Peco Bullhead Points: in the flesh

AJ427

• RMweb Premium

C&L type of rail joiner pictured here: they do fit the Peco track, and are insulating.

post-25458-0-88806200-1510669097_thumb.jpg

post-25458-0-22677900-1510669119_thumb.jpg

Again you can see the slightly different gauge between C&L track and the Peco point, I work around this by flaring the rails slightly near the join.  I'm currently using up some of the C&L track I already have:  as others have shown, if you use Peco flexitrack, the gauge is consistent with their points.

Phil

• Like 2

Well this is a thread about the new Peco bullhead points, so by definition from previous threads, it's largely going to be a fact free zone. In addition to colour of sleepers, you can add profitability, availability and non existent London Exhibitions and that's just the last 24hrs...

I'm pleased to see PMP back from the wilderness, otherwise known as Blogland (or other fora). I bought a pair of these new bullhead points to try, at the South-West London show on Saturday, they look very good, lovely point blades, however the skewed sleepers at the frog end could have been avoided. Fine for turn of the century layouts, and any sidings then or now, but a bit odd for any post-Grouping (1923 onwards) main line junctions, where the point timbers would normally be at 90 degrees to the straight route stock rail, although i'm sure you'll find odd exceptions here and there. The Peco timbers are moulded solid and fixed on hard, so cannot be altered without a major rebuild, which would be a nonsense, might as well build the whole thing if it bothers you.

For finescale modellers, the common-or-garden 3-bolt chairs that Peco have sensibly chosen, are not correct for any GWR-BR/WR layouts, which would need 2-bolt chairs, so Larry Coach will have to only look at the single-bolt side of each chair, if he uses them on Carrog. But then again, who cares, who stares at chair bolts(?), these new points are a major step forward. I wonder how many EM or P4 modellers will secretly sneak back to modelling OO, i've got a foot in both camps, or should that be all three?  

Cheers, Brian.

Edited by Brian Kirby
  • Like 4

I bought a pair of these new bullhead points to try, at the South-West London show on Saturday, they look very good, lovely point blades, however the skewed sleepers at the frog end could have been avoided. Fine for turn of the century layouts, and any sidings then or now, but a bit odd for any post-Grouping (1923 onwards) main line junctions, where the point timbers would normally be at 90 degrees to the straight route stock rail, although i'm sure you'll find odd exceptions here and there. The Peco timbers are moulded solid and fixed on hard, so cannot be altered without a major rebuild, which would be a nonsense, might as well build the whole thing if it bothers you.

In my case, I'm delighted by the skewed sleepers - I'm modelling a pre-grouping branch terminus, although at least I'm not having to worry about the interleaved sleepers on turnouts favoured by companies such as the NBR! However, whether the sleepers would even be visible in my time period is more of a concern - the earlier companies had a predilection for ballasting over the top of the sleepers...

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

But then again, who cares, who stares at chair bolts(?)

I do!

OMG!

I've just realised I chopped the wrong type of chairs (3 bolt standard) to make 'special' chairs... I know I should have used slide chairs.

That's tonight's sleep interrupted!

There's some irony here. It seems that a mega-leap has been taken from underscale FB track with non-representative rail fixings to broadly correct appearance rail, chairs and sleepers/spacing. Now we are discussing individual Company track style....back to hand-built for some no doubt!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There's some irony here. It seems that a mega-leap has been taken from underscale FB track with non-representative rail fixings to broadly correct appearance rail, chairs and sleepers/spacing. Now we are discussing individual Company track style....back to hand-built for some no doubt!

Yep, get it here!

• RMweb Gold

A few cruel close ups. Bear in mind these are straight out of the packet posed on a piece of paper on the carpet but hopefully give an indication of what they might look like in use (edited to add missing pic I'd originally intended to include).

post-32813-0-78736800-1510676610_thumb.jpg

post-32813-0-37681700-1510676652_thumb.jpg

post-32813-0-70726300-1510676671_thumb.jpg

post-32813-0-37370100-1510676687_thumb.jpg

post-32813-0-92967300-1510676818_thumb.jpg

post-32813-0-68257300-1510676833_thumb.jpg

post-32813-0-72566300-1510682369_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sandpiper
  • Like 14

For finescale modellers, the common-or-garden 3-bolt chairs that Peco have sensibly chosen, are not correct for any GWR-BR/WR layouts, which would need 2-bolt chairs, so Larry Coach will have to only look at the single-bolt side of each chair, if he uses them on Carrog. But then again, who cares, who stares at chair bolts(?), these new points are a major step forward. 

I agree but as you say, who will be staring at chairs............... I haven't studied GWR track. I have heard the art of discrimination is not to let the other feller do the discriminating for you, so I content myself by doing things my way in the firm knowledge that things will at least look okay despite compromise. Mind you, some cloud-cuckoolanders will probably chuckle at my surface-mounted Peco point motors....  :smoke:

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

But then again, who cares, who stares at chair bolts(?)

Quite right - once track is laid, ballasted and weathered, and from 'normal viewing distances', who can really tell?

A few cruel close ups. Bear in mind these are straight out of the packet posed on a piece of paper on the carpet but hopefully give an indication of what they might look like in use.

It occurs to me that the gap between the blades and the stock rail is a tad wide, so I might end up replacing the tie bars on mine and closing the gap a little.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm pleased to see PMP back from the wilderness, otherwise known as Blogland (or other fora). I bought a pair of these new bullhead points to try, at the South-West London show on Saturday, they look very good, lovely point blades, however the skewed sleepers at the frog end could have been avoided. Fine for turn of the century layouts, and any sidings then or now, but a bit odd for any post-Grouping (1923 onwards) main line junctions, where the point timbers would normally be at 90 degrees to the straight route stock rail, although i'm sure you'll find odd exceptions here and there. The Peco timbers are moulded solid and fixed on hard, so cannot be altered without a major rebuild, which would be a nonsense, might as well build the whole thing if it bothers you.

For finescale modellers, the common-or-garden 3-bolt chairs that Peco have sensibly chosen, are not correct for any GWR-BR/WR layouts, which would need 2-bolt chairs, so Larry Coach will have to only look at the single-bolt side of each chair, if he uses them on Carrog. But then again, who cares, who stares at chair bolts(?), these new points are a major step forward. I wonder how many EM or P4 modellers will secretly sneak back to modelling OO, i've got a foot in both camps, or should that be all three? BTW, even with DCC, you'll still need insulated rails in a few places (e.g. Crossovers), so you either leave an air gap, or as stated above, use a plastic N gauge joiner/fishplate. 

Cheers, Brian.

Someone that looks at my layout and the finger points and the words begin to flow................meanwhile I'm falling asleep at the controls!

Ar$e

• RMweb Gold

I've wondered if shellac, painted on the rail ends, is an effective insulation agent. Given a good mix with grey paint, and once ballasted, should keep the shorts at bay. If you're worried about the bolt heads on chairs, you should see the keep washers underneath. blessed great things.....*

Ian.

Mind you, I haven't had a chance to play with them yet.*= Only in real life.

BTW, even with DCC, you'll still need insulated rails in a few places (e.g. Crossovers), so you either leave an air gap, or as stated above, use a plastic N gauge joiner/fishplate. 

Cheers, Brian.

Humm, i thought the whole idea of 'Unifrog' was to avoid the need for insulators. Looking at the turnout the insulator is contained within the 'unifrog' section of the turnout.

(Unlike the FB turnout where the frog extends to the end of the turnout thus requiring insulators for a crossover.) 

Edited by tender

Humm, i thought the whole idea of 'Unifrog' was to avoid the need for insulators. Looking at the turnout the insulator is contained within the 'unifrog' section of the turnout.

(Unlike the FB turnout where the frog extends to the end of the turnout thus requiring insulators for a crossover.) 

You are correct.

Well this is a thread about the new Peco bullhead points, so by definition from previous threads, it's largely going to be a fact free zone. In addition to colour of sleepers, you can add profitability, availability and non existent London Exhibitions and that's just the last 24hrs...

You have a problem discussing the colour of a product......in a thread where buyers have just obtained the product and posted photos?

Edited by faa77

• RMweb Premium

You have a problem discussing the colour of a product......in a thread where buyers have just obtained the product and posted photos?

I believe you may have misunderstood PMPs statement. I did at first but then I saw the subtle thinking about how in previous discusions folk got completely distracted by all sorts of daft things. If I'm wrong and PMP is suggesting these points are not good I shall go round to his abode and tell him what for............ :tomato:  :triniti:  :declare:

Phil 

You're right, I stand corrected, the "Unifrog" makes the difference, i'm still thinking of continuous frogs and rails in one piece. With this independent frog section, all other rails can be continuously live DCC and the Unifrogs can be switchably live or dead, but for analogue DC you'd still need to insulate the middle of a crossover, as you also would for DCC using live points without independent frogs.   BK 

Edited by Brian Kirby

I agree. I don't see why a DCC user will need insulated rail joiners for a normal point.

This may be different if/when crossings & slips become available but Peco may be working on this.

It was mentioned earlier that you will need them if you want to split the layout into power districts.

Unifrogs can be switchably live or dead, but for analogue DC you'd still need to insulate

I have got into the habit of insulating with DC. It is all very well feeding a siding from a point but you will be relying on a point blade for the whole siding :stinker: .

Isolating & re-feeding gets around this weak spot.

It also simplifies any troubleshooting. I had to untangle someone's feeding problems recently & it was a massive headache.

It puts the operator in control too because you can creep a loco along a siding without having to set the road for it to leave, then you can isolate with a switch.