Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hills of the North - The Last Great Project

LNER4479

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I would replace those screw in chassis cross members if I were you mate. They were never a good idea to start with 100% soldered construction is always the best way to go.

Regards Lez.

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

It goes!

(sorry it's a bit short. Circa 4 seconds uploaded at 9.8MB so just scraped in under the limit without having to upload to YouTube!)

Connecting rods next, methinks ...

Can't see the video I'm afraid.

• Agree 3

15 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Take care with the number for this, these locos had two distinctly different riveting patterns for the tanks.

IIRC it was those built at Brighton that had a different pattern of rivets.

Alan

• RMweb Gold

My objection to those screw in cross members isn't about aesthetics. My objection is they aren't the best way to build a square true chassis. Although the screwheads were very ugly, my objection is engineering philosophy based. 

Regards Lez. 

• Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, 03060 said:

Photo by Peter Sedge / FG Steinle taken on Manningham shed 31 Oct 1965.

http://lostrailwayswestyorkshire.co.uk/images/donations/Marknealebantam@aol.com/Shipley Skipton/shipley23.jpg

Thanks - that's a great photo for detailing.

It's so long ago I can't be certain but I'm trying to convince myself that I saw a photo of the loco actually on the 'Bonniface' working; that's what would have put me on to it as a loco choice in the first place. That's my usual modus operandi when choosing loco identities. But I'm blowed if I can find it just at the moment?

I think I'll stick with 42093 as an identity and hope the photo resurfaces!

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Yes, Graham

I fully understand your reluctance to have 9Fs on the WCML, since as you rightly say, they were rare birds before 1960. Most freights seemed to be handled by 8Fs, Super Ds or (fast fitteds) Black 5s. I had a similar problem on my layout Hest Bank, so I only have a couple of 9Fs which rarely appear. HOWEVER! In my reference bible "West Coast Steam" there is a picture of 92008 heading north through Hest dated 1954. Enough for me to have an occasional appearance of a 9F.

Having said that, I have a number of old Hornby Dublo 8Fs (early ones with half inch motors) which, after scale wheeling and a few other mods, happily haul the longest freights that Hest can handle, about 45-50 wagons, and that's a task which tax the Bachmann or Hornby 9Fs. Not bad for models now more than 60 years of age!

It's as much about hefty diecast bodies/chassis as anything.

Terry

• Like 4

RL,

There is a picture taken in 1959 of a 9F on S&C line in Bradford and Barton book on Skipton -Carlisle with a goods train with a great mixture of wagons. Let me know if you want more details.

Tom

Yes, that's 92167, one of the 3 stoker fitted examples. They were initially allocated to Saltley depot (from 1958) for use on the 'famous' through fitted goods service from Washwood Heath to Carlisle via the S&C, a long standing ex-MR institution. That was always Saltley's 'top link' job, the crews lodging at Carlisle. It was Black 5s, prior to that date. I was aware of the use of 9Fs on this service but again, a late 1950s scenario.

Otherwise, I've been checking the intial allocation of 9Fs to the LMR, as per the lists in the Xpress Locomotive Register book (quicker than checking each one individually on BR Database). They comment - and it's quite evident from the lists - that the LMR didn't have a pressing need for such a loco (initially at least); their most immediate impact was to see off the LMS Garratts from the MR London coal train workings, with many of the initial allocations to Toton and Wellingborough. No 1950s allocations at all to any WCML depots. So, other than the above, there's little justification for one on my scheme, as I suspected (and as Terry refers to above). We do use them on the 1960s phase of Shap exhibition layout, however.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Yes, that's 92167, one of the 3 stoker fitted examples. They were initially allocated to Saltley depot (from 1958) for use on the 'famous' through fitted goods service from Washwood Heath to Carlisle via the S&C, a long standing ex-MR institution. That was always Saltley's 'top link' job, the crews lodging at Carlisle. It was Black 5s, prior to that date. I was aware of the use of 9Fs on this service but again, a late 1950s scenario.

Otherwise, I've been checking the intial allocation of 9Fs to the LMR, as per the lists in the Xpress Locomotive Register book (quicker than checking each one individually on BR Database). They comment - and it's quite evident from the lists - that the LMR didn't have a pressing need for such a loco (initially at least); their most immediate impact was to see off the LMS Garratts from the MR London coal train workings, with many of the initial allocations to Toton and Wellingborough. No 1950s allocations at all to any WCML depots. So, other than the above, there's little justification for one on my scheme, as I suspected (and as Terry refers to above). We do use them on the 1960s phase of Shap exhibition layout, however.

Seems 92023 (a Crosti) and 92050 were allocated (for a month) to Kingmoor in 1955. There were there for tests - no clue what tests though.

Edit to add - the RCTS book on the 9F's says 92015-7 and 92161/2 were allocated to Newton Heath in June 58 and used on fitted freights from Manchester to Carlisle via the Settle and Carlisle route.

Rob

Edited by 30851
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2