Hornby Class 87 - Confirmed Newly Tooled Version for 2017 !

ThaneofFife

It ran quite smoothly & pulled a DVT plus 7 anaemic Mk3s coaches along with ease (They'll be Oxford ones then). I will be adding another 2 when I've unboxed them, but I don't expect it to have a problem. I won't be testing it with any more because that will be a full WCML rake, which is all it will ever pull/push.

What's the colour match like with those Oxford coaches?  In the video above, the loco colour seems quite a bit different to what seem like Hornby/lima coaches

What's the colour match like with those Oxford coaches?  In the video above, the loco colour seems quite a bit different to what seem like Hornby/lima coaches

The lower bodyside colour on the Intercity Swallow livery is white, so it shouldn't match the Executive livery coaches.

• RMweb Premium

If they can be convinced that profit can be made, then it would make sense to sell them separately.

Not so. If its too much hassle then no amount of 'profit' will make a difference.

It doesn't take much searching on this forum to find numerous people saying they would love to be able to order part XX for their latest project

Please remember that batch production methods employed in Chinese factories do not lend themselves to producing spare parts. Sure a few bits and bobs are made (usually common several different models) and each batch of models may have a small quantity of extra parts tagged onto it for warranty purposes. Hornby (and to a lesser extent Bachmann etc) have made it crystal clear they see themselves as manufacturers of finished items, not the producers of kits, parts or after market detailing products).

• RMweb Gold

... have made it crystal clear they see themselves as manufacturers of finished items, not the producers of kits, parts or after market detailing products).

Some day that may change, if rtr gets too expensive, hobbyists shrink and 3D printing (with detailed colour) takes off, providing the missing bits may become a new industry direction.

But not today.

Yep, not good so far! There is provision for a speaker, but only a 23mm round, and if you put it in facing down towards the provided holes, the PCB will not fit back on! It will fit facing up but the sound then just hits the PCB, and with no 'box' it sounds crap anyway! I used a Zimo 645 and now the body will not fit back on. Poor effort Hornby. Plan B to follow. Kev.

You weren't wrong, after fetching the body off mine (commendably simple) it all looks a bit tight in there, not helped by the destructions saying refer to a Figure 9 for sound installation, only for there to be no figure 9.

I'm sure I'll work something out.

Not so. If its too much hassle then no amount of 'profit' will make a difference.

It doesn't take much searching on this forum to find numerous people saying they would love to be able to order part XX for their latest project

Please remember that batch production methods employed in Chinese factories do not lend themselves to producing spare parts. Sure a few bits and bobs are made (usually common several different models) and each batch of models may have a small quantity of extra parts tagged onto it for warranty purposes. Hornby (and to a lesser extent Bachmann etc) have made it crystal clear they see themselves as manufacturers of finished items, not the producers of kits, parts or after market detailing products).

Don't ask don't get.

Just found this review of 87 010 on YouTube

Is it me, or does the central high intensity headlight not look like it works. Also on Hornby Magazine's review of 87035, the centre light is off.

Is there a switch for this? Or have Hornby done a 'Bachmann Class 20' and left the brightest light (the high intensity light) as a dummy?

not helped by the destructions saying refer to a Figure 9 for sound installation, only for there to be no figure 9.

That's what I thought at first. Fig 9 refers to the actual image, not the step & it is actually labelled 'fig 9'.

I found it a little confusing, especially as the image it is referring to is not particularly helpful.

Is it me, or does the central high intensity headlight not look like it works. Also on Hornby Magazine's review of 87035, the centre light is off.

Is there a switch for this? Or have Hornby done a 'Bachmann Class 20' and left the brightest light (the high intensity light) as a dummy?

Page 48, post 1178 will give you the answer. :)

he is only using it on the Daytime setting so you only get the marker lights. he might not even be aware there is a night setting yet.

set to Night-time adds both cab interior lights and the central headlight (not ideal to have the cab lights on the same function - something I would like to fix)

That's what I thought at first. Fig 9 refers to the actual image, not the step & it is actually labelled 'fig 9'.

I found it a little confusing, especially as the image it is referring to is not particularly helpful.

I did find it eventually, but like you say, not the most informative graphic.  I get the impression you post the speaker down into the slot which seems most peculiar.

• RMweb Gold

My two 87s are run-in and working lovely and smooth - really pleased with them. I hope they’re good sellers for Hornby and they’ll announce different liveries going forward.

One minor issue on mine I’ve noticed is that a few of the electrical pickup strips to the wheels aren’t touching. I’ve managed to bend the strips so they now touch ok. Have any others had this?

I might send mine to somebody well versed in rewiring these 8 pin locos. I will contact Lees Locos about this and he is pretty good at dcc lights etc..

id want the side markers front and rear independent on 2 functions, the centre light on a 3rd function and if possible 4th and 5th functions for both cab interior lights (or just blank over the contacts for one cab light and live with just having them at one end on function 4.  just don't know if that this is doable.  This is for a non dcc sound model BTW.

Got my two locos today :sungum:

Unfortunately one of the plastic multiple working caps is missing on 87035. It may have fallen off whilst opening (but i've had no luck finding it). On 87010 the rail below the cab windows was out in the centre of one end but it was easily fixed.

post-8724-0-62431700-1536010559.jpg

Missing cover

post-8724-0-55147800-1536010531.jpg

post-8724-0-11625500-1536010581.jpg

post-8724-0-95307100-1536010606.jpg

post-8724-0-11309200-1536010624.jpg

Can anyone confirm that the BW panto has 2 insulators and the Cross arm only one as shown above?

post-8724-0-08664800-1536010648.jpg

Finally a poor photo to try and show speaker space. As previously mentioned 23mm diameter space with very shallow depth. It may be possibly to fit a rectangular speaker in above the driveshaft, i roughly measured 33mm*16mm*5mm but i'm not sure if it would interfere with the turning of the driveshaft.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Fitted aHattons 8-pin Direct Decoder in mine, seems to run smoothly. Not had time to check how the light settings work

In the meantime, took a pic of King Arthur with a rake of Oxford coaches out and about:

post-586-0-37795700-1536014836.jpg

Thought I'd downloaded another pic showing more of the coaches from my camera but does seem to have made it...…must go and see where it went to

Keith

Edited by tetsudofan
  • Like 4

ive trawled my books and magazines and can i only say that on the early blue 87s only one photo with roof detail shows a single insulator behind the pan which to me suggests that there isnt a 2nd insulator that had maybe bust off the model.  

I just cant see any close up shots of the roof area on later 87s with a BW pan to confirm whether they had a 2nd or not but I doubt Hornby would have spent the extra time having a worker in the factory fit a 2nd insulator unless it was prototypical.   I wonder if this purely came about from the date the cross arm pans were replaced or whether there was a period where some crossarm locos got the BW pan fitted but retained the single insulator (or vide versa old pan retained but 2nd insulator fitted).    Youd think it was part and parcel of the upgrade (thus giving a clear cut off in time) but who knows.

Edited by ThaneofFife

That's a strange statement.

Anything is hassle. If the price is right, it makes it worthwhile.

Initial profit does have to take into account setup costs. In the case of Bachmann spares like this, they may not have the process in place to distribute them. If you are arguing that putting this in place & adding it to the sale price of pans would push up the price so far that sales would not recoup the costs, then that may well be the case.

But you didn't say that.