Hornby Class 87 - Confirmed Newly Tooled Version for 2017 !

ThaneofFife

I don't actually think Hornby had a 7mm scale 87 on show, I suspect the "large scale cab" was actually a toolmaker's model.  EFE used to get frothers into a tizz when they showed 1:24 scale masters of new models when they actually turned out to be toolmakers wooden masters for new 1:76 scale models.

Given Hornby are trying to steady a very rocky financial ship, I can't see them committing money to a new 7mm range.  I suspect the Danes have a very different business model to Hornby which is about as understandable as one of their TV crime dramas without subtitles.

• Like 1

I don't actually think Hornby had a 7mm scale 87 on show, I suspect the "large scale cab" was actually a toolmaker's model.  EFE used to get frothers into a tizz when they showed 1:24 scale masters of new models when they actually turned out to be toolmakers wooden masters for new 1:76 scale models.

Given Hornby are trying to steady a very rocky financial ship, I can't see them committing money to a new 7mm range.  I suspect the Danes have a very different business model to Hornby which is about as understandable as one of their TV crime dramas without subtitles.

and I cant see that big a market at all for 7mm AC overhead electric locos either.  .......if Hornby were going into 7mm theyd surely go steam or deseasel. 

Given Hornby are trying to steady a very rocky financial ship, I can't see them committing money to a new 7mm range. I suspect the Danes have a very different business model to Hornby which is about as understandable as one of their TV crime dramas without subtitles.

I'm fascinated at the number of variants of the Clayton that Heljan has knocked out. I know their runs are shorter than most (soft tooling?), but the number of models of an unsuccessful prototype must be very high by now.

Maybe the Danes know more than we suspect. :)

Paul

• RMweb Premium

I'm fascinated at the number of variants of the Clayton that Heljan has knocked out. I know their runs are shorter than most (soft tooling?), but the number of models of an unsuccessful prototype must be very high by now.

Maybe they keep breaking down like the prototype and need replacing?

Hat, coat, etc.....

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

I'm hoping the missing R number is a version of my favourite 87 livery. The large logo livery as modelled by Lima - but it has to be Cock o' the North again.

Scrolling through this topic, Hornby website and a couple of the magazines, i can't find anything on the chassis. I don't have the knowledge of many on here so maybe a silly question but, will the 5 pole motor give the 87 a realistic pulling power? My limby 87's struggle to pull 5 Mk3 s up a short gradient, slowing terribly compared to my 85 pulling much longer trains.

Excited by this annoucement (told people to forget Christmas presents this year and put it toward these next year), but without any muscle i don't know if i'd bother!

• Like 1

the one-off large logo experimental grey livery applied to 87 006 City of Glasgow would make a fine collectors release. more so I think than the experimental livery first applied to 87 012 at the same time back in 1984.

I never quite understood why Lima produced 87022 in that large logo scheme. a livery it never carried. 

I would expect nothing less on this new model than a decently weighted metal chassis with all axle drive and enough puff to haul 10 coaches on the flat (for those with the room for such lengthy trains in 00).  id like to think it would match the Heljan class 86 chassis for weight and performance as that got a lovely motor and chassis (apart from slightly droopy couplings).

• RMweb Premium

I never quite understood why Lima produced 87022 in that large logo scheme. a livery it never carried. 

Lima went through a phase of fantasy liveries, they seemed to get carried away with doing all sorts of weird and wonderful liveries at one point. I thought some of them actually looked very good, a bit of a shame they were fantasy liveries in some cases.

I would expect nothing less on this new model than a decently weighted metal chassis with all axle drive and enough puff to haul 10 coaches on the flat (for those with the room for such lengthy trains in 00).  id like to think it would match the Heljan class 86 chassis for weight and performance as that got a lovely motor and chassis (apart from slightly droopy couplings).

Hope your correct with the weighted chassis etc. Can't see me running more than 6 coaches so as long as it has enough puff for them on a gradient at speed!

With hindsight i'm puzzled at the large lgo scheme on 87022. At the time however i was still in single figures and a nice driver had let me in the cab of Cock o' the North at Carstairs, so when lima brought out their's i was too young to realise it wasn't a real livery and it immeadiately became my favourite loco. I'm too old now to change my favourite loco even if the real thing never carried the livery! :(

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
Guest Midland Mole

For those looking to put a Class 87 on their Christmas list, please be aware that our latest order acknowledgement from Hornby shows an expected release date of January 2018.

Personally I'm glad about that, this year is expensive enough! :D

Alex

• RMweb Gold

For those looking to put a Class 87 on their Christmas list, please be aware that our latest order acknowledgement from Hornby shows an expected release date of January 2018.

Weren't the original Pecketts due January 2017 but managed December 2016?

Roy

• RMweb Premium

Lima went through a phase of fantasy liveries, they seemed to get carried away with doing all sorts of weird and wonderful liveries at one point. I thought some of them actually looked very good, a bit of a shame they were fantasy liveries in some cases.

At the time 87s were only blue, which meant they could only produce one model. They wanted to broaden the range and increase sales. It was their interpretation of large logo . From memory they did the 20 too

• RMweb Gold

At the time 87s were only blue, which meant they could only produce one model. They wanted to broaden the range and increase sales. It was their interpretation of large logo . From memory they did the 20 too

And 33025

• 2 weeks later...

Given that currently most class 87 locos are in Bulgaria and that handfull of the class 86 are in Hungary as class 450 I wonder whether these types of engines could be candidates for reproduction in 1:87 HO rather than the usual legacy OO 1:76 of Hornby tinplate days or Triang of old.

Hornby who are international can draw experience from old 1:80 Rivarossi now part of Hornby for Italian outline from the days of big motors.

Potential sales on both sides of the Channel.

If these are to be made in 1:76, is there provvision in the bogies for easy conversion to 18.83mm track gauge correct for 1:76 4mm/ft?

Edited by FNM600

Given that currently most class 87 locos are in Bulgaria and that handfull of the class 86 are in Hungary as class 450 I wonder whether these types of engines could be candidates for reproduction in 1:87 HO rather than the usual legacy OO 1:76 of Hornby tinplate days or Triang of old.

Hornby who are international can draw experience from old 1:80 Rivarossi now part of Hornby for Italian outline from the days of big motors.

Potential sales on both sides of the Channel.

If these are to be made in 1:76, is there provvision in the bogies for easy conversion to 18.83mm track gauge correct for 1:76 4mm/ft?

Is there a potential market for Bulgarian and Hungarian models? I ask only because I've never even heard of or seen Bulgarian and Hungarian models.

I'd be interested in modelling an Eastern European layout with HO scale 86s and 87s, but only if I have the time and space to do it justice, at which point the cost and method of delivering such locos in HO is hardly going to be an issue. There might be interest for them in British HO but they are still very much a niche interest when compared to 4mm scale.

I'd be interested in modelling an Eastern European layout with HO scale 86s and 87s, but only if I have the time and space to do it justice, at which point the cost and method of delivering such locos in HO is hardly going to be an issue. There might be interest for them in British HO but they are still very much a niche interest when compared to 4mm scale.

As I come to understand the locos that were exported had quite a bit of cosmetic modifications to comply to each nations requirements. Tooling up for a British HO niche market and an Eastern European niche market might not be the most affordable.

Ermmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm (braces ones self to be shot down in flames for lack of knowledge). But would the high speed pantograph of Hornby's planned 87 make a reasonable swap for the oversized pantograph on Heljans 86???? Should of course, Hornby take the decision to make it available as a spare? 

I know there are are vociferous few who knock the Heljan 86 for...... well six, but they can't be that bad a model as you don't exactly see the used market flooded with them and of the three Heljan 86's I have it's the panto's that are the detail that kind of annoy me the most.

• Like 3

Ermmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm (braces ones self to be shot down in flames for lack of knowledge). But would the high speed pantograph of Hornby's planned 87 make a reasonable swap for the oversized pantograph on Heljans 86???? Should of course, Hornby take the decision to make it available as a spare? 

I know there are are vociferous few who knock the Heljan 86 for...... well six, but they can't be that bad a model as you don't exactly see the used market flooded with them and of the three Heljan 86's I have it's the panto's that are the detail that kind of annoy me the most.

I don't see why it won't. If Hornby do stock them as spares, buy as many as you can. LOL! It'll be a perfect match though it will depend on your prototype.

• Like 2

I wouldn't get your hopes up on the Brecknell Willis... Hornby have said it will not be sprung, so it's likely to be similar to what they put on their ex-Lima variant. I think this is to do with the mechanics of a single arm pantograph, where unless you run a chain through a hollow lower arm like the real thing, then you need an additional support arm, which makes the pantograph look unrealistic.

Big shame, but let's see what DJM Dave and Bachmann come up with on their 92 and 90 projects.

I wouldn't get your hopes up on the Brecknell Willis... Hornby have said it will not be sprung, so it's likely to be similar to what they put on their ex-Lima variant. I think this is to do with the mechanics of a single arm pantograph, where unless you run a chain through a hollow lower arm like the real thing, then you need an additional support arm, which makes the pantograph look unrealistic.

Big shame, but let's see what DJM Dave and Bachmann come up with on their 92 and 90 projects.

Hornby aren't using the older Class 87's pantograph...Just because it's not sprung it doesn't mean it's the older one. They're tooling up a new pantograph.