Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

What don't we want to model?

• RMweb Premium

Another thread has been derailed entirely as a picture showed a small swastika graffitied on a building. This has been deemed "disgusting" by some.

There have also been suggestions that a diorama depicting someone hanging from a bridge is inappropriate.

Whilst many of us adorn our buildings or stock with graffiti you very rarely see swear words.

What else is a reality which we don't want/like to reflect in miniature?

Not appearing to be an issue in the period I model, but one thing that seems to be missing on contemporary layouts is rubbish being dumped at the lineside, usually in towns. Yes, we see the graffiti on walls and wagons etc. but not the mattresses, builders rubble, plastic bags, supermarket trolleys, vehicle wheels/tyres that get dumped 'over the fence'. Scrapyard scenes abound, but not the overall 'dumping ground' that many areas now are.

I once saw a layout or diorama (can't remember which - it was years ago) depicting a fight outside a pub. One of the little figures was prone on the pavement and there was even a bloodstain. I know this happens, I just don't particularly want to look at it.

Personally, although I model real-life locations, I won't model anything I wouldn't want to see in the real world - graffiti, vandalism, rubbish, antisocial behaviour, crime and so on. Dirt, weathering and such like, yes.

It's my world and it's the only place anywhere that is run entirely according to my rules!

Some years back the New Hey layout used to appear here. A photograph appeared showing a cameo scene of the open topped gents urinal complete with customer holding....well, you get the idea, and with fibre optic stream of p***.

Well, it kicked off a right old ding . Apparently women and young girls, not to mention horses, would panic at the sight of the size of said member, society as we knew it would crumble around us. I kid you not, there were threats of legal action.

Amazing.

• RMweb Premium

The psychology of it all is quite interesting. Re: the cameo of the person threatening to kill themself, the comment was that they objected because emergency services personnel may be offended by it. Not that he was offended. It's like vicarious offence.

On Another forum there was a discussion about including disabled figures, which someone deemed "morbid" (or similar, I forget the exact wording). I'm not sure that reflecting such things is what I'd call morbid!

I always cringe slightly when I see cameos on layouts like burning buildings, road accidents or (on one occasion) a bank robbery in progress.

Stuff like this is the exception - IMHO most layouts that are described as having "great atmosphere" model the "the rule", or basically dull every day life where nothing really happens much.

I suppose when I model I either consciously or sub-consciously want to forget the bad bits of life - nowt wrong with that.

I know a lot of military modellers who are only too aware of the horrors of war and pay due respect to that fact but try to separate it from the enjoyment of building models - similar thing I guess.

I'm pretty, well very, robust on these kind of things, you would struggle to offend me, but the 'hanging man' is totally unwarranted.

Strikes me as either a desperate search for a 'different' cameo or a deliberate attempt to shock.

We've all seen the swastika graffiti, it's common. Thankfully few of us have seen somebody hanging, it's unusual and usually enacted in a secluded spot.

I'd be more concerned about the relative of somebody who had committed suicide by hanging being upset by coming across the scene. We've had a couple of suicide hangings in the woods around here, I cannot see any justification for modelling it.

One O Scale layout had a "rocking caravan" on it. Not that bothered by it myself, except I didn't appreciate having to think up an explanation - other than the obvious - for my then-5 year old son. :mad:

I think I know that one! At least it wasn't a couple visibly 'enjoying' each other (static or otherwise)...

• RMweb Premium

Depends on how badly people want attention, either through skill of modelling or just to plainly shock, some times it makes you wonder if there is an alterior motive.

Or indeed how much people want to be offended! What could be the ulterior motive beyond amusing/offending people?!

It's a question I wonder about when I (rarely) see such things, are people reflecting their own thoughts through 'graffiti', and such like ?, or the inclusion of ( god forbid) hanging people. As I work with disabled ( mentally, and physically), these are things that cross my mind. Some times people will include such things without thought of possibly offending others.

• RMweb Gold

No issue with avoiding the distasteful parts of life as identified by several above.

As for disabled folk on the layout, I think we live in an era of emancipation for the less fortunate. The DDA gave them new rights on the high street, for example, and mobility scooters have extended their range. Good news in my book, and certainly not an offputting sight on any layout.

I find it strange that you rarely see model figures in wheelchairs. And if you look at the model people on layouts there is no ethnic diversity. The Bachman. Figures are all white as well. Just thinking about it my layout is as guilty of this as any other.

Never mind the model, in Bristol a group are trying to get the 'Colston Hall' renamed. He made money from the slave trade, as did many others back then. But, if the owners succumb to the name change, how about the other dozen places named after him, the statue, etc. Are they going to try and ignore the history of the place, and change it to suit current political correctness?

• RMweb Gold

There was a news article on TV this week showing the use of wheelchair using mannequins in a ladies clothes shop window.

Good. Because this week's able-bodied person - maybe an RMwebber? - might be next week's accident or stroke victim needing to become a wheelchair-user. Should they become a non-person? Can they not look smart in nice clothes?

Never mind the model, in Bristol a group are trying to get the 'Colston Hall' renamed. He made money from the slave trade, as did many others back then. But, if the owners succumb to the name change, how about the other dozen places named after him, the statue, etc. Are they going to try and ignore the history of the place, and change it to suit current political correctness?

Never mind the Colston Hall.

A few years ago a group was similarly trying to change road names in Liverpool because of the slavery links. Including Penny Lane..........

Now that would have been interesting.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

I ,on a previous layout modelled a perimeter fence of an airbase with a B47 bomber suspended above the layout.

Alongside the fence I modelled some hippies being moved on by the police from an anti nuclear protest

Archived