CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

Thank you. I omitted to notice it was the K&VWR loco, my all-time fav on that line. I wanted a soundfile that included the chingling snifter valves (anti-vacuum valves), a ringing noise characteristic of Fowler locos when steam is shut off. I found something that sounded vaguely similar in the YouChoos Fowler 2-6-4T soundfile, which the 4F now carries. While researching appropriate shed allocations, I could have renumbered it as a Llandudno Junction engine but I have no photos to show if it had a high Fowler Tender or not. One 4F that found its way to Corwen via Ruthin was a Camden engine, so I thought beggar it.....anything goes!   :sungum:

Larry, the 2 Junction 4Fs 44389 & 44525 were LMS left hand drive locos (as the Hornby version)

Hi Merf, I was going off 43877 which was shedded at 7A week ending 14th June 1952, a Midland engine with beaded splashers.  The early LMS RH drive 4Fs had pressed splashers so I had to be careful in choosing a suitable running number. In the event, none were allocated to "local" sheds stretching as far as Shrewsbury. Even then I would not have been able verify tender types, so I decided not to renumber the model.

Its a bit of a jerky runner on DCC and I am sure I read somewhere it is possible to use a CV or more to match the decoder to the mechanism.  If all fails, the decoder will be tried in a 'Crab'.

Edited by coachmann

Hi Merf, I was going off 43877 which was shedded at 7A week ending 14th June 1952, a Midland engine with beaded splashers.  The early LMS RH drive 4Fs had pressed splashers so I had to be careful in choosing a suitable running number. In the event, none were allocated to "local" sheds stretching as far as Shrewsbury. Even then I would not have been able verify tender types, so I decided not to renumber the model.

Its a bit of a jerky runner on DCC and I am sure I read somewhere it is possible to use a CV or more to match the decoder to the mechanism.  If all fails, the decoder will be tried in a 'Crab'.

1952 !, a bit before my time pal.

That's looking very nice, Larry. Is this after you have reduced the size of the splashers?

Yes except the one on the cabside. I have two of these engines (one unmodified)  and I can't say I notice any difference when operating the layout.  I think a lot of what we do these days is for the benefit of the cameras!

• RMweb Gold

Yes except the one on the cabside. I have two of these engines (one unmodified)  and I can't say I notice any difference when operating the layout.  I think a lot of what we do these days is for the benefit of the cameras!

I couldn't agree more!

I think I may leave mine unmodified.

Many thanks.

As each loco and wagon was prepared (weathered etc) for running on the layout, I also fitted Kadee coulings using a Kadee height gauge and track magnet. Out on the layout though, a different story emerged. I had forgotten Kadee's do not take readily to coupling and uncoupling on curves. so after two days of experimenting with Kadees and several languages, I knew the only answer was to 'straighten' the sidings. The brakevan siding was extended to become the provender store and coal siding, while the old curved coal siding became the brakevan refuge....

attachicon.gifWEB New yard 26.jpg

There is a lot more room for road vehicles and they now access the Provender store without crossing tracks....

attachicon.gifWEB New yard 27.jpg

Dean Goods in attendance this morning....

attachicon.gifWEB New yard 28.jpg

A downside of using bullhead track becomes obvious when an extra yard or two are required. Two yards by post was silly, so I re-spaced the sleepers on a yard of Code 75 Streamline to match the Peco bullhead track.. It isn't so obvious it isn't bullhead to the naked eye....

attachicon.gifWEB New Yard 29.jpg

I can never see any difference from 3 ft away, even WITH my glasses on.

The re alignment looks much simpler Larry, and I feel suits the area better.

• Like 2

The yard looks better with each modification, funny how a simple thing like Kadees can force an improvement in the yard layout.

I can see similar problems with Penmaenpool when I come to laying track in the station/yard and the engine shed areas, not to mention that I also have inclines and hidden tracks below the scenic section.  I feel sure that I will have problems when it comes to the finer details, so the scenic areas where such complexities may arise will have to be easily modified, both spatially and if necessary vertically.  The L Girder approach will help but not entirely.  Fingers crossed!

As to mixing track, this should not be a problem in Gauge O as Peco, C&L and Marcway all promise that they are compatible.  We shall see!

Paul

• Like 1

The yard looks better with each modification, funny how a simple thing like Kadees can force an improvement in the yard layout.

I can see similar problems with Penmaenpool when I come to laying track in the station/yard and the engine shed areas, not to mention that I also have inclines and hidden tracks below the scenic section.  I feel sure that I will have problems when it comes to the finer details, so the scenic areas where such complexities may arise will have to be easily modified, both spatially and if necessary vertically.  The L Girder approach will help but not entirely.  Fingers crossed!

As to mixing track, this should not be a problem in Gauge O as Peco, C&L and Marcway all promise that they are compatible.  We shall see!

Paul

I presume from your post you intend using Kadees in 0 gauge.  3-link are reasonably user-friendly on wagons using one of those torch hooks, but I can see a use for Kadees on coaching stock.

I presume from your post you intend using Kadees in 0 gauge.  3-link are reasonably user-friendly on wagons using one of those torch hooks, but I can see a use for Kadees on coaching stock.

Ah, no, there's another option!  MagClic couplers between coaches within a rake.  The latest version even looks like a coupler.  I don't think they will be able to release a 4mm scale version but you never know.

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I find it a little odd that to get a sound project for a 4F (of which several exist) you ended up using one of a loco class of which none survive!  Presumably that is a 4F recording! 

I recall 44422 at an NYMR gala day, I didn't know it was there, and could hear the jangling snifters as it approached through the tunnel - wondering what on earth it could be, and was pleasantly surprised to see a visiting loco.  I would have thought a real Fowler 2-6-4T would have had a sharper and more 'modern' voice than a 4F as they had long travel valves and were by all accounts very lively. 4F's being....less so.....44422 didn't much impress with its abilities that weekend!

• Like 2

I agree with Larry about the various sound files available for particular locomotives.  I was checking out Youchoos' Midland Compound sounds as I have built a David Andrews kit which is ready to receive a sound decoder.  They are simply wrong, in my opinion.  The Fowler 2-6-4T sounds, on the other hand, are much closer to the real thing (there are no useful recordings of a LMS Compound so you have to compromise).  At least Youchoos allow you to listen to a complete start, run and stop sequence on line before parting with cash.

I am also not a member of the public, Larry, no movie to watch this evening!

Paul

Have you published Larry? It's not viewable to the public, well not to me anyway.

I wonder if it is live now? 

I find it a little odd that to get a sound project for a 4F (of which several exist) you ended up using one of a loco class of which none survive!  Presumably that is a 4F recording! 

I recall 44422 at an NYMR gala day, I didn't know it was there, and could hear the jangling snifters as it approached through the tunnel - wondering what on earth it could be, and was pleasantly surprised to see a visiting loco.  I would have thought a real Fowler 2-6-4T would have had a sharper and more 'modern' voice than a 4F as they had long travel valves and were by all accounts very lively. 4F's being....less so.....44422 didn't much impress with its abilities that weekend!

I used a sound that I considered more suitable for a 4F 0-6-0 as I remember them (in steam days and on the Worth Valley plus some YouTube videos), hence the soundfile that YouTube market as for a Fowler 2-6-4T. I would use it for a Fowler 2P 4-4-0 and compound 4-4-0. There is also a dedicated LMS 'Crab' soundfile which is clankier and has a slightly deeper exhaust. When I cabbed a Fowler 2P 4-4-0 from Bury to Rochdale, the chinking of the anti-vacuum valves was most distinctive. They are also audible on Princess Royal Pacifics (below the running plate)

I agree with Larry about the various sound files available for particular locomotives.  I was checking out Youchoos' Midland Compound sounds as I have built a David Andrews kit which is ready to receive a sound decoder.  They are simply wrong, in my opinion.  The Fowler 2-6-4T sounds, on the other hand, are much closer to the real thing (there are no useful recordings of a LMS Compound so you have to compromise).  At least Youchoos allow you to listen to a complete start, run and stop sequence on line before parting with cash.

The Compound is a work if fiction I'm afraid by one sound producer. A three-cylinders machine yes, but only the two outside cylinders exhausted to the atmosphere and so the Compounds had 4-beats per wheel revolution and sounded like a regular 2-cylinder loco. Incidentally, a Compound at Penmaenpool would be most interesting.    :biggrin_mini2:

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2

Live action in the new yard this afternoon with GWR 0-6-0 No.2538....

Hi Larry,

If that's the 1 flywheel version, slow running appears reasonable in the video. Can I take it that on balance the revised motored model meets your requirements?

Colin

Have you published Larry? It's not viewable to the public, well not to me anyway.

Hi Coach

Which of the sound files is in this Dean Goods? I had no problems viewing it.

Cheers

Peter

Hi Coach, Thanks for sorting the Video, excellent.

Nice one Larry.

Edited by Andrew P

Hi Larry,

If that's the 1 flywheel version, slow running appears reasonable in the video. Can I take it that on balance the revised motored model meets your requirements?

Hi Colin, After altering the cab side-sheets to large-cutout type and lowering the splashers, I fitted the body to an earlier twin flywheel chassis & Tender which I had previously converted to DCC Sound. Then John Gymer kindly re-blew the decoder with YouChoos GWR 28XX 2-8-0 sound.

Edited by coachmann

Hi Coach

Which of the sound files is in this Dean Goods? I had no problems viewing it.

It has YouChoos 28XX 2-8-0 sound Peter. As you can tell, I go off sound, not what the producer says they are. I also have a particular liking for YouChoos soundfiles, which can be sampled before purchase on their website. All decoders need setting up in order to get the best out of what is on the decoder and this is one department that I do spend hours on.