CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

Live action in the new yard this afternoon with GWR 0-6-0 No.2538....

Hi Larry -  what a superb video, very atmospheric.  All it needed was the distant 'ting, ting' from the signal box before it set off 'on the main' (LOL).

For some reason (and I am obviously a neutral observer here, NOT!), I would really like to see it shunting into the Goods shed.  Shipston would have had a 'Deans', but the only photos I have seen are those on specials ('2474' and '2538') and (at the end) the ubiquitous BR Std 78XX 2-6-0's (such as 78004, 78008 and 78009, the latter pulling the last train on the branch, in May 1960).  We all had great expectations for this class in OO from Bachmann when they produced the LMS version -  well we are still waiting all these years later and now I do not need one!

Steve N

EDIT!

Just posted this and realised that your 'Deans' is '2538'!  Have a copy of the article from 'Railway Bylines' (December 2002) -  in May 1953, the Oxford University Railway Society visited Shipston-on-Stour behind '2538', pulling a pair of brake vans coupled to the thrice weekly(!) branch goods train.  Also says that '2538' was the last of its class to remain in active service, being withdrawn in May 1957 (when I was born - ARRRGH!) -  it was just short of its 60th birthday and I have just had my 61st (doesn't time fly when you are enjoying yourself).

Edited by steveNCB7754
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The Compound is a work if fiction I'm afraid by one sound producer. A three-cylinders machine yes, but only the two outside cylinders exhausted to the atmosphere and so the Compounds had 4-beats per wheel revolution and sounded like a regular 2-cylinder loco. Incidentally, a Compound at Penmaenpool would be most interesting.    :biggrin_mini2:

Wheeltappers has a Compound sound taken from an Irish loco.

http://www.wheeltappersdccsounds.co.uk/page75/index.html

They use Loksound decoders though and I know Larry prefers Zimo. At least they let you hear their sounds before you part with your cash.

Edited by Rowsley17D

Hi Larry -  what a superb video, very atmospheric.  All it needed was the distant 'ting, ting' from the signal box before it set off 'on the main' (LOL).

For some reason (and I am obviously a neutral observer here, NOT!), I would really like to see it shunting into the Goods shed.  Shipston would have had a 'Deans', but the only photos I have seen are those on specials ('2474' and '2538') and (at the end) the ubiquitous BR Std 78XX 2-6-0's (such as 78004, 78008 and 78009, the latter pulling the last train on the branch, in May 1960).  We all had great expectations for this class in OO from Bachmann when they produced the LMS version -  well we are still waiting all these years later and now I do not need one!

Just..... realised that your 'Deans' is '2538'!  Have a copy of the article from 'Railway Bylines' (December 2002) -  in May 1953, the Oxford University Railway Society visited Shipston-on-Stour behind '2538', pulling a pair of brake vans coupled to the thrice weekly(!) branch goods train.  Also says that '2538' was the last of its class to remain in active service, being withdrawn in May 1957 (when I was born - ARRRGH!) -  it was just short of its 60th birthday and I have just had my 61st (doesn't time fly when you are enjoying yourself).

Thanks.  What a good idea....A brakevan special!  The Dean could enter the goods shed, as it is live track in there.  Locos used to pass right through the goods shed at Portmadoc while knocking wagons about....It always looked funny to me. Your Shipston lineside hut has been transferred across the tracks to the old yard. Aesthetically, I didn't like it blocking the view of the 'farmers' concrete shed. But overall, I am delighted with all your buildings because they make Carrog look authentic as if the yard once really existed.

Regarding the Dean Goods withdrawal in 1957, I was 15 yrs old at the time. I framed a lovely front cover of 'Model Railway News' of George Heiron's painting of a Dean Goods on a two-coach train. 

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 3

It has YouChoos 28XX 2-8-0 sound Peter. As you can tell, I go off sound, not what the producer says they are. I also have a particular liking for YouChoos soundfiles, which can be sampled before purchase on their website. All decoders need setting up in order to get the best out of what is on the decoder and this is one department that I do spend hours on. 

Thanks Coach,  sorry I missed your earlier post where you had the Taffy Tank sound file replaced by the 28xx.  I am currently finishing off a couple of Dean Goods which I am going to sound enable.  Just wondering which YouChoos sound files to get.  I was tempted by the 56xx.  Peter

• RMweb Premium

Locos used to pass right through the goods shed at Portmadoc while knocking wagons about....It always looked funny to me.

Apologies for drifting off thread but I have been led to believe that locos weren't (normally) permitted to enter or pass through goods sheds. Was permission location or region dependent? 

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see Mrs Coachmann has put the dry day to good use. Is there any provision for anticlockwise travelling trains from taking a dive should the flap be left up?

That was the first thing PGH asked me this afternoon.  The answer is no....so far.  If it turns out I am daft enough to send a train to certain death, I will install an insulated fishplate  and a bit of wire. 

The flap is usually left up if I am in and out of the shed working on scenery or something. But when operating, the flap will be down and only lifted to pass it much like a public house bar.

Watch yerself then Larry ! :jester:

post-20303-0-07222600-1526232416.jpg

Well, Larry you have been busy and your followers even busier!  We had a two day Fiesta Friday and Saturday, though it rained Saturday evening which was the finale and we stayed in.  I did do some modelling though, but nothing like your efforts (of course!).  Today we had relatives visit from the next department (Herault) so a quick opening and closing of the railway room door was the closest I got to a drill, screwdriver or length of timber.

Coming back to the Youchoos Midland Compound sounds, they are indeed more appropriate to an original Patriot with a definite three beats to the revolution sound.  I pointed this out to John Gymer a couple of years ago but no change as yet.  Now I have bought his 14XX sound file I may have a bit more influence!  He also needs to change the Fowler 4-6-2T to 2-6-4T on his web site!  But I should add that I like his approach to selling sound files.  The comment recommending the Irish Compound sounds is a good one - many thanks!

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The comment recommending the Irish Compound sounds is a good one 

The layout of Glover's Class V was based on the LMS standard compounds so a priori one would expect recordings of Merlin to be a good starting point.

Nice cabin hook...This is the moderrn "Silent" type....not much slack in the system to rattle!

We have some to keep doors where we want them! ;)

(So they don't flap around!)

Edited by Sarahagain
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Nice cabin hook...This is the moderrn "Silent" type....not much slack in the system to rattle!

We have some to keep doors where we want them! ;)

(So they don't flap around!)

You have to watch them though. If the wood is not seasoned and warps, they can be a b****r to open.

I found time to have a bit of a 'play' yesterday, but those pesky Kadees are so unreliable at uncoupling on track magnets. I could easily etch a mechanical raising & lowering uncoupling ramp for tension-lock couplings, although it means they have to be uncoupled on the spot because pre-uncoupling doesn't work. One thing I will say though is tension-lock's tend to couple when coming into contact with a lone wagon whereas Kadees simply push the wagon as far as buffer stops before coupling.

"Neither use nor ornament" is a waste of space, so it is possible I will solder a bar to the locos to keep them looking tidy and keep tension locks on everything else. 

• 3 weeks later...

Good to have an update from you, Larry. Another shed I see, is that for the N gauge layout??

Good to have an update from you, Larry. Another shed I see, is that for the O gauge layout?? :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:  :no: 

Excellent Larry, that loco goes like a champ.  I note you have Kadees installed.  I think these are a good alternative to tension lock and I used them extensively for the nearly 30 years I was doing 00.

Cheers

John

Edited by brossard

The other shed is where I spend time spraying. As for 'N' gauge, I had my fill of handling mickey-mice trains for old friend Roy Dock, and my eyes were a sight better then. 'O' gauge has been indulged twice so I think there is a clue there.

Double track from Deeside Loop to Corwen.......Now that could be interesting.  

• Like 7

Sheer craftsmanship Larry,

Many of us here are extremely jealous of your skills across the whole range needed to build a superb model railway, but particularly your painting skills.

Cheers,

Dave

With a few hours going spare, I fitted Kadee couplings to all the rolling stock that had been hanging around in boxes for months. Then the coach bodies were removed from thier chassis and the chassis and wagons spray-weathered. Two Collett blood & custards were masked and the 'blood' re-sprayed using Ford Rosso Red from my spraygun. Fresh running numbers were HMRS 'Methfix'. Note the cream panels between compartment doors on the corridor partition....

attachicon.gifWEB Coaches 1.jpg

A pair of Bow Enders in the old yard at Carrog Road.....

attachicon.gifWEB Coaches 2.jpg

All I did to the maroon Auto Trailer was weather the chassis and ends, and fit a crew plus some passenger. The seats were repainted red and the floor dark brown to represent lino...

attachicon.gifWEB Coaches 4.jpg

Pictured leaving Carrog for Wrexham....

attachicon.gifWEB Coaches 3.jpg

Photoshopped underframe to match the rusty track. Not sure whether to go for this shade for chassis....

attachicon.gifWEB Coaches 5.jpg

Larry,

Sorry to sound a negative note, but the driver of the autocoach requires the amputation of his feet and ankles - that's the trouble with moulded interiors.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk

Hi Larry; Good to see the Pics and as Martin said, good to see you posting again.

I'm guessing that the double Track section that you mention will be out side on the Garden loop, If that's the case then a great excuse for passing Trains in Carrog.