Hornby Class 87 - Confirmed Newly Tooled Version for 2017 !

ThaneofFife

• RMweb Premium

at that price I would expect to be able to hear the flush of the loos, the obnoxious **** with his personal stereo playing too loud, the screaming child...

Andi

Its gone way beyond personal stereos, I find it is becoming more and more common for people to play music and watch movies on tablets and smart phones using the speakers when on public transport.

Its gone way beyond personal stereos, I find it is becoming more and more common for people to play music and watch movies on tablets and smart phones using the speakers when on public transport.

then you have not understood, it is all about community sharing. He shares his music, you share your sandwich.

To say I'm over the moon is an understatement so I've ordered both. With the OR mark 3s and Bach Mark 2f it's going be an expensive 2 years but it's a nice problem to have. I'm 40 now and my railway memories were based on travelling up and down the WCML during the 80s so all of these new models during this era have got me more excited than ever before. Sod the pitched roof extension upgrade-it's a once in a lifetime opportunity to aquire quality models of trains I've always dreamt of. A big thank you Hornby, Oxford Rail and Bachmann.

Further down the line, I would like to buy the N Brass locos wide portal and Peco catenary system. Both look really impressive.

At some point I intend to construct a garden railway which runs into the garage after I have finished the garden landscaping. I intend to have the railway running over a large rockery and water feature including Hackbrucken bridges which I have already purchased and look fab. Fairly soon I'll post the photos of the garden to hopefully get some ideas and expertese from you guys out there.

• Like 5

Had this same experience the other day on the way into work, some idiot with his phone connected to a speaker in the back of his rucksack, I asked him more than once to turn it down.......

Cycling through London the other day and a Deliveroo cyclist waiting next to me at the lights had a full-on sound system rigged into his push-bike on full blast. I told him to buy some headphones.

wait till you see somebody who has fitted a steering wheel to their bike to replace handle bars !

• 1 month later...

One for Paul at Hornby to resurrect this thread slightly....more of a catch up.

When I emailed you last year about various aspects/suggestions you advised that the final livery for the later Inter City version of the Class 87 was yet to be agreed (was it to be executive livery, InterCity or Swallow (as per 87010 from the older Limby 87 model) and also would it have full yellow ends or half wrap round graphite (as per the preserved 87035 at Crewe)........

Any updates on livery with the model expected Q3 to Q4?  That's not so far away now.................

Note sure if this has been answered here or elsewhere without thumbing through the pages.......but has the tooling any allowance for the "as built" original cab fronts with just the original MU jumpers?

I recall that Heljans (one of) errors with their 86 was they had only tooled for later versions with high intensity headlight and MU and TDM cabling and the tooling would not allow them to reverse back to the much simpler as built frontages.  Many folk seemed to crave the earlier versions that just weren't possible to produce without major new tooling costs.

Also on the off chance has any decision been made on the decoration of the buffers at this stage?  

• RMweb Premium

Cycling through London the other day and a Deliveroo cyclist waiting next to me at the lights had a full-on sound system rigged into his push-bike on full blast. I told him to buy some headphones.

That seems to be becoming more common in London. At the risk of making generalisations it seems that these tend to be the same cyclists who suffer colour blindness seeing as how they ignore traffic lights, don't know what a one way street is and who consider pedestrians should keep off pavements.

Thane of Fife,

I can provide a few answers to your queries, as Paul invited me to have a look at the livery drawings for my comments thereon.

87.010 will appear in InterCity Swallow livery. The nameplate will have a black background, and the 'INTERCITY' branding is central on the bodyside. The yellow on the cab front extends up to the lip immediately below the cab windows.

The tooling allows for the original m.u. boxes, and the original central headlight (with black surround) of the 87s as they were released to traffic, so any version from their introduction to their withdrawal from service with Virgin can be modelled from that tooling.

Therefore, 87.035 will be released as it was when it was introduced into traffic.

Not quite sure as to what you mean about "decoration of the buffers".

Edited by 87029

Thanks for the tip.i checked the magazine out. Looking forward to getting one now.i see from the design that the BR blue one will feature original cab fronts so ive ordered one of those as swallow is not my preferred era......be good to see one in Executive livery in the future with a high speed pan.

Wheels look on the large side in the magazine similar to the limby version....im sure Hornby changed wheelsets from the Lima ones but hopefully its not going to be an issue. The larger wheels make the bogies look too short, something that i understand was a bugbear of the old models.

Decoration of buffers. Couldnt think of another way to say it in short form but what i suggested to Paul was that as the buffers were being assembled the shanks are painted steel rather than left black as these are moving parts. Im not sure if a decision has been taken yet as to whether the buffers are sprung or fixed. Easier for folk to paint themselves if they are fixed.

• RMweb Premium

That seems to be becoming more common in London. At the risk of making generalisations it seems that these tend to be the same cyclists who suffer colour blindness seeing as how they ignore traffic lights, don't know what a one way street is and who consider pedestrians should keep off pavements.

To be honest I'd rather cyclists on the road did not wear headphones as they can't hear traffic, warning horns etc. so become even more oblivious to the vehicles and pedestrians around them.

• RMweb Gold

To be honest I'd rather cyclists on the road did not wear headphones as they can't hear traffic, warning horns etc. so become even more oblivious to the vehicles and pedestrians around them.

Indeed, no road user should wear headphones.

Roy

• RMweb Premium

Sorry haven't bought Hornby Mag so far this month. Can I just seek clarification of the statement 87035 as she was when introduced into traffic? Does this mean she is un named, as they were introduced 73/74 but only named in 78. As introduced would be right up my street, but I thought it was a namer we were getting in blue

• RMweb Gold

Car drivers would need to tear themselves away from their sat navs, mobile phones and 'In Car Entertainment' systems to be observant enough to firstly spot a cyclist and secondly  to take any evasive action better than blowing their horn.

Far more bad drivers than cyclists on the roads.

But best we stick to model railways on this forum :)

I still think its stupid to release 87010 in exactly the same number and livery combination as the earlier Limby model

sure I read that the staff at Margate had some affinity with the King Arthur name.........but I know what you mean.  At least release something not previously seen even if its a brand new tooling version of it. 

• RMweb Premium

Also leads to the sort of confusion where you have old tooling models on certain auction sites with asking prices (and sometimes catalogue numbers too) of the new tooling version.

sure I read that the staff at Margate had some affinity with the King Arthur name.........but I know what you mean.  At least release something not previously seen even if its a brand new tooling version of it. 

I gathered that too, but cant see how personal preference can come into it. Same livery different number would be fine or even that number and name but make it Intercity Executive would be fine, but the same livery and number combination thats already been produced is just daft.

well the livery and number is what it is.........hopefully with a January release date we should be able to view some painted samples on show at Warley this year.

I must say though credit to Hornby in the speed they are developing this model. Bachmanns Class 85 took about 3 years from announcement and the Class 90 is around the 4 year mark now I believe.  This 87 will be just over 1 year but heaven knows how long it might have been in gestation behind the scenes for........

I do agree with Gordon that 87010 is fine but maybe Hornby could have gone down a different livery route away from Swallow unless the old model was a major selling hit......

Does anybody know what the scale diameter of the wheels should be on the model BTW?

• Like 2