Hornby Class 87 - Confirmed Newly Tooled Version for 2017 !

ThaneofFife

Hornby aren't using the older Class 87's pantograph...Just because it's not sprung it doesn't mean it's the older one. They're tooling up a new pantograph.

Sorry... I said it's likely to be similar, I never said it is the older one. Let's not forget, it was actually a very neat example of the Brecknell Willis. However, it is a bit of a shame that they will not be sprung on a loco that's £170RRP!

DJ Dave has said that the class 92 pan will be available as a spare, so that may be good news for those looking for a good pantograph for the likes of Heljan 86's.

• Like 2

Sorry... I said it's likely to be similar, I never said it is the older one. Let's not forget, it was actually a very neat example of the Brecknell Willis. However, it is a bit of a shame that they will not be sprung on a loco that's £170RRP!

DJ Dave has said that the class 92 pan will be available as a spare, so that may be good news for those looking for a good pantograph for the likes of Heljan 86's.

Well that is an option for those who would like sprung!

Edited by MGR Hooper!

Shame about the rest of the loco!  I'm really hoping Hornby will follow their 87 with an 86.  I keep asking Paul at the Hornby stand at exhibitions - he is obviously non committal but he does give a wry smile.!  And he hasn't said no!

Edited by cravensdmufan
  • Like 1

I'd be surprised given they have committed to an 87 if Hornby didn't follow on with an 86, I wonder, if they are intending to do all variants as per the 87, whether the design work to tool up for the 86 "Heinz 57 varieties" is taking longer hence the 87 being announced first?

I never thought I'd be saying that about Hornby not long back!

Shame about the rest of the loco!  I'm really hoping Hornby will follow their 87 with an 86.  I keep asking Paul at the Hornby stand at exhibitions - he is obviously non committal but he does give a wry smile.!  And he hasn't said no!

I bet they will do that....It's either got to be a Class 86 or a Class 91

86 would be a far better seller for them given their wider operational areas, many liveries for future releases and of course class longevity - 50+ years and a few still going strong!

It'll be interesting to see. I seem to remember reading an article a while back that they were weighing up between an 87 or 91, before deciding on the 87, so a 91 could still be on the back burner. I have, like others, mentioned '86' to Paul, who does indeed give a 'never say never' response, but I think they want to see how the 87 goes first.

Paul said at Ally Pally that the first 87 EP is pretty imminent... they're getting way ahead of the Bachmann '90 project, which is still a long way off according to Bachmann themselves.

It'll be interesting to see. I seem to remember reading an article a while back that they were weighing up between an 87 or 91, before deciding on the 87, so a 91 could still be on the back burner. I have, like others, mentioned '86' to Paul, who does indeed give a 'never say never' response, but I think they want to see how the 87 goes first.

Paul said at Ally Pally that the first 87 EP is pretty imminent... they're getting way ahead of the Bachmann '90 project, which is still a long way off according to Bachmann themselves.

Depending on how they have tooled the 87, an 86 may be a relatively cheap modification. Body sides are the same. An 86/1 just needs a different front end & roof components, 86/2,4,5,6 also need a different underframe & new bogies. Older versions would need a few more changes.

I find it odd how long the Bachmann Class 90 is taking - I dont even think we've seen any CAD drawings yet. Its hardly a long-extinct class where they cant find drawings or reference material

Are there all that many variations between the class? There cant have been too many major modifications between them that need tooling up which could be an issue with the Class 158s

I'd think a new Class 86 would be a great move

• RMweb Premium

Paul said at Ally Pally that the first 87 EP is pretty imminent...

Let's hope that those bodyside grills have been corrected compared with the first shots shown again at Ally Pally and don't look like Heljan's effort on their 86.

Edited by brushman47544

Let's hope that those bodyside grills have been corrected compared with the first shots shown again at Ally Pally and don't look like Heljan's effort on their 86.

I wouldn't worry too much about that; it's apparently a limitation of the 3D printing process that it couldn't produce them fine enough. The EP will be a better indication.

I find it odd how long the Bachmann Class 90 is taking - I dont even think we've seen any CAD drawings yet. Its hardly a long-extinct class where they cant find drawings or reference material

Are there all that many variations between the class? There cant have been too many major modifications between them that need tooling up which could be an issue with the Class 158s

I'd think a new Class 86 would be a great move

Spoke with Bachmann too - this back log is all down to too many items being announced in 2013, and they're just playing catch up. I'm sure it'll appear eventually, but it gives us time to save up! The scariest thing from Bachmann was the chap I was speaking to admitting that a 2F with DCC is likely to cost around £75! :O

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry too much about that; it's apparently a limitation of the 3D printing process that it couldn't produce them fine enough. The EP will be a better indication.

Spoke with Bachmann too - this back log is all down to too many items being announced in 2013, and they're just playing catch up. I'm sure it'll appear eventually, but it gives us time to save up! The scariest thing from Bachmann was the chap I was speaking to admitting that a 2F with DCC is likely to cost around £75! :O

With so little progress visible it does look like more of a land-grab than anything else. Although to their benefit it will have avoided the duplication of a competing model.

£75 doesn't sound bad if DCC fitted - £15 for the decoder, £60ish for the loco. Lots of small locos are nudging £100 now

With so little progress visible it does look like more of a land-grab than anything else. Although to their benefit it will have avoided the duplication of a competing model.

£75 doesn't sound bad if DCC fitted - £15 for the decoder, £60ish for the loco. Lots of small locos are nudging £100 now

Oh lol, I've caused some mega confusion here... I refer to the 2F Aircon carriage, hence my shock! :P

• Like 1

still not sure how the dcc fitted coaches are going to function.  presumably they all come with the same address but if you want to split your collection into smaller fixed rakes you will need to allocate a new address for those in the new rake (s).........with the functions at £75 retail I would hope its more than just on or off and that you can dim the lights down. and hopefully the loos and vestibules will be illuminated too.

I suppose they’ll all come with the usual default address of 3. You can then allocate whatever numbers you like. If you allocate different numbers, you can then make them a “multiple header” if you wish to operate them together. I programmed my Midland Pullman with two different numbers so that I can control the lights in each end separately, then I run it as a double header.

• RMweb Premium

still not sure how the dcc fitted coaches are going to function.  presumably they all come with the same address but if you want to split your collection into smaller fixed rakes you will need to allocate a new address for those in the new rake (s).........with the functions at £75 retail I would hope its more than just on or off and that you can dim the lights down. and hopefully the loos and vestibules will be illuminated too.

At the prices being quoted, what about being able to switch lighting colour to that blue colour we got in the Nightrider stock in the mid-80s.

• Like 1

are the DBSOs priced at the same level? I'd assume the lighting functions for them would be a bit more complex with the head and tail lights, but £75 is steep!!

• RMweb Premium

Fortunately you've got the much more sensibly priced Oxford Mk3s. Half the price in fact @£34.95 /£29.95 at Rails although the gent I was speaking to at Glasgow wasn't sure if they would incorporate lights at that price point. He was saying they would like to include lighting but also wanted to deliver the model at a reasonable price. Brexit had not helped . Seems very sensible to me.

My purchases of Bachmann Mk2f will be restricted to DBSO , and if I see a reasonable second hand Hurst conversion of an Airfix 2d as others upgrade I'd probably go for that as I'm DC and have electronic track cleaners. While Oxford appear price savvy , Bachmann coaches are more expensive to start with and instead of doing what they can to make them less expensive appear to be adding more extras like DCC in each coach. Is this necessary, do people really want it? It does seem like Bachmann are targeting the upper end of the market and tailoring their output to suit.

I thought there would be a master coach with the chip in it; the other coaches electrically connected via couplings like the 4-CEP as Bachmann seemed to be getting away from the "chip in every vehicle" with their DMU's/EMU's. I think this would be a good idea as these coaches are aimed at the upper end of the market who have a large layout where a long rake can be used and stored on the layout as a permanent unit.

• RMweb Gold

At the prices being quoted, what about being able to switch lighting colour to that blue colour we got in the Nightrider stock in the mid-80s.

at that price I would expect to be able to hear the flush of the loos, the obnoxious **** with his personal stereo playing too loud, the screaming child...

Andi