Hornby Class 87 - Confirmed Newly Tooled Version for 2017 !

ThaneofFife

• RMweb Gold

Hornby website now showing as ‘New Tooling’, the ‘Pre-Order’ label has been removed, but it’s now showing as ‘Out of Stock’!

Pressing the F5 refresh button to monitor the next update! Hopefully that means the pre-orders are being sent out to each retail shop this week?

Weve had one very good review in Hornby magazine (but then it is Hornby making the model so can it be described as truly objective ?).

I think that Hornby magazine and Hornby Hobbies are unconnected, except for sharing the name. Reviews of Hornby products seem to be as objective as reviews of other makers products.

I think that Hornby magazine and Hornby Hobbies are unconnected, except for sharing the name. Reviews of Hornby products seem to be as objective as reviews of other makers products.

Yes, they only used the name and there's nothing else in common between the two. This has been discussed so many times before. But not many know that.

Hornby website now showing as ‘New Tooling’, the ‘Pre-Order’ label has been removed, but it’s now showing as ‘Out of Stock’!

Pressing the F5 refresh button to monitor the next update! Hopefully that means the pre-orders are being sent out to each retail shop this week?

Probably another website error or it probably means that they have sold-out from their own warehouse and these are actually now being sent out to stockists.

It could be that the different status messages weren't errors and they are connected. It could be that Hornby have found a QC issue and put back the release to do a full arrived stock check,or did not receive the expected order level, that now they can release the stock but have insufficient for further direct orders. This will only be confirmed if retailers get an allocation with a further top up to follow. Then again it could be an IT mess up, but to me, if the new non availability at Hornby is correct, when there was no such sellout before, indicates they have diverted unsold direct sale stock to external retail, due to an unexpected shortfall.

Edited by rembrow

i'm half expecting the next blog to have some big announcement to say "we are please to advise that our new Class 87 has now reached the CAD design stage" followed a week later by nothing with an email from a retailer telling me your class 87 has arrived ..............

They do look ever so good!

I was waiting to see the production version of the Swallow one and I can see that the TDM cables don't look great; too thick and they clearly don't go into the orange 'pockets' at the front. Their TDM cables on the class 67 are much more convincing.

However, it's a small detail - what an excellent model, and thanks to Hornby for taking the risk; I hope it proves to be a good seller! Once the VT one is released, I'll be purchasing a few!

They do look ever so good!

I was waiting to see the production version of the Swallow one and I can see that the TDM cables don't look great; too thick and they clearly don't go into the orange 'pockets' at the front. Their TDM cables on the class 67 are much more convincing.

However, it's a small detail - what an excellent model, and thanks to Hornby for taking the risk; I hope it proves to be a good seller! Once the VT one is released, I'll be purchasing a few!

Yes the TDM cables are something that pretty much most of the RTR manufacturers have never gotten right, a small detail, and a few other things spring to mind with the new 87 model, now do I cave in a buy one?!

NL

It could be that the different status messages weren't errors and they are connected. It could be that Hornby have found a QC issue and put back the release to do a full arrived stock check,or did not receive the expected order level, that now they can release the stock but have insufficient for further direct orders. This will only be confirmed if retailers get an allocation with a further top up to follow. Then again it could be an IT mess up, but to me, if the new non availability at Hornby is correct, when there was no such sellout before, indicates they have diverted unsold direct sale stock to external retail, due to an unexpected shortfall.

Think its pretty simple - they have X produced, and when total sales are equal to X (traders + Hornby Websales), then the model is sold out.  Its not just Hornby - look at Bachmann 70805, 66779 etc.

Fact is as models become more expensive, then often fewer are made, which often means "New" products in particular, sell out.  Hornby's Sir William Stanier, being a classic example.  Hopefully, it will give Hornby the encouragement to do some more in those, liveries, plus a few one-offs.  87002 in Porterbrook, NSE 2012.....  Is 87101 do-able?

Regards,

C. 

Think its pretty simple - they have X produced, and when total sales are equal to X (traders + Hornby Websales), then the model is sold out.  Its not just Hornby - look at Bachmann 70805, 66779 etc.

Fact is as models become more expensive, then often fewer are made, which often means "New" products in particular, sell out.  Hornby's Sir William Stanier, being a classic example.  Hopefully, it will give Hornby the encouragement to do some more in those, liveries, plus a few one-offs.  87002 in Porterbrook, NSE 2012.....  Is 87101 do-able?

Regards,

C. 

i have learned from other members here that 101 has different roof detail so unless Hornby have accounted for that in their tooling you might not see one.

But then again a lot of this hobby is about imagination and if the tooling only catered for the Class 87/0  its still no barrier to them running some off in 101 colours (depends how true they want to be to the original or whether the thought of extra sales is enough to sway them to turn a blind eye).

Personal liveries I would like to see coming up are Executive livery (original jumper cables and half grey cab fronts a bit like the old Lima model of 87005 and 87009 but with high speed pans) and the one off 87006 City of Glasgow in experimental large logo.

• RMweb Premium

Just received an email from Rails of Sheffield that they are due in their shop tomorrow.

Cheers

Darius

And I quote.

Hornby CLASS 87 LOCOMOTIVES

TWO DUE IN STOCK TOMORROW

I hope they get more than two...……

Hat, coat etc.

Personal liveries I would like to see coming up are Executive livery (original jumper cables and half grey cab fronts a bit like the old Lima model of 87005 and 87009 but with high speed pans) and the one off 87006 City of Glasgow in experimental large logo.

Hornby have historically not been very active at producing different liveries or alternative running numbers. Lima used to produce loads of variations & now Bachmann do the same, prompting some to by multiples of the same class.

I also read somewhere that 87101 had a different roof, but if Hornby produced it with the standard roof, I am sure one of the detailing manufacturers would produce a conversion kit...or someone would design a 3D print for the parts. The roof was grubby anyway so just some weathering would hide all the changes.

I might get a dcc chip (non sound) for mine but have no idea whats best.  I know its a 8 pin socket but want access to all the lighting functions on dcc...…

any suggestions from people who know Hornby motors and what decoders they respond well to ?  and the ones to avoid !

going to see if I can collect "Burnsy" tomorrow.

I also read somewhere that 87101 had a different roof, but if Hornby produced it with the standard roof, I am sure one of the detailing manufacturers would produce a conversion kit...or someone would design a 3D print for the parts. The roof was grubby anyway so just some weathering would hide all the changes.

Sacrilege. I'd like to agree with you, but 90% of purchasers want something accurate straight out of the box.

It wouldn't sell as it would be regarded as a dud, likewise un-numbered ones that would make such a conversion easier would sit on retailers shelves.

• Like 1

I might get a dcc chip (non sound) for mine but have no idea whats best.  I know its a 8 pin socket but want access to all the lighting functions on dcc...…

any suggestions from people who know Hornby motors and what decoders they respond well to ?  and the ones to avoid !

going to see if I can collect "Burnsy" tomorrow.

You can ask 6 different people & get a different answer from each.

I like the Zimo M600R. A lot more functionality than the entry-level Hornby or Bachmann decoders but for not much more cost. They provide good motor control out of the box & have a lot of scope for fine tuning this if you are not happy with it.

Decoders typically control 4 functions.

I'd suspect 90% of purchasers would be unable to identify the differences in roof layout on 87101 compared to the standard class 87s so don't see any reason why it wouldn't sell. I'd certainly have one.

I'd also suspect the remaining 10% would be those skilled enough to correct it, but they'd also start from any 87 and not a specific 87101 model

Edited by GordonC

i class myself as reasonably knowledgeable on the 87s (history and career mainly) but admit I wouldnt know the differences to look for on 87101. I am certain I have a book on electrification to Glasgow including a fair section about the 87s by O S Nock with some text on the thyristor 87.   

I

I dare say the parts required to convert over to 87101 will become available by one of the small cottage industry detailing suppliers.

101 never really stood out as that special so it never really appealed to me so its not a problem I will have to overcome !

Does anybody know if these will come with etched plates in the box like the Bachmann diesels?