SWAG 2017 - Lineup, Details, Catering - all you need to know

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

I have already suggested than next year's event will be in Truro.

Very central as it happens - about halfway in journey time between some excellent fish & chips in Falmouth and our friends up on the north coast.  So easy to persuade Mrs Stationmaster to make a weekend of it (so i can allow at least two days for the train journey - just in case)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Any chance next year it could be a bit more centrally located in England, say Bristol or Swindon?

It does look a nice show. Off topic, but who's going to Warley this year? Unless they change the date it looks like I'm unable to go, but I might be able to go the year after. We could copy the Bachmann Collectors Club and have a lounge exclusively for RMwebbers!

If Rick could bring a layout from Australia two years ago.......

Don

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Any chance next year it could be a bit more centrally located in England, say Bristol or Swindon?

It does look a nice show. Off topic, but who's going to Warley this year? Unless they change the date it looks like I'm unable to go, but I might be able to go the year after. We could copy the Bachmann Collectors Club and have a lounge exclusively for RMwebbers!

The location is first class. Only 15 minutes off the M5 and from comments made, reasonably straight forward by public transport. The hall itself is a very nice venue.

Some exhibitors, traders and visitors had travelled from Cornwall, 2hrs plus so going the other way is about 100 miles northish.

My point is whilst I cannot speak for Swindon I cannot see that a move to Bristol will make SWAG any more accessible and I do say that as some one who drove past Bristol on my way to Taunton.

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

If Rick could bring a layout from Australia two years ago.......

Don

Which still exists, having made the full round trip, and is about to depart for England once more ..... Guinness Records have still not processed my application for "World's farthest-travelled model railway".  

Who knows what I might be able to offer a year from now.  It's too early to commit myself though the intent is there.

2017 looks to have been every bit the success that the "CK Years" were so full marks to the entire team for picking up the reins and delivering.  I know some folk might feel Bristol or the like is more central.  Staplegrove has become the home of the SWAG Member's Day and is more or less central when one considers the south-west as a region.  I look forward to being a part of it once more in 2018.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

[quote name="Gwiwer" post="2706384" timestamp="1493598586"

2017 looks to have been every bit the success that the "CK Years" were so full marks to the entire team for picking up the reins and delivering.  I know some folk might feel Bristol or the like is more central.  Staplegrove has become the home of the SWAG Member's Day and is more or less central when one considers the south-west as a region.  I look forward to being a part of it once more in 2018.

Totally agree, Rick. My first year this year and my first as an exhibitor and what a great experience it was.

Let's keep it simple and leave well alone.

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Totally agree, Rick. My first year this year and my first as an exhibitor and what a great experience it was.

Rob.

So Truro is not an option then...

• RMweb Gold

Let's be clear. This is the SWAG (South Western Area Group) annual bash, to which the rest of us are kindly invited free. Taunton is, by any reckoning, fairly north in the South West.

It worked when CK was the mover and shaker. It hath worked for his successors. It ain't in any way broke so there's nothing to fix.

Let's be clear. This is the SWAG (South Western Area Group) annual bash, to which the rest of us are kindly invited free. Taunton is, by any reckoning, fairly north in the South West.

It worked when CK was the mover and shaker. It hath worked for his successors. It ain't in any way broke so there's nothing to fix.

Yes, I was aware of that, which is why I said Bristol or Swindon as a pose to somewhere further north.

• RMweb Gold

Rob.

I agree, the facilities, size and layout of the venue seem almost ideally suited to the requirements of the event. 

This year's relocation of the modular exhibit and the area set aside for consuming refreshments was a significant improvement, I thought. There was a much greater feeling of space and improved circulation within the main room and it avoided the interaction between the edges of the dining and exhibition areas which previously occurred when the hall got fairly full.  

As a specifically South West event, the location is very accessible, too. Close to the M5 and not far off the A303.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Alternatively, the most easterly town for the SW region of reasonable size could arguably be Poole (as Bournemouth and Christchurch can't count as they are SW interlopers from 1974 onwards... ;) ) so how about setting up on Sandbanks and having a beach party? :lol:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Alternatively, the most easterly town for the SW region of reasonable size could arguably be Poole (as Bournemouth and Christchurch can't count as they are SW interlopers from 1974 onwards... ;) ) so how about setting up on Sandbanks and having a beach party? :lol:

I believe BlackRat has a complete set of Hawaiian shirts he could lease for that sort of occasion.

Edited by Oldddudders

• RMweb Gold

I believe BlackRat has a complete set of Hawaiian shirts he could lease for that sort of occasion.

Not keen on this idea. We'll get sand in the pasties.

Rob.

Not keen on this idea. We'll get sand in the pasties.

Rob.

And we might disturb Harry Redknapp from his beauty sleep.

Edited by SVRlad

• RMweb Gold

I have just had a look on their website and the dates are 4,5 & 6 May.

HTH.

I was just about to add that 1st May is a Tuesday so Bristol will be in May as Normal not the last weekend in April.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Looks like I missed a cracking good day, I will have to try harder next time.

And I must seek out Sherton Abbas, I've not come across it before.

Thanks and well done to all the organisers, long may it continue.

And as for moving it, many of you will know that I'm a great believer in the slogan "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

All the best,

Dave.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

post-10195-0-98243000-1493627660_thumb.jpg

You'd have to watch out for the, er, horrocks and things though.

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifP1100538s.jpg

You'd have to watch out for the, er, horrocks and things though.

Wondered how long before sausages appeared.......

• RMweb Gold

Even though my sat nav took me through every small village and 6'6" wide lane in Somerset ('shortest route') the present venue is perfectly placed for this interloper from Ampsher. I think the venue is perfect too for the type of event it is, especially with the catering now separate from the layouts.

• Like 3