Hornby Class 87 - Confirmed Newly Tooled Version for 2017 !

ThaneofFife

just to pick up on that as I thought it was IC Swallow livery (many others also felt it didn't seem to make sense in that livery as their last Limby model was outshopped in the swallow version) but having read the article in the new January Hornby magazine today it clearly stated Inter-City Executive livery. Without delving into the archives I'm really not certain if the locos ran that scheme after the MU jumper equipment was removed.  Did 87010 run the livery with the later TDM cables?

If you look at the current listing for 2017 (first half) you'll see that the two product codes given to the Class 87's are R3580 and R3582. R3581 is missing and given that usually Hornby assign product codes for each type collectively there's probably another Class 87 to be announced either in Jan or for the second half?

just to pick up on that as I thought it was IC Swallow livery (many others also felt it didn't seem to make sense in that livery as their last Limby model was outshopped in the swallow version) but having read the article in the new January Hornby magazine today it clearly stated Inter-City Executive livery. Without delving into the archives I'm really not certain if the locos ran that scheme after the MU jumper equipment was removed.  Did 87010 run the livery with the later TDM cables?

Intercity Executive livery would make far more sense. Intercity Swallow would be a stupid idea duplicating the last Limby model

Intercity Executive livery would make far more sense. Intercity Swallow would be a stupid idea duplicating the last Limby model

The only reason I'll disagree with that logic is because the Limby model was out of date. So I don't consider them at the same level or aimed for the same market.

What would be stupid was if Lima did a super-detailed one and Hornby did one with the same running number. Anyway Ebay will probably end up with a lot of Limby ones soon. Those who had the Limby one will simply replace theirs with a better model.

The only reason I'll disagree with that logic is because the Limby model was out of date. So I don't consider them at the same level or aimed for the same market.

What would be stupid was if Lima did a super-detailed one and Hornby did one with the same running number. Anyway Ebay will probably end up with a lot of Limby ones soon. Those who had the Limby one will simply replace theirs with a better model.

Id say very few (on here, which is less train setter, more modeller) would have missed that minor detail.

• Like 1

But if you've got 35 locos to choose from (for that livery, assuming only 87101 didn't receive it) why on earth would you pick the very first one for a new model to be the exact same loco and livery as one of the two most recently produced albeit to a lower standard.

The Class 87s haven't been seen in regular service for a number of years so wont fall into the trainset category as much as Pendolinos or Flying Scotsman or Tornado or even units like Class 350s or 150s where kids will see or ride on them and want one in a set. It'll be largely 'modellers' that'll buy them ... I'm keen to see the model do well so wouldn't want there to be any obvious reasons that could affect sales. I'd have thought it obvious to pick another one for just now and if 87010 is so special to do then do it in another livery later.

Just going back to this coupling thing. Hornby are going with the body mounted coupling on the Class 87 as they wernt aware of any dislike/issue with this solution!! I messaged Paul (Hornby rep - see below) and he did politely reply back and very promptly. 

I know im not alone in dislike of the Hornby body mounted couplings so if you want to change this you need to message ASAP. I really dont know how they are going to perform with tighter curves when pushing!?!

Paul/Hornby rep posting where you can contact him. Note you need to private message him direct by clicking on his name/image on left of posting. See very first post in thread below.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/117322-warley/

This is disappointing to hear and may well be a deal-breaker for me, as I have too many Hornby locos in boxes awaiting coupling modifications as it is.

Anyway, I've messaged Paul with a description of the problems I experience with the body-mounted coupling, so it will be interesting to see what response I get. 

But if you've got 35 locos to choose from (for that livery, assuming only 87101 didn't receive it) why on earth would you pick the very first one for a new model to be the exact same loco and livery as one of the two most recently produced albeit to a lower standard.

The Class 87s haven't been seen in regular service for a number of years so wont fall into the trainset category as much as Pendolinos or Flying Scotsman or Tornado or even units like Class 350s or 150s where kids will see or ride on them and want one in a set. It'll be largely 'modellers' that'll buy them ... I'm keen to see the model do well so wouldn't want there to be any obvious reasons that could affect sales. I'd have thought it obvious to pick another one for just now and if 87010 is so special to do then do it in another livery later.

The fact it replicates the last Limby Swallow release is irrelevant to me as I'll be renaming and renumbering at least two of potentially three purchases.  In any case given the last Limby release had incorrect front jumper boxes, underscale bogies, permanently open cab side windows and moulded handrails the two models aren't even in the same league so to be honest it's not really duplication in my view.  Those that can afford the new model will buy it, those who perhaps can't will buy the Limby version on thiefBay as they get sold on, so it's a win-win all round.  I don't think the existence of a crude mid-1970s standard model in the same name and livery will undermine sales of the new model, they are as alike as crushed chalk and fine rich Stilton with a vintage port.

The fact it replicates the last Limby Swallow release is irrelevant to me as I'll be renaming and renumbering at least two of potentially three purchases.  In any case given the last Limby release had incorrect front jumper boxes, underscale bogies, permanently open cab side windows and moulded handrails the two models aren't even in the same league so to be honest it's not really duplication in my view.  Those that can afford the new model will buy it, those who perhaps can't will buy the Limby version on thiefBay as they get sold on, so it's a win-win all round.  I don't think the existence of a crude mid-1970s standard model in the same name and livery will undermine sales of the new model, they are as alike as crushed chalk and fine rich Stilton with a vintage port.

post-27484-0-07347000-1481737899.gif

Going back a couple of posts has reminded of something i forgot to add yesterday for those that haven't seen the article.....in the Hornby mag Paul Isles said that they have tooled up for every version of the 87 bar 87101.

........not sure where the main differences were on 101 that have ruled out a new version - is it major roof detail differences?  Not that bothered about 101 but I dare say it gives scope for those that want one to raid the spares box and do some detailing/renumbering.

Just waiting to hear back from Mr Isles to find out if the tooling and spec is now set in stone or not.  If that ship has set sail no point in offering any suggestions or ideas now.

• RMweb Premium

Going back a couple of posts has reminded of something i forgot to add yesterday for those that haven't seen the article.....in the Hornby mag Paul Isles said that they have tooled up for every version of the 87 bar 87101.

........not sure where the main differences were on 101 that have ruled out a new version - is it major roof detail differences? Not that bothered about 101 but I dare say it gives scope for those that want one to raid the spares box and do some detailing/renumbering.

Just waiting to hear back from Mr Isles to find out if the tooling and spec is now set in stone or not. If that ship has set sail no point in offering any suggestions or ideas now.

I do not have any PMs from you to respond to Thane, am I missing something?

Going back a couple of posts has reminded of something i forgot to add yesterday for those that haven't seen the article.....in the Hornby mag Paul Isles said that they have tooled up for every version of the 87 bar 87101.

........not sure where the main differences were on 101 that have ruled out a new version - is it major roof detail differences? 

Them's fighting words! Although there weren't too many variations, there's little point in offering 87004 because they won't get the RCH jumpers in the correct place*.

87101 had curious raised round circles on the cab roof from very early on, but I'm undecided as to whether they are air vents or radio aerials.

*There-I've said it in public....again.

If you look at the current listing for 2017 (first half) you'll see that the two product codes given to the Class 87's are R3580 and R3582. R3581 is missing and given that usually Hornby assign product codes for each type collectively there's probably another Class 87 to be announced either in Jan or for the second half?

Could it be a NRM Special edition, after all 87001 lives in York?

Could it be a NRM Special edition, after all 87001 lives in York?

I honestly have no idea, I've never bought a NRM product before so never kept track of their product codes assigned by Hornby. I have always wanted to buy the NRM special VTEC HST and the NRM special Class 71.

Maybe someone who has one of them can share the product code.

This is disappointing to hear and may well be a deal-breaker for me, as I have too many Hornby locos in boxes awaiting coupling modifications as it is.

Anyway, I've messaged Paul with a description of the problems I experience with the body-mounted coupling, so it will be interesting to see what response I get. 

I have now had a very friendly message back from Paul saying that Hornby are aware of the body-mounted coupling issue and are going to look into it. Promising.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I honestly have no idea, I've never bought a NRM product before so never kept track of their product codes assigned by Hornby. I have always wanted to buy the NRM special VTEC HST and the NRM special Class 71.

Maybe someone who has one of them can share the product code.

Often a quick shortcut to find Hornby codes is to do an ebay search.

Try Hornby NRM HST

and Hornby NRM 71

Quickly turns up R3502 and R3373.

Both are still available to buy at non-inflated ebay prices direct from Locomotion Models. For example, the HST is £285-£399 on ebay, £220 from the NRM, but there's only 13 left......

Often a quick shortcut to find Hornby codes is to do an ebay search.

Try Hornby NRM HST

and Hornby NRM 71

Quickly turns up R3502 and R3373.

Both are still available to buy at non-inflated ebay prices direct from Locomotion Models. For example, the HST is £285-£399 on ebay, £220 from the NRM, but there's only 13 left......

The NRM HST pack in VTEC from Hornby is a stunning pair. If you want one get it quick if there are so few left. You won't be dissapointed. I've recently got a full set of coaches to go with it.

Thanks

Mark

Back to the 87 of course, at least one will find its way onto Newlands or even a pair on a set of coils from Ravenscraig that would make a nice sight. Looks like the AC Electrics are finding favour after Bachmann boldly went with the 85 and forthcoming 90. Hornby s 87 certainly looks good from the 3D render in Rail Express. Plenty of detail and shouldn't have any problems hauling long trains going by the rest of the modern models haulage capabilities.

Hope this is a big success for Hornby and that the 86 follows.

All the best

Mark

In terms of the Class 71

Hornby general release:-

R3373 BR Green SYP NRM
R3374 BR Blue
R3376 BR Green

NRM Exclusive:-
R3378 BR Green SYP NRM (gloss finish)

General release:-

R3403 BR Blue/Grey
R3390TTS VTEC

NRM Exclusive:-

R3502 VTEC HST NRM Spl. Ed

Unfortunately it shows that Hornby's codes aren't always a flow. So I'm not too sure now about the missing R3581 being another Class 87. I shall most probably settle for a IC Class 87.

the final decision has not been made yet on which of the inter city liveries ie swallow or executive (which came in various flavours) will come first so maybe the extra catalgoue number is to allow for this late change of livery.

Initially the announcement was for an IC swallow version which was then contra to what was reported in the latest Hornby mag so Paul advised that they have yet to set in stone which livery until further info has been obtained and photos referenced to ensure the correct MU/push pull equipment features.

some other nice features are being researched/brought in.  Hmmm.tasty.  I forgot to mention to Paul another idea taken really from DJMs Class 71 model in having easily removeable cab interiors to paint or fit crews into. the mouldings simply being held in with 2 screws.

Edited by ThaneofFife