Hornby Class 87 - Confirmed Newly Tooled Version for 2017 !

ThaneofFife

I think people have missed that the person who saw the model is in Australia & Branchline is an Australian model shop and they seem to get the new releases before us now (They got the latest Hornby Peckett before us) So they probably haven't arrived in the UK yet, or if they have they will probably still sat in a container

It was explained to me a couple of years ago how it works. Hornby have a container sitting in China being loaded with products destined for Australia, once that container is full, it's sealed up and sent on it's way. Could be sitting there a month or two, or maybe even 3. What's probably happened is that the 87's were one of the last items to go in the container and as we are closer to China than the UK is, they've arrived here first.

hard to tell if those photos are taken in poor lighting but the buffers now look all over black.

from the spares bag is that an extra set of multiple working jumper cables I see or are they for fitting on the buffer beam?

be interesting to compare side to side with an old Lima version .

Edited by ThaneofFife

Hi guys.

I saw earlier today that some of you wanted more info on the 87. I went back today to see if I could take a few pics but ended up buying it instead. So here's a few pics to keep you going until they arrive in the UK.

attachicon.gif4.jpgattachicon.gif

WOW!

So my main comment (aside from WOW...have I already said that) is that the 'forehead' has been dramatically improved even since the livery samples. The transition curve has been softened a little. This makes a huge difference to the look of the model and Hornby are to be hugely commended for making this adjustment. Shows they are listening (to someone, somewhere) and able to get the factory to make changes even at a late stage.

Now if they fancy producing 001 'as preserved' or 002 (either as first preserved or in PORTERBROOK purple) I'll have one... (even if they will be very much non-running)

Not quite sure I can justify any of this first batch...

Edited by G-BOAF

• RMweb Gold

hard to tell if those photos are taken in poor lighting but the buffers now look all over black.

from the spares bag is that an extra set of multiple working jumper cables I see or are they for fitting on the buffer beam?

be interesting to compare side to side with an old Lima version .

There not mw cables in the bag they are ETH cables.

Edit didnt see petes post

Edited by pheaton
  • Like 1

Had a bit of a play with it today. Runs very well and smooth. Underneath (see last pic), you will see there is a switch with D and N (day and night).

In day mode, in direction of travel, you get the 2 outside white lights on at the front and 2 red lights at the rear.

In night mode, you get 3 white lights on the front and cab lights in direction of travel with 2 reds to the rear.

This is in DC of course. :)

ThaneofFife, you asked a few questions, I hope these pics answer them for you (buffers are blackened metal sprung).

And I do know that 87004 is Britannia not William Shakespeare (I bought it second hand like that) and I think the body is on the wrong way round too. :)

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Edited by sandwich station
  • Like 9

good pics and yes ive always thought the Lima body was very good right from day 1.   id love to see some photos with the lighting options on...….

I hope that on DCC those cab lights can be controlled regardless of day or night mode.  some of that underframe detail looks very good too - no need for every single pipe cable or other hidden bits and bobs to be honest.

you really notice how undersized the lima bogies are compared to the correct length on the new model.   as a kid i never recognised how much underscale they were.

cannot wait to get mine.

when you pick the model up does it have a really nice solid weightiness to it?

pity they had to carve into the cab interior space to allow room for the mechs but maybe that's not so much an issue.  glad they painted the cab interior in grey.   I remember on the old Lima models you could sometimes end up with a bright yellow interior to the cabs ! 

Edited by ThaneofFife

The model looks fantastic, my personal disappointment comes with the lights however. I am really hoping Hornby have put included an option on 87010 to turn off the lights completely at one end. Reason being, I intend to have her on a rake of matching Oxford Rail Mk3's with a Hornby IC DVT on the other end. So to have an option where the end of the loco that's facing the coaches isn't illuminated would be a massive help. All hope is not lost I suppose as with some hard wiring & tinkering I imagine such a thing could be achieved. Many thanks for the photos. 

At a BRMA meeting today in Melbourne, I had the opportunity to handle and examine a friend's BR blue 87, 87 035 Robert Burns. Unfortunately we weren't able to actually run it today, but it looks very nice, has a good weight to it and lots of fine detail, especially on the bogies. There is an interior view through the side windows, and the cross-arm pantograph is also very finely executed, while showing some robustness. The front 'face' of the loco looks much better than the old Lima model, to me (I'm no expert on the AC electrics, though), and looks 'right'.

The same friend has also bought the Intercity liveried version with the high speed pantograph, but he reported that that version's pantograph appears to be less robust - his popped out at the 'elbow' joint.

.....also bought the Intercity liveried version with the high speed pantograph, but he reported that that version's pantograph appears to be less robust - his popped out at the 'elbow' joint.

Well that is pretty much expected considering the fact that the design of the prototype itself results in the overall build less robust than that of a scissors/diamond pantograph. We just need to be careful and handle it with care.

Had a bit of a play with it today. Runs very well and smooth. Underneath (see last pic), you will see there is a switch with D and N (day and night).

I'm not sure that it means Day and Night, considering the answer as to how the lights work further up the thread. Maybe it is "Dim" and "Not dim", or "Depot"....?

It's a shame that the lighting on RTR models is still a complete work of fiction until chipped, as it is otherwise a very good model.

i would be looking to maybe obtain the high speed pan from the Bachmann spares dept from their Class 90 if they decide to offer it.  yet to be tested or handed but it looks more robust that than the weedy Hornby item.  time will tell.  Maybe the Hornby pan can be modified or somehow beefed up. plus we don't know how either pan head runs under wires.   the cross arm head was tilting in the direction of travel.

RoS emailed today to say the first of the 87s is due in to Hornby week commencing 20/08 so not long now.

I have my fingers crossed that this model will be a great seller.  

Edited by ThaneofFife
  • Like 1

On 18/08/2018 at 22:49, vanbasher said:

The model looks fantastic, my personal disappointment comes with the lights however. I am really hoping Hornby have put included an option on 87010 to turn off the lights completely at one end. Reason being, I intend to have her on a rake of matching Oxford Rail Mk3's with a Hornby IC DVT on the other end. So to have an option where the end of the loco that's facing the coaches isn't illuminated would be a massive help. All hope is not lost I suppose as with some hard wiring & tinkering I imagine such a thing could be achieved. Many thanks for the photos. 

Do not loco's show red lights at the rear, even if pulling a train? (A serious question, as I don't know)

On 19/08/2018 at 00:57, 298 said:

I'm not sure that it means Day and Night, considering the answer as to how the lights work further up the thread. Maybe it is "Dim" and "Not dim", or "Depot"....?

It's a shame that the lighting on RTR models is still a complete work of fiction until chipped, as it is otherwise a very good model.

13.jpg.6464f098ab296c60ea8bd3ceb39756f6.jpg

On 19/08/2018 at 02:58, piranha230 said:

Does it mention in the spare parts leaflet if the pantograph will be available as a spare part?.

No.

Edited by sandwich station

• RMweb Premium

Do not loco's show red lights at the rear, even if pulling a train? (A serious question, as I don't know)

Convention is that red lights are only displayed at the rear of the train. So if a loco is pulling a train, then no red on the loco. (It does happen very infrequently if someone has forgotten to turn them off)

With 21 pin and multi function decoders, reds should easily be able to be switched. 

(IMO - more use than having cab lighting)

It would be handy to have switched reds as this will come in useful when operating a push-pull set with a DVT leading.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

How did it look though? Paint finish, colours and so on?

The blue one had a good finish - the blue looked correct and the yellow faces had good density. I couldn't see any blemishes in any of the paintwork. The roof well hada matt cream or off-white finish, which we all commented would very soon have weathered down to an overall gunge colour.

I did forget to mention that the nameplates are printed on and actually looked quite convincing to me, but there were also etched plates in the detail pack.

My friend did not have the Intercity version with him, so I cannot comment on that one apart from passing on what he said about the pantograph.

• Like 2