Sign the petition for a Gloucester C&W Museum

Captain Kernow

• RMweb Premium

Done, it would be good for the city of my birth.

You too? I was born in the City Hospital, almost overlooking Horton Road Shed.

I'm not convinced that it would be a good idea to increase all traffic across Horton Road level crossing.

I remember Barton Street. Now that was a level crossing.

• Like 1

Ive signed too. Was pleasing to watch the number of signatures tick up as the website refreshed!

How busy is the Network Rail route from Cheltenham to Gloucester? Would it be possible for heritage trains to run from the GWSR to Gloucester or is that impractical? the ever reliable Wikipedia seems to suggest this is not beyod the realms of possibility.

David

• Like 1

:good: done.

Could I tactfully suggest to our Captain that the thread Title might be edited to include a bit about signing the petition? I saw this thread a few days ago, but not realising it's significance, didn't read it until just a few minutes ago.

Signature count now stands at 1302; maybe a higher profile via the Title here might help it pass the required 1500 mark? ;)

Edited by F-UnitMad

• RMweb Gold

Could I tactfully suggest to our Captain that the thread Title might be edited to include a bit about signing the petition? I saw this thread a few days ago, but not realising it's significance, didn't read it until just a few minutes ago.

Signature count now stands at 1302; maybe a higher profile via the Title here might help it pass the required 1500 mark? ;)

Great suggestion, Jordan, and many thanks for that, the title has now been amended!

I have no connection with this project, other than having been asked to highlight it by a friend who lives in the area.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

How busy is the Network Rail route from Cheltenham to Gloucester? Would it be possible for heritage trains to run from the GWSR to Gloucester or is that impractical? the ever reliable Wikipedia seems to suggest this is not beyod the realms of possibility.

The route is relatively busy, but it may be possible to find paths.

Interestingly, there was a consultant's report produced a few years ago, with some initial Network Rail input (although that later evaporated when the Consultant concerned somehow upset one or more of the grown-ups in Swindon), which covered the suggestion of two south-facing bay platforms at Cheltenham station, for terminating HSTs/IEPs etc. Nothing ever came of it, of course, but the plans showed a lovely glass roof etc., which would have been a real architectural enhancement to Lansdown station.

The same consultant, when I met him, also expressed a view on the GWSR. He felt that reinstating the old route through Cheltenham would be too expensive and politically difficult these days, but that a new connection off the main line to the north of Cheltenham, and running across the fields to Cheltenham Racecourse (ie. the southern end of Huntingbutts Tunnel) might work. It would be extremely expensive, of course, but the topography is pretty benign at that location, so who knows?