Coopercraft Kits

Ken A.

• RMweb Premium

I believe , like Ian Kirk, that I am aware of where the other machine is..and, if he wanted to "buy a new machine" perhaps he should try buying that as it isn't used a lot at the moment.

It looks like major kite flying going on..he could have tried subcontracting some of the mouldings but..hey ho!

baz

I didn't know Powsides had a stash of D299s and D305s. I'd just expected the various PO wagons as that's their raison d'etre. 

I think that's because those two are the closest you can get for some of the wagons that the transfers available are based on. Especially the 3 plank. They may not be 100% accurate for the original PO wagons, but they will do for many of us.

Jason

• RMweb Premium

Ok but are the other 4mm wagons available?

Not yet, but rumour is that Slaters themselves will be selling them again this year. I've yet to see anything official from Slaters to confirm this.

Some people have more money than sense.

Stupid, irritating, lucky people!

Past £46 (which I would guess is now below what will be the MRRP) there is only 2 bidders, that's all it takes in an auction. But will there be enough buyers willing to buy new to make it profitable ?

I don't think they were particularly cheap in the first place. £45 last time they were readily available.

If available now I would expect them to be about £60 each.

Jason

Whilst I see your point, you do get a full kit of all components required - the bogies in particular and the elliptical toplight roof are frequently a sod to source these days for the scratch builder. Moreover, for the modeller, the materials of manufacture shouldn't bother too much -yes brass coaches seem to appeal to collectors in a way that plastic absolutely wouldn't, but the finished article - albeit in plastic - are very nice indeed. I'd happily pay £60 for a fully inclusive kit; and indeed until my soldering skills mature I'm more likely to knock-up a plastic kit than a brass one; I just know the three Geen concertina kits that I picked up at Scale Forum North this month will sit in the 'to build' pile for many years to come!

CoY

• RMweb Gold

Especially when they are currently advertised for sale for £45http://shop.cooper-craft.co.uk/index.php?cPath=60_67&osCsid=kedvifvn40h6clhcg62vgirss4 !

Ahem!

But they're not available and haven't been for years!

This thread (and the previous others) is about the inability of the owner of Coopercraft to make any kits but to take the money for them.

But they're not available and haven't been for years!

This thread (and the previous others) is about the inability of the owner of Coopercraft to make any kits but to take the money for them.

You need to re-read my post with your irony detector set to maximum!

To be fair, that's true of most of my posts.

• Like 1

Whilst I see your point, you do get a full kit of all components required - the bogies in particular and the elliptical toplight roof are frequently a sod to source these days for the scratch builder. Moreover, for the modeller, the materials of manufacture shouldn't bother too much -yes brass coaches seem to appeal to collectors in a way that plastic absolutely wouldn't, but the finished article - albeit in plastic - are very nice indeed. I'd happily pay £60 for a fully inclusive kit; and indeed until my soldering skills mature I'm more likely to knock-up a plastic kit than a brass one; I just know the three Geen concertina kits that I picked up at Scale Forum North this month will sit in the 'to build' pile for many years to come!

CoY

I think you missed my point.

My point was people are saying the prices on eBay are mad, but I would expect them to be near that price anyway. if they were available. I'm certainly not expecting them to be bargain bin prices.

I recently bought some Southern Kirk coaches from Phoenix for £25 each. I would expect the LNER coach kits to cost at least that much, if not more.  Not the £15 on the CC website.

Add all the extras I need to improve them, then it's getting towards the price that I could have paid for the Hornby version. But I want them to match the coaches I already have and I like building them.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

You need to re-read my post with your irony detector set to maximum!

To be fair, that's true of most of my posts.

I saw it first time, but sadly in trying to convey some irony you posted a link to a page where it details items for sale that there is no hope in hell of ever receiving. 

There are enough unwary individuals caught out by CC that it's better not to give directions.

I saw it first time, but sadly in trying to convey some irony you posted a link to a page where it details items for sale that there is no hope in hell of ever receiving. 

There are enough unwary individuals caught out by CC that it's better not to give directions.

Pretty wary if they've been reading this topic! 

Reflecting on the Ebay feeding frenzy, persuading oneself that the silly prices paid on Ebay for these second-hand kits are justified is understandable (especially if you are the one lucky enough to have more money than sense!), but the point about these kits is that they were introduced some time ago, and will have paid for their tooling costs several times over.  It is not necessarily the case that they would or will be significantly hiked in price if made available again.  The one Slaters example we have so far is that of the gratifyingly modestly priced Midland wagons.

If re-introduced, I suspect such products would always be cheaper than a new or replacement product. For instance, we could pay £80 for a resin coach kit, and then still need to buy accessories. One of the chief reasons I mourned these ranges was precisely because, as time served models, they were relatively good value.  Once you start paying over a certain amount for them, IMHO, you miss the point of them.

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 1

......I'd happily pay £60 for a fully inclusive kit....

I think it's pretty clear that the leading bidder on the current eBay Toplight trio has put in an absolutely humongous protective bid on each one - likely at least £100+. Maybe we should all pitch in and help him spend it all....

• Like 1

But do people read topics?

I've seen people ask questions on threads when the answer is actually on the page they are posting on.

Jason

Perhaps they don't.  Perhaps I've missed the point and that's where I've being going wrong; reading other peoples' posts!  Duh!

Perhaps, after all, the topics are no more than a sort of 'venting machine', into which any passing contrarian can insert his twopenneth in return for several minutes' sense of self-satisfaction!

I was once asked to re-title a topic I'd started on the subject, so perhaps that is the answer here; this one could be called "Coopercraft kits - A Warning!". 

It's the ... Midland Clayton 6-wheelers I mourn.

If only I'd known before it was too late ....

I've got an almost completed rake of 5 of those - built from bits I've cobbled together from his stands at various Expos/Scaleforums and a bit of scratchbuilding. 

Sorry*  if I took the last ones! 

* Not really  :devil:

Perhaps they don't.  Perhaps I've missed the point and that's where I've being going wrong; reading other peoples' posts!  Duh!

Perhaps, after all, the topics are no more than a sort of 'venting machine', into which any passing contrarian can insert his twopenneth in return for several minutes' sense of self-satisfaction!

I was once asked to re-title a topic I'd started on the subject, so perhaps that is the answer here; this one could be called "Coopercraft kits - A Warning!". 

But all this "venting" is only leading to one thing - another locked thread.....

Can we just rein it in a bit and keep the thread so that we don't have yet another thread asking "why haven't I received anything from Coopercraft?".

I know some people don't want them. We get it. But some of us DO want them.

Jason