RMweb

Bachmann 2018 range

bendax2018

Ah ha, the voice of reason and yet, complete insanity. That's how this thread should be, unlike the Red Box thread where a load of young people have just got out of bed and started political unrest and even using the words Train Station.. By gad sirs, what is the Country coming to?

A.R. Swipe

You sound amongst other things....really put out, offended even because a younger member uses the words train station.  I'll just leave that thought there.......

With SLW in market, It's unlikely Bachmann will now produce a 24/1,  the 158 retool should arrive at some point in the future..................

I don't think SLW actually produce a Class 24/1 so Bachmann may go ahead with theirs

• RMweb Premium

Guaranteed there will be more of:

Class 37 re-liveries

Class 47 re-liveries

Class 57 re-liveries

Class 66 re-liveries

Zzzzzz... :wacko:

Excellent, I’d love some more 37s and 47s in other liveries.

• Like 1

I think I remember reading that Bachmann were going to start announcing products when they were further down the development stages than they do currently (i.e. A twinkle in the development teams eye)!

Or I have dreamt it bit like that dream about 3 ghosts on Christmas Eve- that was creepy!

Happy new year

Mark

My son is interested in modelling German railways, and one area where the German modeller is very well served is model buildings kits. The products of Faller, Kibri, etc are many and varied and, in some cases, veritable works of art that I would happily have on my mantlepiece, let alone on a model railway.

The UK has a rich architectural heritage, and I really wish there was a UK equivalent of Faller to make use of it. Instead, Hornby seem to have offloaded their small range of kits to Gaugemaster. Maybe Bachmann could enter the market, now that the prices of the ready-to-plant resin buildings are so high? Anyway, building a kit is much more fun than just opening a box!

Edited by locoholic
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

My son is interested in modelling German railways, and one area where the German modeller is very well served is model buildings kits. The products of Faller, Kibri, etc are many and varied and, in some cases, veritable works of art that I would happily have on my mantlepiece, let alone on a model railway.

The UK has a rich architectural heritage, and I really wish there was a UK equivalent of Faller to make use of it. Instead, Hornby seem to have offloaded their small range of kits to Gaugemaster. Maybe Bachmann could enter the market, now that the prices of the ready-to-plant resin buildings are so high? Anyway, building a kit is much more fun than just opening a box!

Buildings are an ideal way into scratch-building, too.

You can start with very few tools, the materials don't cost much and you can start with small simple models, working up to bigger, more complex ones as your skills develop.  

Best of all, you aren't under the pressure, right from the start, of having to make something that works.

A good way to start is to use one of the paper kits sometimes printed in the magazines as a basis for scratch-building in plastic sheet, it can act as your plan and also provides a guide to how a building goes together.

John  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You sound amongst other things....really put out, offended even because a younger member uses the words train station.  I'll just leave that thought there.......

Thank you for leaving that thought there......I shall do the same...........................except to say....................

Happy New Year to you.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Just been looking at the map, and I can't find anywhere called Pen-Yr-Darren between Stockton and Darlington. Was it near Bishop Auckland?  :jester:

You need to look a bit further down the map, all the way to Camborne, methinks.

Just imagine, from Richard Trevithick's  locomotive, to a Great Western 'Star', all inside 100 years....

That said, the first & last Great Western locomotives were all Stephenson locomotives.

• Like 1

Hopefully the SLW class 24/1 will be produced shortly... if a few more people signed up/voted for the model then it’ll be produced very soon...

http://sulzertype2.co.uk/page.php?p=vote-03b

Hopefully the link above works....

For those that don’t already have one, there is no comparison between the current Bachmann models and the SLlW one... they are miles apart in every respect....

Hopefully the SLW class 24/1 will be produced shortly... if a few more people signed up/voted for the model then it’ll be produced very soon...

http://sulzertype2.co.uk/page.php?p=vote-03b

Hopefully the link above works....

For those that don’t already have one, there is no comparison between the current Bachmann models and the SLlW one... they are miles apart in every respect....

There are comparisons to be made. Non of them are accurate enough to be considered a scale model, but can be thought of as representative of the prototype. In price the SLW product is very much more than its competitors and lastly non of the three manufacturers have shown the slightest intention to correct the faults their products have.

That may be so. But they are different markets. If you ask the majority of people who purchase Bachmann and Hornby very few would have even heard of SLW.

But if you ask the majority of people who purchase Hornby, very few would have even heard of Bachmann.

So what?

My guess is that for most RMwebbers, the super-detailed SLW would be preferable to the Bachmann.

Paul

• RMweb Premium

I think that's putting it much too strongly. I have one of each, and while the SLW model is noticeably better, the Bachmann version is still an excellent model. 

That may be so. But they are different markets. If you ask the majority of people who purchase Bachmann and Hornby very few would have even heard of SLW.

Jason

I have  heard  of  them  and  purchased from  them  and  very  nice  they  are too. Still run  the  Bachmann ones  though as  well

It  is  very  true  though  many modellers  I  know   have  totally  no idea  of the  existence  of  many  of  the  minor  manufacturers  such  as  SLW,  Little Loco works  etc.  

It  is  a  difficult situation  for  the  small suppliers  advertising  is  expensive  and  eats  heavily  into  profits,  so  if  modellers  don't  use  websites  like  RMWeb etc  it  is  hard  to  get  the  message  across.

Back in  the  late  60s  when  N  gauge UK modelling  was  born!  there  was  a small  advert  in  the  RM  1/8 page, for  \ a company called  Jamie  Micro Traction (or something  like  that).

It  advertised  a soon to be  available GWR 2-6-2T in  N  Gauge,  the  ad  appeared  for 3 months or so  then all went  quiet,  I telephoned  the number in the  ad eventually to  find  out  what the situation was, only to be  told  the project could not  continue  due to  lack  of  capital  which meant  no more  ads  could  be afforded.

Edited by Stevelewis

But if you ask the majority of people who purchase Hornby, very few would have even heard of Bachmann.

So what?

My guess is that for most RMwebbers, the super-detailed SLW would be preferable to the Bachmann.

Paul

So why should Bachmann not make their model if nobody outside of a few "in the know" has even heard of the competition?

Jason

Guest Q663389

Hornby Q6 has a late version Boiler and oil drive neither much good for NER.

A sandwich type front buffer beam as fitted to the first 50 not to mention the high sided tender would be nice.

Alan

• Like 1

Only 1 week to go now until Bachmann announce another run of BR Blue split box 37 without skirts (ala 37049), a 40122 (D200) in green, a BR blue 47 with headlight and at long last a sealed beam 45/0 and 45/1 with headlight..... or I can carry on dreaming.

I think another livery 101 (Strathclyde orange or Regi Rail) might be done.

• Like 3

Only 1 week to go now until Bachmann announce another run of BR Blue split box 37 without skirts (ala 37049), a 40122 (D200) in green, a BR blue 47 with headlight and at long last a sealed beam 45/0 and 45/1 with headlight..... or I can carry on dreaming.

I think another livery 101 (Strathclyde orange or Regi Rail) might be done.

45/0 and 45/1 with headlight....and RR 101....YES PLEASE :-)