Bristol Victoria (Blues in the 80's)

Andrew P

Hi Andy,

I know you love track and like to 'fill' the space but I can't help feeling that the track in your last photo is beginning to look very busy.

I recall reading a thread a few days ago that showed the relationship between the running lines and sidings, something that I had not knowingly appreciated myself. Your photo looks like you have used a 6ft between all the lines working out from the signal box where in reality there would probably be a 10ft between the two running lines adjacent to the signal box and the adjacent sidings. Your problem here is that if you adopted this the furthest line on the right would fall off the edge of the baseboard.

Just a thought.

Ray.

Edit.

The thread is here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/106067-passing-loop-clearance/?p=2127869

Makes interesting reading if nothing else.

Hi Andy,

I know you love track and like to 'fill' the space but I can't help feeling that the track in your last photo is beginning to look very busy.

I recall reading a thread a few days ago that showed the relationship between the running lines and sidings, something that I had not knowingly appreciated myself. Your photo looks like you have used a 6ft between all the lines working out from the signal box where in reality there would probably be a 10ft between the two running lines adjacent to the signal box and the adjacent sidings. Your problem here is that if you adopted this the furthest line on the right would fall off the edge of the baseboard.

Just a thought.

Ray.

Edit.

The thread is here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/106067-passing-loop-clearance/?p=2127869

Makes interesting reading if nothing else.

Hi Ray, Thanks for that, I intend to re look at the sidings and the Branch running Line when I come to fit it in. In my Plan ''B'' I was going to split the Lines further around the Shed and that would have alleviated that problem, I have fitted another siding in that may well come back out again now.

Cheers.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Brian but NO, I don't want to be restricted as to what I send down that way, be it Coal, Oil, or General Goods etc.

Andy,

It could always be the docks exchange sidings, rather than the docks itself, with a single line headshunt that looks as if it goes on. In reality its your fiddle yard sidings and BR locos wouldn't go any further, but gives some scenic potential?  Just a though, not trying to tell you what to do!

Rich

Andy,

It could always be the docks exchange sidings, rather than the docks itself, with a single line headshunt that looks as if it goes on. In reality its your fiddle yard sidings and BR locos wouldn't go any further, but gives some scenic potential?  Just a though, not trying to tell you what to do!

Rich

Hi Rich, the idea of the Sidings at the front of the Layout is that they are the Exchange Sidings and the 08 or similar will do Trip workings into the Docks from there.

Cheers Marcus, I will remove the run around in the Sidings and take it off the Docks Branch, i.e. move it over to use the Docks Branch as the run around. and do away with one Siding so as to un clutter that area as Ray / Tender suggested. I think it will look a lot tidier.

Thanks for posting the Map Peter, I would have thought a School Teacher would be able to lay his hands on some plain white paper, :no: hahah, Even Izal Germaside would have done hahhahah :nono:  :nono: :nono:  :nono:  

What it shows is how Bristol Victoria fits into the Railways of Bristol with access to the Midland and Western Region Routes and the Joint Lines down to the Docks.

Well I've spent today working on Beale Street Sidings, http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/116976-beale-street-sidings-inspired-by-but-not-a-copy-of-cwm-bach/page-20 but tomorrow I hope to get back on BV and start with the Track laying for the Midland Fiddle Yard. I also want to re look at the Docks Branch / Run around Loop / West Yard Sidings as a re jig of the whole area looks to be required.

Hi Andy

I was half way through a missive on the possible geography of Bristol for you, including a plea that you combined the GW / LM lines to give a more appropriate double track. However the tablet choked on it and all was lost!

I'm pleased that you seem to heading for the double track, and would suggest you have a good look at the Bristol photos in that link on BS with the sidings. All good context.

However Peter Ks map doesnt work for me. In effect its just an extension through the old St Phillips (LM) station, but would have put the station in the middle of the ancient city centre. Surely couldn't have happened, except post 2nd WW when a lot got flattened. Also they were only able to lay a connection from LM to GW through Lawrence Hill goods yard after the Midland line had closed.

As I may have mentioned before, I think the more elegant answer would have been a chord from the W end of clifton down tunnel, to the original formation of the line to Avonmouth. This ran from Hotwells, almost under IKBs suspension bridge.

This would allow your joint line to come in from the west.

As for traffic I see great potential in Midland trains from the North which split to serve either Bath GP or Bristol TM with one half, the other portion being 4 or 5 coaches for BV. GW trains could similarly serve both Bristol stations spling at TM or Stapleton Road.

The Bath GP to Bristol locals were the last steam workings in the area, at the end were std cl 3 tanks plus 3 coach sets of green bullied stock. Avonmouth locals originated at various locations including Weston super Mare, Westbury Wilts, and Portishead. (Incidently Avonmouth station was the basis for my last layout I started, before Helstonish, and would be worth a look as the basis for your layout as the potential for goods traffic variety would be enormous. And there were much bigger docks with rheir own loco fleet).

Hope this helps with the background thinking, and I'll repeat the offer I made on Bitton. Should you want to vist the area, I would be happy to act as your courrier and navigate you around the sights.

Hi Andy

However Peter Ks map doesnt work for me. In effect its just an extension through the old St Phillips (LM) station, but would have put the station in the middle of the ancient city centre. Surely couldn't have happened, except post 2nd WW when a lot got flattened. Also they were only able to lay a connection from LM to GW through Lawrence Hill goods yard after the Midland line had closed.

I think it could have, after all a railway was driven through Conway Castle. The Victorians were not quite as precious as we are about old buildings and monuments.

I think it could have, after all a railway was driven through Conway Castle. The Victorians were not quite as precious as we are about old buildings and monuments.

A good point, but I suspect there would have been a lot more vested commercial interests in Bristol, as well as the the old half timbered buildings against it.

Hi Andy

I was half way through a missive on the possible geography of Bristol for you, including a plea that you combined the GW / LM lines to give a more appropriate double track. However the tablet choked on it and all was lost!

I'm pleased that you seem to heading for the double track, and would suggest you have a good look at the Bristol photos in that link on BS with the sidings. All good context.

As I may have mentioned before, I think the more elegant answer would have been a chord from the W end of clifton down tunnel, to the original formation of the line to Avonmouth. This ran from Hotwells, almost under IKBs suspension bridge.

This would allow your joint line to come in from the west.

As for traffic I see great potential in Midland trains from the North which split to serve either Bath GP or Bristol TM with one half, the other portion being 4 or 5 coaches for BV. GW trains could similarly serve both Bristol stations spling at TM or Stapleton Road.

The Bath GP to Bristol locals were the last steam workings in the area, at the end were std cl 3 tanks plus 3 coach sets of green bullied stock. Avonmouth locals originated at various locations including Weston super Mare, Westbury Wilts, and Portishead. (Incidently Avonmouth station was the basis for my last layout I started, before Helstonish, and would be worth a look as the basis for your layout as the potential for goods traffic variety would be enormous. And there were much bigger docks with rheir own loco fleet).

Hope this helps with the background thinking, and I'll repeat the offer I made on Bitton. Should you want to vist the area, I would be happy to act as your courrier and navigate you around the sights.

Hi Tony, Thanks for your thoughts and offerings but I'm not a perfectionist and for me I like the Plan, it's what I asked Peter to come up with after giving him several scenarios and thoughts. My idea is that St Phillips doesn't exist so that removes that area from the plan.

You mention that the area got flattened in WW2, well in my opening gambit I mentioned that the Station Building was destroyed in WW2 so that ties in nicely.

I'm going to have a look at your Avonmouth for traffic ideas though.

Thanks for the offer of a tour but I don't get out much, and so that wouldn't be possible, beside, I'm never that interested in modelling a real location, the name, the scenario, and the Layout in that area are pure fiction in my own little world, and I can live with that.

Thanks for your input, really appreciate your time.

Cheers.

Morning all.

So back to more mundane matters this morning, and I've made the board for the Fiddle Yard at 90 degrees to the Main Layout so it's the same as Pencarne was.

After coffee, I need to have a play around with a whole host of right hand curved points to start the Yard. Starting with the Midland Route, the longest road will be for the main Passenger set and a long Loco so just over 6ft long, then they'll get progressively shorter as they come in, with the shortest of the 5 Tracks looking like it'll be about 4ft or so, so long enough for a Local 3 Coach set or DMU, the rest in between will be for Goods and Parcels etc..

Once that's done it will be the same again for the Western Region lines, (5 again) with the longest about 6ft and then the Docks Branch.

With the Midland Fiddle Yard area sort of sorted this morning before taking the Good Lady Food Shopping, I also had time wire up the Point Motor and insert the Point for the MR / WR Junction and so later (after a kip in the chair) I'll lay both lines up to the start of the Fiddle Yard Points.

Hopefully we can see some pictures soon then Andy.

Yep will do later, the Batteries are on charge ready for tomorrow when George T, Jeff / Binny and our mate Mike who is suffering from really bad Altzimers now, are off to the GCR at Loughborough for a Boys Day Out, it will start as these things always do, with a BIG BREAKFAST at Loughborough Station next to a roaring Coal Fire.

Yep will do later, the Batteries are on charge ready for tomorrow when George T, Jeff / Binny and our mate Mike who is suffering from really bad Altzimers now, are off to the GCR at Loughborough for a Boys Day Out, it will start as these things always do, with a BIG BREAKFAST at Loughborough Station next to a roaring Coal Fire.

Have an enjoyable visit Andy. Oliver Cromwell has been running for the last couple of days. I had hoped to make it over to the GCR during the festive season but it is now unlikely. 

So a few pics of the laid lines, with the WR Junction from the MR Line. Also the Goods loop now off the Docks Branch and reducing one siding from the front as suggested by Ray / Tender..

STILL PLAYING WITH IT.

post-9335-0-43965400-1483123328_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-29871500-1483123373_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-26168700-1483123430_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy

Have fun, take loads of pictures and give my regards to the gang.

So a few pics of the laid lines, with the WR Junction from the MR Line. Also the Goods loop now off the Docks Branch and reducing one siding from the front as suggested by Ray / Tender..

STILL PLAYING WITH IT.

It is looking ok Andy.  Not sure if that is your final positioning of the backscene but, and it is only a personal thing, what I do not like to see is trains coming on to the scene on a tight 90 degree curve.  I know it is hard to disguise especially when you are short of space but banana shaped coaches with over hanging bogies give me the 'eebie geebies

If you want a crossover there Andy, I'd be inclined to put it the other way round.

Then two roads from the yard can access the harbour branch.

Hi Peter, I had sent you a PM before seeing this, so yes revert to the original 2 Points that I had but moved over one Track, that's doable and would look better.

Hi Andy

Have fun, take loads of pictures and give my regards to the gang.

Cheers Clive, Cold but fun I hope, well maybe NOT the Cold bit, hahha

It is looking ok Andy.  Not sure if that is your final positioning of the backscene but, and it is only a personal thing, what I do not like to see is trains coming on to the scene on a tight 90 degree curve.  I know it is hard to disguise especially when you are short of space but banana shaped coaches with over hanging bogies give me the 'eebie geebies

Hi Mick, The Back Scene needs to be roughly where I have placed it, but longer to reach the end of the Baseboard, I too hate to see jack knifing coaches which is why its going to be about there. Luckily once I sight it's just a gentle curve all the way to the Station.

Bear in mind the position of the Back Scene.

post-9335-0-62300100-1483130127_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-66861700-1483130184_thumb.jpg

Archived