check Hornby website both 87s been put back to November. Engine shed last Friday said they had them. They are already out in Australia. Surely does not take that long to get to the uk. Wonder what's going on with this.

Pity! After all that talk in the most recent TES blog about not having the models to photograph because they were going off to that fair. And also the talk of them being made available by now.

"held back"

i agree with Mark - held back at Hornby HQ in Kent is my guess (for a big ribbon cutting at Warley) as the first batch was reported to be arriving last week implying they had long since left the dock in China - what happened to the ship if this latest report is true?

when Hornby puts out these engine shed reports maybe the November announcement wasn't intended for the UK - another countries batch possibly?

maybe the problem with a part that was reported a few weeks back still hasn't been properly resolved and the models are in Kent awaiting this missing part to arrive (or to be manufactured first)?  then fitted at HQ and reboxed……. 

The thing is why has Australia got the 87 (and more to the point, the BR Blue version, which for us in the UK has been pushed back?)   So its not a factory slot issue if they have been capable of running off blue versions unless they only had limited run time to get x number of blues versions made.   

delivery seems a bit higgledy-piggledy.

canny work out any logic to it.

To me it seems like there may be a QC issue. It was clear from the last Engine Shed that they were well on their way. They also alluded to difficulties they had with the factory producing the 87. As they had other QC issues earlier this year, which were only picked up when models hit the retailers - class 800 with bogie turning issues, B of B with the wrong tender, Castle with a bodyside pipe the shape of a roller coaster. So they may have introduced more QA checks on arriving product. Only speculation, but that ties in with a model, nearly at the UK, put back not one month but three months.

• RMweb Premium

It's possible the container got lost, happens reasonably often in stormy seas, struggling to think of too many legitimate reasons they'd release them in other countries. They're hardly in a position to wait for the cash!

I want to see the Swallow one, it was looking superb!