(ABANDONED PROJECT) Trewithen.

Andrew P

I understand that Miss Rivette Counture will be to hand with all the advice you need.

Hahha Yes indeed Clive, Looking in from very high up I hope Clive, like a mile away would be about right.

It will only be a very basic representation mate.

• RMweb Premium

I even had time to clear up Kingsford and finish laying that Fiddle Yard as well.

attachicon.gifFiddle Yard finished 003.JPG

attachicon.gifFiddle Yard finished 004.JPG

Cor blimey Andy some blighter has dumped a load of toy trains on your jumble sale table.................who brought all that tut that was on it yesterday?

The Point Rodding was nightmare, NEVER AGAIN, will I try doing any more.

I think / have decided that the rest of the Yard can be worked from either a Ground Frame or single Levers alongside the Points.

Having said that I may still try and put in some cabling for the Signals.

There is also the small matter of adding the Catch Points as well yet, and as you will see, there are NO compensators etc.

It's from perfect, and it's far from right, but it's a token gesture that looks O.K. to me, and it's more than I've ever done on a Layout before.

post-9335-0-84589900-1490289820_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-91392400-1490289869_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-44059200-1490289890_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-03360400-1490289908_thumb.jpg

T

The Point Rodding was nightmare, NEVER AGAIN, will I try doing any more.

I think / have decided that the rest of the Yard can be worked from either a Ground Frame or single Levers alongside the Points.

Having said that I may still try and put in some cabling for the Signals.

There is also the small matter of adding the Catch Points as well yet, and as you will see, there are NO compensators etc.

It's from perfect, and it's far from right, but it's a token gesture that looks O.K. to me, and it's more than I've ever done on a Layout before.

attachicon.gifPoint Rodding 001.JPG

attachicon.gifPoint Rodding 002.JPG

attachicon.gifPoint Rodding 003.JPG

attachicon.gifPoint Rodding 004.JPG

Thanks for your views about point rodding.  I have seen then on quite a few exhibition layouts and always thought that, while they looked the business, they were a step too far for me - far too fiddley.

Great progress though Andy and you certainly have plenty of operating potential there with 8 fiddle yard roads.

Regards,

Brian.

Andy, I wouldn't like to try that in O, let alone anything smaller.  It looks rather large right now but a bit of paint will work wonders.  But we never worry about such things with tinplate layouts! :dontknow:

Brian.

Andy do you want the bad news from a proffesional Signal Engineer?

You've installed the facing point locks (the bits between the points) backwards! The rodding should come from the common end towards the switch tips, not from the switch heels. That is because there should also be a fouling bar to detect the presence of a vehicle within "x" feet of the switch tips. "X" is whatever lenght the longest distance betwee axles is for "your" railway

You've installed the facing point locks (the bits between the points) backwards! The rodding should come from the common end towards the switch tips, not from the switch heels. That is because there should also be a fouling bar to detect the presence of a vehicle within "x" feet of the switch tips. "X" is whatever lenght the longest distance betwee axles is for "your" railway

Do you mean the big Grey bits? I didn't know what they were, I just copied the little bit of a drawing on the packet, I really don't understand how they can go in any different, so I might just remove them tomorrow as Mike / The Stationmaster said the Great Western didn't always fit them anyway.

Thanks for posting.

EDIT = See Post 294 below.

I should correct and say fitting point rodding is horrible! As it reads it may come across wrong, personally I found it uber frustrating as without know what goes where the rods and especially the compensators end up in a gluey mess!

Lots of good progress though :)

Thanks for adding this post Dan, I wondered what you meant, I agree it is HORRIBLE to fit and now I'm told it's WRONG as I haven't a clue what bits go where.

Do you mean the big Grey bits? I didn't know what they were, I just copied the little bit of a drawing on the packet, I really don't understand how they can go in any different, so I might just remove them tomorrow as Mike / The Stationmaster said the Great Western didn't always fit them anyway.

Thanks for posting.

Just seen some pics on Kevin's Little Muddle so now I know whats wrong, thanks.

• RMweb Premium

I am afraid Point Rodding has always been a detail too far for me.

So Andy I am sorry to say that your HORRIBLE experience only reinforces my doubts about my ability to pull this off in a convincing way.

Hat's off to those who can make this work - and to you for giving it a shot with us all watching.

Talking to Andy yesterday when he told me that he has laid a little of the point rodding just to give an 'impression' of the rodding, and its not meant to be an exact replica of the real railway with every part in the right place,

Morning Gang, And thanks for the likes etc. Well a busy day a head, (none Railway) but before, that I hope to get out there shortly and remove the facing Point Lock (large grey bit between the rails) and re do the Linkage at that end to resemble something like a Rod and Crank.

Also this weekend I hope to weather the rodding a bit to help disguise it as Kevin has done on Little Muddle which looks superb.

Morning Andy you have been a busy lad all looking good mate . Well done for attempting the point rodding not an easy task is it. My good friend Rob the owner of Batley which appeared in Railway Modeller last year spent a fortune and many hours installing Wills rodding and it has made a big visual effect on a very large layout . You can only give a representative effect of such a complex subject but it does add to the layout detail and once it has been weathered it will blend in nicely.  

Morning Andy you have been a busy lad all looking good mate . Well done for attempting the point rodding not an easy task is it. My good friend Rob the owner of Batley which appeared in Railway Modeller last year spent a fortune and many hours installing Wills rodding and it has made a big visual effect on a very large layout . You can only give a representative effect of such a complex subject but it does add to the layout detail and once it has been weathered it will blend in nicely.  

Thanks Martin, It is one thing that has always been missing from my Layouts apart from Trebudoc, which I did using some small Nails and plastic Rod for a basic effect and that worked fine.

As you say, once weathered it will blend in fine with the surroundings.

Archived