Hornby 2018 Announcements

cal.n

• RMweb Gold

Southern Maunsell Green Radial.

Peckett 060ST.

King Arthur Malachite green with BR number...

Another run of the Arthurs with water cart tender.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh, I forgot, and without upsetting anyone................a range of catering cars please, from further Mk1s, through some decent GWR, LNER (revamped Gresley shape please)  and LMS Diagrams and finally, 2 SR Maunsell Diagrams. Presumably Baccy may well do a Bulleid Restaurant Car eventually? (2019?)

Livin Hope

Edited by Mallard60022

HSTs remaining with GW, as I understand it, are to be reformed as 2+5 for services between Plymouth and Cardiff after the 800s take over the Pads and these will presumably receive similar refits. 

John

There are to be a total of 11 HST 'GTi' sets based at Laira, mainly for services between Penzance and Plymouth. The majority of Taunton and Cardiff services are to be made of Class 166s (having started in anger this Jan). Some GTis shall form the Penzance to Exeter St Davids or Cardiff and Taunton services. They are a 'stop' gap measure until sufficient class 158s are released from the Portsmouth and Cardiff services. 

Seeing they are receiving Vapor Rail sliding doors, Hornby do not have the tooling. But, Oxford Rail has hinted they would be tooling for all Mk3 variations :D Interiors shall be brought into line with GWR grey/green. 

Expect the first Mk3 with sliding doors to make an appearance 'in the coming weeks' out of Doncaster. 

I'm a 'younger modeller' (22), but I buy and run what I like, so I have everything from a Mehano TGV to a Javelin, Eurostar and (full-length) HST to three A4s, Tornado, Clan Line, Exeter and a load more.

Looking forward to seeing what comes out tomorrow - I've had a few steers, as I write for the Collector's Club mag - but it is always nice to see the reaction once embargos lift...

Edited by IamDaniel
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

There are to be a total of 11 HST 'GTi' sets based at Laira, mainly for services between Penzance and Plymouth. The majority of Taunton and Cardiff services are to be made of Class 166s (having started in anger this Jan). Some GTis shall form the Penzance to Exeter St Davids or Cardiff and Taunton services. They are a 'stop' gap measure until sufficient class 158s are released from the Portsmouth and Cardiff services. 

Seeing they are receiving Vapor Rail sliding doors, Hornby do not have the tooling. But, Oxford Rail has hinted they would be tooling for all Mk3 variations :D Interiors shall be brought into line with GWR grey/green. 

Expect the first Mk3 with sliding doors to make an appearance 'in the coming weeks' out of Doncaster. 

Running HSTs on Cornish stoppers seems a waste.

Given the permitted speeds in the Duchy and the differing acceleration characteristics of the two kinds of traction, GW could almost certainly run a faster service using the 166s or 158s down west.

That would release HSTs for use on bits of line where they can stretch their legs more.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Was there ever an early emblem 28xx or 2884 which wasn't weathered? I have looked through my catalogues and on the web, and I can't find one! Surely a few more of each of these classes would be worthwhile, as there was only a few examples of each type to start with with, and non since! 

Edited by MatthewCarty

Southern Maunsell Green Radial.

Peckett 060ST.

King Arthur Malachite green with BR number...

Another run of the Arthurs with water cart tender.....

aw well as a Urie LSWR liveried Radial for me please.

Edited by Anglian

I'm a 'younger modeller' (22), but I buy and run what I like, so I have everything from a Mehano TGV to a Javelin, Eurostar and (full-length) HST to three A4s, Tornado, Clan Line, Exeter and a load more.

Looking forward to seeing what comes out tomorrow - I've had a few steers, as I write for the Collector's Club mag - but it is always nice to see the reaction once embargos lift...

Nice to see someone else within the age bracket (24 here).

Just need to find a big enough house to build my own layout, but living here in London, that probably won't happen for at least another 3 decades.

• Like 1

I've seen what's coming, and not being allowed to talk about it can be a right b*gger sometimes!

Given the permitted speeds in the Duchy and the differing acceleration characteristics of the two kinds of traction, GW could almost certainly run a faster service using the 166s or 158s down west.

That would release HSTs for use on bits of line where they can stretch their legs more.

John

Until it got to the first bit where the 166s dont fit!

There arent enough 165/166s being transferred to cover the routes around Bristol hence the retention of the 158s up there, so where do you get the 158s to run in Kernow?

Given the choice GWR would rather use 158s on the service, in fact that was option 1 until the cascade went base over apex, all this information is freely available with a 10 second google search!

Where do you intend to run the 2+4 (not 2+5) HST sets so they can stretch their legs, they are not allowed over part of the route to Portsmouth so dont bother mentioning that one!

Havent we done all this several times previously?

Edited by royaloak

If the reports of build 'quality' are as bad as I am hearing it will be going straight back to Doncaster to be done properly, using a rubber gasket where a weld is specified is one example, yes I am being serious!

Just need to find a big enough house to build my own layout, but living here in London, that probably won't happen for at least another 3 decades.

are you n gauge by any chance? If so, there are smaller gauges available for London broom closet houses. Now, Where’s my hat?

Alas, I'm in the same boat as you. My layout is in my parents' house - the advantage of being freelance is that I get to use my model railway while I work, though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Grrrrrrrrrrrr! Philistine.

I quite like the 1134 class panniers with their bits whizzing around the outside frames. I suppose a 1901 class looks cute as it is a smaller loco. Then there are the 322's with their curved outside frames. The prettiest GWR 0-6-0 tank was the non condensing 633 class but they weren't pannier tanks.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

John

Indeed, they do have their wings clipped. But a 2 + 4 formation is restricted to 100 mph - for the services they shall be on, this shall be more than satisfactory. (DfT has not allowed the leasing of an additional coach to make the 11 sets 2 + 5 and thus 125 mph). Remember from December 2018, Cornwall services between Plymouth and Penzance are going every half hour. Hence the need for the HST GTi's in the short term.

The 165/166s heading west, are all required (18 diagrams) in the Bristol area. The 165/166s start to take over the 158s in May 2018 on the Portsmouth/Cardiff, but full change over not until electrification is complete in CP6. 

They are a stop gap measure until there are sufficient class 158s to run the services. (of course, stop gap now means at least till 2022)

There is a list of the 43s staying, inc. all of those already painted into GWR. (and 43002). They certainly would make a good model, if Oxford and Hornby are now, indeed working in partnership. 

Edited by 159220