A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

Please stand by your commitment to stay away from the thread and peddle your irritating discourse elsewhere.

I was rather hoping he would stick around and build a layout so the rest of us could benefit from his modelling wisdom.

Maybe the best I can hope for from trainman 864 will be the odd cameo appearance to spice things up when things get a little dull.

P

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I was rather hoping he would stick around and build a layout so the rest of us could benefit from his modelling wisdom.

Maybe the best I can hope for from trainman 864 will be the odd cameo appearance to spice things up when things get a little dull.

P

I have to disagree there, PM Old Boy.

I never liked tripe.

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Gordon Bennett, what a lot of old bolleaux. Our hobby is for enjoyment not endless carping and nit picking. Life is too short for all this crap.

For goodness sake some people need to get out more.

Lets get back to the delightful prospect of many superb cameo layouts, not all the whys and wherefores of who's involved in the organization.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I should be shocked and stunned at all the recent nonsense but unfortunately it's just another thread where there's somebody who doesn't know (despite very strong hints from everyone else) when to drop an argument and just play nicely.

I do think it's absolutely shocking however that engineering tolerances have been overlooked in the rules. What if I accidentally build a layout that ends up 2001mm long. Perhaps the think to do would be to deliberately build one that long. Would then be a great excuse to bang on incessantly about either:

a. Being a rebel and getting away with it, or

b. The unfairness of the evil empire who have deliberately set out to upset me (if the infringement is caught)

I often think people forget that this is a railway modelling/interest website and somewhere to share knowledge and have a bit of fun/banter along the way. There's other places like facebook and twitter etc if you want to be an idiot or argue with everyone (and Trump is a great role model in that respect).

So my plan tonight is to draw up a 2001mm long scheme (evil laugh....)

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

"So my plan tonight is to draw up a 2001mm long scheme (evil laugh....)"

Will you be allowing for the expansion and contraction caused by variable temperatures and humidity in exhibition venues....??? :)

Edited by Gilbert

• RMweb Premium

"So my plan tonight is to draw up a 2001mm long scheme (evil laugh....)"

Will you be allowing for the expansion and contraction caused by variable temperatures and humidity in exhibition venues....??? :)

Good point, something else the evil empire has overlooked. What a complete shambles.

(All in jest)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I do think it's absolutely shocking however that engineering tolerances have been overlooked in the rules. What if I accidentally build a layout that ends up 2001mm long. Perhaps the think to do would be to deliberately build one that long.

)

It's ok this is his ruler ;)

post-6968-0-21863500-1502958446.jpg

Don't forget though that others will insist it's measured with a micrometer so don't forget to take the paint thickness into account and brush off the cake crumbs on the end.

I have to disagree there, PM Old Boy.

HOW DARE EWE!     No problem my little lamb. You have the right to disagree without fear of subjugation, persecution, vilification  or ridicule.  :wink_mini:

I never liked tripe.

He might know his onions? Regardless of his manner bringing tears to ones eyes.

Boxfiles - they all ought to be in boxfiles.

Hrumph.

Cheat. I spose you could then legitimately build scale representation of Paddington?

post-508-0-27675800-1502962334.jpg

P

(who doesn't mind the odd ungulate).

• RMweb Gold

Boxfiles - they all ought to be in boxfiles.

Hrumph.

Mine is...........ish........it's a box......sort of....Does this count?

Rob

post-14122-0-91670800-1502963345_thumb.jpg

Edited by nhy581
  • Like 10

Is that an AGW 'double' controller?  I've got a couple of the 'single' ones and they are excellent.  Not seen a double one before.

For those of us of a more traditional outlook on model railway electrics that is.

I like the layout presentation BTW!

Mine is...........ish........it's a box......sort of....Does this count?

Mine...has ambitions to be a box. Progress is slow. Lack of progress is blamed on tea & biscuits.

post-508-0-89584200-1502968858.jpg

Even slower progress on rolling stock and the solitary prime mover.

post-508-0-54878500-1502968761.jpg

Nice controller though...

P

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

With respect Jerry, I think you may be missing something here - welcome to the world of obscure publishing ethics.

If you were to look beyond the great world of the RMWeb you might just come across a tiny fringe forum known as 'Western Thunder' where you would see that 'Not Jeremy' -  aka 'Simon' -  is a moderator. That priviledged position has allowed him to negotiate a whole section where he is promoting his competition as the  MRJ Cameo Competition

http://www.westernthunder.co.uk/index.php?threads/welcome-to-the-mrj-cameo-competition.5996/

Presumably he is unable to do that on this forum as the MRJ could be seen as a rival publication to the BRM Magazine. So he has tried to distance himself on here - somewhat unsuccessfully -  from the MRJ.

How irritating that I was busy yesterday evening and during the day today and now the entertainment is all but over.

Those that know me will know that I myself have my moments, but really, what pedantic rubbish!

Trøll or Aresøl? Both, I'd say.

• RMweb Premium

How irritating that I was busy yesterday evening and during the day today and now the entertainment is all but over.

Those that know me will know that I myself have my moments, but really, what pedantic rubbish!

Trøll or Aresøl? Both, I'd say.

That's the problem with spending too long in the bath old fruit.

I'm finding some of the comments about this competition a bit wearing.  Some people seem to have started at the maximum size and pushed for more. Surely part of the enjoyment is in trying to produce a layout that meets the operational and visual criteria, well within the size limit. Then you've got a bit of slack, if reality doesn't match the plan. If the maximum is 2m, try and do it in 1.5m! My layout Aldeburgh Wharf was allowed in, despite being 5" too long, because it was gauge 3 (and it would have been very difficult to chop off those 5 inches). But I have entered two gauge 3 layouts; the second one uses my existing working diorama Lea Siding(featured in this month's BRM) but may supercede  it completely. The scenic section is four feet long, with a four foot long fiddle yard area, and a two feet long traverser to allow loco run round at the other end.

Ideally it would be a Suffolk branch line with a BR railbus and a J15, but it is extremely unlikely I could get those built in time, so it will probably be based on the Wisbech and Upwell in pre grouping days, with a one car passenger service. 

This project will be much easier than a 2mm layout in the same space, because I can draw the viewer's eye to the tiny details, in 2mm you've got a whole landscape to get right.

post-21656-0-91715700-1503001480_thumb.jpgpost-21656-0-72512300-1503001481_thumb.jpg

And this is the current Lea Siding.

post-21656-0-18235700-1503002654_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Words cannot convey how disappointed I am that no-one, not one single person, flagged this easy target up on a day when I really needed to use my voodoo doll.

It will be, forever, one of life's missed opportunities.

Compliments of the day to any notorious publishers, book shop owners, authors, customers of the aforementioned shop, forum moderators, guest editors and other subversives from the bottom left corner of the kingdom who may, for legal reasons, be considered in both singular or plural form in relation to their occupations.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Compliments of the day to any notorious publishers, book shop owners, authors, customers of the aforementioned shop, forum moderators, guest editors and other subversives from the bottom left corner of the kingdom who may, for legal reasons, be considered in both singular or plural form in relation to their occupations.

Ah, the Axis of Evil...

• Like 2

I'm finding some of the comments about this competition a bit wearing.  Some people seem to have started at the maximum size and pushed for more. Surely part of the enjoyment is in trying to produce a layout that meets the operational and visual criteria, well within the size limit. Then you've got a bit of slack, if reality doesn't match the plan. If the maximum is 2m, try and do it in 1.5m!

There are ways to push the boundaries without making it oversize! I have a couple in mind :).

I've just increased the baseboard size for my soon to be entered plan to 6'6" x 2'6" (including fiddle yard), and I'm not sure if I can actually make it that big! I have a good reason for doing it, as I could add an interesting extra feature. It might end up back at the original 4'6" x 1'6"!

• RMweb Gold

Is that an AGW 'double' controller?  I've got a couple of the 'single' ones and they are excellent.  Not seen a double one before.

For those of us of a more traditional outlook on model railway electrics that is.

I like the layout presentation BTW!

Thank you. Based on an IKEA table top.

Hi Rob

What are the dimensions of your layout?

Cheers,

Hi. The baseboard is a table top. Its 1200mm x 400mm x 50mm.Cost £24.00 Then its boxed in with MDF cut to size. Illumination is by way of an LED strip light from LIDL for £5.99.

Rob.

• Like 1

As it looks like my membership of this "axis of evil" is the cause of my hair loss I'm off to buy a big black revolving chair and a hairless cat. Now how do you fit a "Giant Lazor" to a layout?

Marc