Bachmann Class 25 retool announced 2018

Phil Bullock

So just ordered 057 with sound, I am tempted by 085 as well but I think I would have to sell my latest run Heljen 25 to justify it and I'm not sure the overall extra cost would be worth it. A pair by the same manufacturer does kind of appeal, although the fact they have different body styles hopefully Heljen 25 301 will look OK with 057.

Looking at the derbysulzers website, the combination of dual brakes and central front-end lamp iron in the higher position on 25057 does limit the renumbering possibilities without a bit of surgery to the front. Otherwise, they are really nice looking locos.

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Max Legroom said:

Looking at the derbysulzers website, the combination of dual brakes and central front-end lamp iron in the higher position on 25057 does limit the renumbering possibilities without a bit of surgery to the front. Otherwise, they are really nice looking locos.

Touch wood Bachmann are using the same yellow as they have used on many of their other recent diesels which is a perfect match for Phoenix Precision P134 BR Signal/Warning yellow. Normally the underlying plastic is black, so a white undercoat is needed if you carve any details off. Build up the white in thin coats sanding with fine wet and dry (600 grit or less) then do the same with the yellow. Take your time and you can get a great result with a brush. Thin the paint as you see fit. I’d estimate a total of 8 or 10 thin coats of undercoat moving over to top coat does the job.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, 97406 said:

Touch wood Bachmann are using the same yellow as they have used on many of their other recent diesels which is a perfect match for Phoenix Precision P134 BR Signal/Warning yellow. Normally the underlying plastic is black, so a white undercoat is needed if you carve any details off. Build up the white in thin coats sanding with fine wet and dry (600 grit or less) then do the same with the yellow. Take your time and you can get a great result with a brush. Thin the paint as you see fit. I’d estimate a total of 8 or 10 thin coats of undercoat moving over to top coat does the job.

I recall doing similar to a Hornby 25 in the early 80s and a Bachmann 25 in the early 2000s. Maybe it's a twenty-year thing!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, Max Legroom said:

I recall doing similar to a Hornby 25 in the early 80s and a Bachmann 25 in the early 2000s. Maybe it's a twenty-year thing!

The great thing is you only need to touch up the bits that need touching up after the detail is removed and you can blend it into the existing paint. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 02/05/2024 at 00:12, MidlandRed said:

To be strictly accurate D7660 was unique (although D5026 was painted like this but with black buffer beams (I think…..)). I guess you’re referring to D7661 - which had four arrows (cab sides) and four sets of inboard numbers and I think, black buffer beams - effectively as per D7662-77 but with syp - so subtly different from D7660 - a livery it retained until at least 1969. Derby Sulzers is a little ambiguous on when most of this batch were repainted into standard blue fye layouts with central arrows etc. 

Yes I did mean D7661 was the other one  in BSYP livery, though I must admit I had not clocked all the differences before. Both D7660 and D7661 were BFYE by June 1970.

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p870790610/h99ea5443#h99ea5443

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p870790610/h9e305d36#h9e305d36

• Informative/Useful 1

One fact I am surprised at regarding the new Bachmann class 25s is the lack of a "Scottish"  loco - in other words one with the loco number beyond the cab door. Quite a number  of class 25s were overhauled and repainted in Glasgow - either the home region locos or others.  An example is 25034 which had cabside numbers until 1978 when it went into St Rollox for overhaul between March and June, and retained the bodyside numbers for the rest of it's career.  The other bodyside air filter locos with "St Rollox" numbers were 25035 25037 25044 25046 25049-25050 25059 25062 25064-25066 25068 25072 25075-25076 25078-25079 25226-25235 25237-25241 25244 25246 25248.

This probably allows options for special commissions I imagine

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Given the sheer number of differences within the class, compounded by the changes that happened to them over their lifetimes, you will get a tiny cross section in a release covering 10 or so different examples from the entire life of the class.

With the first release you can model pretty much any class member with varying  degrees of modelling. I appreciate the pre TOPS blue period is neglected in general, and the early body style pre tops blue would need a paint job. In general though, many possibilities exist with a simple renumbering, after a visit to Derby Sulzers or Flickr.

I really want a blue early body style with no lamp brackets and clips on the plated over doors, TOPS number and dominoes but I’ll remove/add those details/renumber it depending if I decide not to keep it as 25057 when it’s sat on my layout. It will get dominoes whatever. 

Infinite diversity through infinite combinations.

Edited by 97406
Chopped up the world’s longest sentence!
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, 97406 said:

I really want a blue early body style with no lamp brackets and clips on the plated over doors, TOPS number and dominoes but I’ll remove/add those details/renumber it depending if I decide not to keep it as 25057 when it’s sat on my layout. It will get dominoes whatever. 

SLW have you covered with 25042 (Vac Brake) and 25244 (Dual Brake).

Cameron

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Mophead45143 said:

SLW have you covered with 25042 (Vac Brake) and 25244 (Dual Brake).

Cameron

I have 244 on order as it happens come to think of it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'm personally hoping that at some point they will also announce a model of no: 25059, preferably in its preserved form: 

Edited by Richard RK3
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

My take on a Bachmann D7660, but at the other end of its life! Last year I combined an early Class 25/3 chassis with an as-new D5211 body from Elaine's Trains plus matching underframe from EKMexhibitions to create a model of Scottish D7579. This left me with a spare 25/3 body and underframe - what to do with these? Easy (!?) - combine with a set of Class 25 bogie sideframes left over from a Bachmann-powered Hornby Class 29 project, and a pair of old Hornby B4 bogies with the sideframe detail brutally filed down until the pinpoints showed through and fitted with Hornby 14mm wheels to create an ETHEL! ETHEL 1 (ex-D7660/25310) was selected as the paint job was easier than the other two, and a boiler compartment grille/blank swap with D7579 put both models right. Transfers from RailTec. It still needs spray varnishing (roll on the summer!) before the glazing, 'domino' headcodes and cab door handrails can be refitted.

20240503_222833.jpg.94ac0fc7cae3f88fa631dbe9f594c9a2.jpg

20240503_223320.jpg.b04d42ae8859253cbd90537a8b67e20d.jpg

20240503_223400.jpg.ab64355672da70738941616058c23a50.jpg

Another reason for doing ETHEL 1 was that I had photographed it without having to go all the way to Scotland - actually about 3 miles from home in Wiltshire! Seen outside Swindon Works in August 1984 with fellow Scot 27040 for company:

20240504_000444.jpg.bc1228e13113558f33e0fbb8cbddc2d9.jpg

It's interesting to reflect that D7660 never had its boiler grilles blanked, and that the chances of this one of only two late-style Class 25s to carry blue paint around its cab windscreens at the beginning of its career reacquiring this feature at the end were remote - and yet it happened!I

Anyway, except for D7660 this is wandering off-topic into 'imperfect previous model' territory so I'll 🤐 zip it here!

Edited by Halvarras
Tightened it up a bit (deleted some waffle in other words!)
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Fredo said:

Hi, was D5179 still in BR Green with small yellow warning at the end of 1968, and if not when did it receive a full yellow end? Thanks Fred

I can't answer this question from personal observation - wrong end of the country until it reached the WR in 1970, by which time I'm 99% certain it was blue - and the derbysulzers website can't assist either this time. From its filthy state in mid-1971 and lack of D prefix I'd guess it went blue in 1969, probably early on. It's quite possible that it skipped the green full yellow livery - perhaps somebody out there has the info.......?

• RMweb Premium
On 03/05/2024 at 21:30, Richard RK3 said:

I'm personally hoping that at some point they will also announce a model of no: 25059, preferably in its preserved form: 

The first time I've noticed. Why does 25059 have a headlight on one end only?

3 hours ago, Halvarras said:

I can't answer this question from personal observation - wrong end of the country until it reached the WR in 1970, by which time I'm 99% certain it was blue - and the derbysulzers website can't assist either this time. From its filthy state in mid-1971 and lack of D prefix I'd guess it went blue in 1969, probably early on. It's quite possible that it skipped the green full yellow livery - perhaps somebody out there has the info.......?

BR database website states 08/69 BR blue. No mention if full yellow ends was ever carried. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

The first time I've noticed. Why does 25059 have a headlight on one end only?

It is a preservation era alteration as are its bicolour tail lights which can display whites as well reds. In BR days a 25 would mostly display a single red, and double reds were a later loco modification which few if any 25s had.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Hornby Mag have got an example for review in the next edition - there is a teaser on Facebook and YouTube. Surprised me a little  - wonder if its going to beat the 31 into the shops?

• Moderators

It's in the next BRM too. A positive review with a lot to like although bufferbeam detail fitting and body removal made me go all sweary.

Bachmann Class 25 4 copy.jpg

Bachmann Class 25 7 copy.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Hornby Mag have got an example for review in the next edition - there is a teaser on Facebook and YouTube. Surprised me a little  - wonder if its going to beat the 31 into the shops?

That’ll be a nice little treat if it does. I’ve preordered one from Kernow to be sure.

• RMweb Gold
Just now, AY Mod said:

It's in the next BRM too. A positive review with a lot to like.

Bachmann Class 25 4 copy.jpg

Bachmann Class 25 7 copy.jpg

Can’t wait for them (Rubs thighs)

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

a lot to like although bufferbean detail fitting and body removal made me go all sweary

Same as the 24 then which makes sense. No sign of the 31 for review yet then?

• Moderators
Just now, MikeParkin65 said:

No sign of the 31 for review yet then?

Not yet and no specific indication given.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

What would be interesting is a review comparing the Bachmann 25 side by side with the Heljan and SLW 25s. Which is best? Theres only one way to find out!

image.png.6a2d520c5f4320ad9738649e3afe723d.png

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, JohnR said:

What would be interesting is a review comparing the Bachmann 25 side by side with the Heljan and SLW 25s. Which is best? Theres only one way to find out!

image.png.6a2d520c5f4320ad9738649e3afe723d.png

I’ll have all 3. The Heljan 25 certainly stands up well alongside the new Bachmann 24.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1