SWAG 2017 - Lineup, Details, Catering - all you need to know

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

As well as the monies, can I ask, do we know how many attended?

Do we know who attended?

Can I also appeal to those that did attend, to feel free to post their observations of Helstonish on my topic. Since its the first time in public for both the layout and myself, and I want it to continue to develop and improve, feedback would be appreciated.

All the best

TONY

Tony 

It is a nice layout and I think a very simple backscene mainly sky with perhaps some distant hills not too prominent would really lift in. At Staplegrove there was a rail just above which didn't help. 

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ugh!

Well given that was my reaction to a cake with courgettes* in them, yet apparently it tasted delicious according to others - so maybe a Sprout cake could work...

(my mum used to like growing said things - but after a family Holiday she found out they had grown so well they had become marrows in our absence. Us kids christened them "Snozzcumbers" from Mr Dahl's BFG story which probably gives a good idea of what we thought of the taste.......) 

Edited by phil-b259

Oh, and can we drop all this nonsense about moving elsewhere. The clue is in the name, it's a SWAG do, all invited. The venue and location are perfect.

Jerry and Kim

Sorry, I guess that was my fault! Oh well, I hear there are lots of pubs and cider orchards in the area to be discovered!

Well given that was my reaction to a cake with courgettes* in them, yet apparently it tasted delicious according to others -

It most certainly did. Think carrot cake; light, moist, the lime giving just a hit of 'sharp' to the sweetness. Drool.

I'll be judging on the GB Bake Off next....

• RMweb Premium

It speaks volumes for this quite modest event, the level of interest shown and the camaraderie among seemingly all who have had any involvement that this topic continues to generate high posting rates and very favourable reviews.

I missed a good one this year. I plan to be back next year. If I can bring a layout from Australia in my travel bag and persuade it to (mostly) work in Taunton once then I am very sure I can do something similar a second time.

On the subject of which I have finally today received word that my application to have "Boghouses" journey considered a world record for farthest-travelled model railway has been declined by Guinness. Not because any other layout gas travelled farther (we still believe none has) but because it fails their criteria tests.

Unless anyone can show me a working layout which has travelled farther from home to exhibition and back I shall continue to consider the record mine by default.

• Like 5

I didn't know I was demonstrating until a few days before when John said he was bringing a card table (what? - bridge, poker, snap?) but it was very worthwhile experimenting with various options for making 1,250 3rd rail chairs/insulators for the viaduct. A number of visitors dropped by to ask questions, pass judgement on my sanity, and best of all make some very helpful suggestions.

Revelation of the day was finding out you could fit the Peco chairs with the Peco Code 60 rail upside down, i.e. with the flat bottom on the top and thereby showing the same head width as the Scalefour Society conductor rail - otherwise the former looks decidedly thin in comparison. Result. We can cope with the compromise in areas where the third rail won't be scrutinised too closely.

I'd missed the last 2 years, so it was good to get back. Well done to Stu and the team. 

Should've bought Andy's sound-fitted Deltic at that price, even if it was blue ...

• Like 5

All this model railway activity in the area makes me want to move back even more :(. Anyone want to swap a house to do up and a few acres in West Wales, for something nice that doesn't need any work done to it in or around Minehead?

• RMweb Gold

It most certainly did. Think carrot cake; light, moist, the lime giving just a hit of 'sharp' to the sweetness. Drool.

I'll be judging on the GB Bake Off next....

I shall pass on your comments to the Memsahib whose work it was. It is her speciality and bizarre but true I didn't manage to grab a slice.....but it is cowing lush as we Welsh say.

In fact I shall have a word tonight and perhaps she will make another...She also does them as muffins......Perhaps for next year.....

Rob.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I believe that that is, in fact, the Andy York Summer 2017 pinny collection exclusive to Matalan.

Negotiations are under way with Captain Kernow to reprise his role as a Matalan supermodel just for these.

Ah, the Kernow quondam days.....

Herewith the good Captain engaged in practical testing of Matalan's revolutionary range of lineside high visibility clothing that strangely failed to gain popularity within the railway industry.....

post-19301-0-68530500-1493894648.jpg

Edited by Not Jeremy
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ah, speaking of dark secrets, here we see the good Captain outside one of his emporiums "somewhere in Wales". No wonder he didn't build many train sets, what with this and Network Rail to organise....

post-19301-0-70325700-1493896044_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Ah, speaking of dark secrets, here we see the good Captain outside one of his emporiums "somewhere in Wales". No wonder he didn't build many train sets, what with this and Network Rail to organise....

attachicon.gifWales07 197.jpg

Would that be the "Private Members Only" shop I've heard talk about ?

A.Summers

• RMweb Gold

Now safely back from Devon I would just like to say a big thank you to everybody who worked to put together last Sunday's fantastic event. I have been to four so far and rate it as the most enjoyable modelling event of the year. Without the challenge of producing a module I would still be faffing about, planning but never really producing something.

If you haven't considered building a module, now is the time to start, a module is after all the new Cameo - but joined up and so much more fun. Mike has produced a super set of fiddle yards to go at each end and Arthur is taking care of them for future use. It was great for us to be in the larger room this year and I am sure I speak for all of us moduleleers that we felt much more part of the event with the new arrangements.

I want to change something I said to Tim early on Sunday morning  - This event is Captain Kernow's Prodigal Son - so thanks Tim for all the labour pains you went through to give it birth!

I am posting this photo here, Chris allowed me to borrow his beautiful new Bulleid Diesel and run it along the modular layout - really impressed both with the looks and the running over what was at the time some pretty un-fettled track.

looking forward to next year already!

all the very best to all who were there.

Godfrey

post-138-0-29988000-1493900054_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

The big news is that catering made £130.00

Crediting the prudent guidance of HRH Kernow in procurement quantities ensured that there was a high efficiency level to the quantity of pies and pasties enabling exhibitors to be fed from the budget covered by non-exhibitor pastie purchasing. Undoubtedly the generous gifts of cake from exhibitors and visitors and obvious purchase and consumption delivered a positive fiscal outcome from the event's eatery so a thank you to all who chipped in with cake.

Whilst I know that B&B trading produced a very good result it's also recognised, anonymously, that there were some significant personal acts of kindness in that.

Well done to everyone.

• Like 19

• 3 weeks later...

Well done to 'One & All', and I think the £950 raised (as good as) for the MacMillan Nurses is terrific from a bunch of modellers on a quiet one day event.   In total, because of Andy agreeing to Gift Aid it, = £1,140.oo

I'm a Poppy Appeal Officer for a Village in West Cornwall, we would be over the moon to raise that amount in a week, so I appreciate just how great (£'s) the funds raised are.

Sandy Croall, Mousehole RBL Poppy Appeal Officer.

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 1

Well done to 'One & All', and I think the £950 raised (as good as) for the MacMillan Nurses is terrific from a bunch of modellers on a quiet one day event.   In total, because of Andy agreeing to Gift Aid it, = £1,140.oo

I'm a Poppy Appeal Officer for a Village in West Cornwall, we would be over the moon to raise that amount in a week, so I appreciate just how great (£'s) the funds raised are.

Sandy Croall, Mousehole RBL Poppy Appeal Officer.

Thank you, Sandy! Yes, I think we did rather well for a low-key, one-day event. Although actually, the £948.75 donated included the 25% Gift Aid. (see post #317 for breakdown) Next year perhaps we ought to aim for a thousand smackers for a good cause.  :declare:

• Like 3

Next year perhaps we ought to aim for a thousand smackers for a good cause.  :declare:

One of the problems I encounter on a number of Fund Raising scenarios is that the last, and normally high figure attained, becomes the bench mark, which if not reached, there's then the negative comments like ".... we didn't do as well as last year...." etc.,

There is an organsation in our Village which has just been low key bucket collections, Council donations etc., which has pulled in around £10k a year for approx., 40 years, we now have newbies in on the act for the last 3 - 4 years and anything less that £25k and it's a thumb screw event - though why we need these sums is beyond some of us.

Those of us 'Oldies' who liked the 'community' spirit of the last 50 years, are not happy, but when retired(?) Bankers, Accountants etc., join, the focus changes - I just wish they knew how to change a light bulb - Latest idea, hire a theatre in PZ and have an Auction of donated Art work, where the group receive 15% of the takings, as some of the ( 100+) paintings etc., are estimated at £ 8 - 10k, you can see they have moved on from shaking a bucket.

Sorry about that moan, but rising bench marks are not my scene, what will be, is what it is.

Oh, sorry, OK, it's £950 with Gift Aid, I still think that's terrific though.

Might be more with a Peripatetic Card reader next year...... :O 

Edited by Penlan