(ABANDONED PROJECT) Trewithen.

Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

Andy

Have you tried the magnets slightly staggered? My (rectangular) magnets are fitted across the rail between the top of the (SMP track) web and the underside of the rail such that the left hand magnet is one sleeper spacing before the right hand magnet. They're certainly more positive that way so I wonder if your left hand magnet was set back about 5mm from the right hand magnet whether you'd also see an improvement - that of course depends on whether you already get almost 100% performance with your current arrangement.

Just a thought.

Hi Guys, Not Glue Gun Day, but UHU Day, I fitted the Neo Magnets for the Kadees, not pretty but they'll be hidden by the Ballast soon.

The Magnets.

attachicon.gifp.jpg

And fitted

attachicon.gifMagnets 001.JPG

attachicon.gifMagnets 002.JPG

attachicon.gifMagnets 003.JPG

Hi Andy.

Them under track magnets will look a lot better than the between track ones once they have been ballasted in. Just make sure they're working as expected and in the right place before ballasting as they will be a pain to move at a later date.

You have trains running already! Looking good, how did you get it wired up so quick?

Hahhah I wish, :no:  look again, it says Push / Play, :O  I hope to get some wiring done next week if I can, but need 9 Point Motors first.

• Like 1

Andy

Have you tried the magnets slightly staggered? My (rectangular) magnets are fitted across the rail between the top of the (SMP track) web and the underside of the rail such that the left hand magnet is one sleeper spacing before the right hand magnet. They're certainly more positive that way so I wonder if your left hand magnet was set back about 5mm from the right hand magnet whether you'd also see an improvement - that of course depends on whether you already get almost 100% performance with your current arrangement.

Just a thought.

Thanks for that tip, I'll have a look at that tomorrow.

Edited by Andrew P

Hi Andy.

Them under track magnets will look a lot better than the between track ones once they have been ballasted in. Just make sure they're working as expected and in the right place before ballasting as they will be a pain to move at a later date.

Hi Ray, yes I had 100% success on Pencarne with them, I hope for the same.

That last shot shows a lot of operational and shunting potential. Great stuff.

Thanks Andy, it;s almost right, but I'm contemplating removing the Parcels Bay as that probably wouldn't have been a necessity in those Days, but I'm still not sure at the moment, so still playing with ideas. If I did I would make the Bay Line the Dairy as I did with Porth Merryn.

post-9335-0-47918500-1488703474_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Looking good Andy. Has the feel of a Southern terminus - a bit like Bude maybe - and I like the distribution of the different freight sidings.

In that vein personally I'd keep the parcels bay, perhaps as a passenger bay too so you can have a train waiting to leave on one platform awaiting an arrival in the other from the other route. And have you thought about a loco depot siding/shed and coaling point for a train that sheds overnight?

Will enjoy watching how this layout progresses.

Looking good Andy. Has the feel of a Southern terminus - a bit like Bude maybe - and I like the distribution of the different freight sidings.

In that vein personally I'd keep the parcels bay, perhaps as a passenger bay too so you can have a train waiting to leave on one platform awaiting an arrival in the other from the other route. And have you thought about a loco depot siding/shed and coaling point for a train that sheds overnight?

Will enjoy watching how this layout progresses.

Morning Andrew, Thanks for your thoughts, that's a good point about the Bay, but I don't have room for a Shed without over crowding the area, however there will be a Coaling Platform and Water Tower.

• Like 2

I like the parcels bay Andy. As Andrew (Brushman) has said you could you use the bay for passenger trains too. The platform layout reminds me a little of Swanage.

Edited by andyram
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning Andy,

Lots of lovely features on Trewithen. With regard to the bay, have you considered double facing it?

A good West Country example would be Kingsbridge Station as seen below.

post-7376-0-41355200-1488706414.jpg

The bay could be signaled as a departure only platform, which I grant you is a bit LSWR in its origins, but it would provide you with a larger amount of operating potential and moves. 

2 coach B-set arrives at the main platform, locomotive propels the stock back, runs round and draws the whole lot out and shunts over to platform 2. 

Locomotive then goes off to the shed for watering etc. 

In the mean time a short pick up goods arrives at the main platform. 

Once the passenger loco has been serviced, run to the bay platform for departure. 

Just a thought!

Nick.

• Like 9

I've gone for a departure only bay after seeing how it would operate on the Burnham on Sea model doing the exhibition circuits.

It offers additional shunting moves and lets you have more than one passenger train in the station or a passenger train plus a goods arrival/shunt.

They are also perfect for autotrain operations too.

• Like 2

I've gone for a departure only bay after seeing how it would operate on the Burnham on Sea model doing the exhibition circuits.

It offers additional shunting moves and lets you have more than one passenger train in the station or a passenger train plus a goods arrival/shunt.

They are also perfect for autotrain operations too.

Thanks Woodenhead? sorry I don't know your name, Yes your dead right and as seen in the pics above, I dug out the Autotrain to see how it would fit, and it's perfect.

Thanks for your contribution.

Excellent plan there the Wizard of Swad has been mixing his magic again .

Thanks Martin, but it's only thanks to some prodding in the right direction from fellow Webbers, NOW I'm really pleased with it.

That looks great Andy. Looking forward to what scenic ideas you come up with.

Thanks Steve, I'm looking  forward to getting on with some scenics too, just the SMALL :no:  :no:  task of fitting all the Point Motors, Point Leaver Frame and wiring it up first though.

Edited by Andrew P

Thanks Steve, I'm looking forward to getting on with some scenics too, just the SMALL :no: :no: task of fitting all the Points, Point Leaver Frame and wiring it up first though.

So a bit of wiring, and then some grass by about Tuesday then.......

:-)

ps off to build my last set of legs....

Edited by sp1
  • Like 2

Looking great, Andy !

I think you have hit this one square on the head, BLT with good shunting potential !  Going back to the engine shed question, though, - was it not occasionally practice for the goods shed to be used for overnight loco stabling, or did that only apply to stations that had their own dedicated shunter ? Obviously, one would be needing a 'drive through' goods shed for that, which I haven't spotted on your layout.

Looking forward to the scenics when they start - about midnight did you say !!?? :jester:  :jester:

Looking great, Andy !

I think you have hit this one square on the head, BLT with good shunting potential !  Going back to the engine shed question, though, - was it not occasionally practice for the goods shed to be used for overnight loco stabling, or did that only apply to stations that had their own dedicated shunter ? Obviously, one would be needing a 'drive through' goods shed for that, which I haven't spotted on your layout.

Looking forward to the scenics when they start - about midnight did you say !!?? :jester:  :jester:

Thanks Andi, you haven't spotted the Goods Shed, That's good because I haven't got one yet, it will probably be the Ratio one as I had on Pencarne.

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

I have been too busy model making to keep up with the to-ing and thru-ing in the famous potting shed of Swad. Cor blimey you have been busy.

Did I read correctly it is DC controlled no extra C. That means no noise sound. :O

While on the subject of sound, Mrs M has gone vegan, to save me two lots of washing up I am eating the same food as she is cooking. This is having an effect on me. No need for sound fitted DMUs on my layout. I have perfected the brumm, brummmm, brummmm as a DMU changes gear accelerating from the station and not from my mouth.  :stinker: 

Looking forward to seeing progress. :sungum:

• Like 1