Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, Br60066 said:

I know this is far from an ideal solution, but I have noticed (both from comments on this forum and my own experience) that glue marks only affect models with fitted name plates. If you are worried about glue marks you would be safer to buy one of the models with no name plates. This makes me think Hatton’s could solve the glue marks problem by not pre attaching the name plates but instead supplying nameplates in the box for the buyer to fit and printing a nameplate on the model like other manufacturers approach. This also means people could fit aftermarket name plates if they preferred easily.

This of course raises the question “Are modellers happy to fit nameplates?” but that is a question for the model rail industry as a whole.

And discussed many times before.....

(The Dapol 68 was a good example)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, martin_l_jones said:

My first 66789 DCC fitted had serious wobble and derailing issues. This was replaced within a week and fortunately the replacement runs fine and it arrived intact. Ironically it’s now lost two axle boxes in normal running over three months. Found one and presume the other is in a hidden section. To be fair Hattons sent out a pack of replacements within twenty four hours and I re-fitted although I did open up the hole out in the AB slightly to allow a slide push fit. I placed the glue on a pin and touched the end of the axle with the loco upside down and through the bottom of the bogie to avoid getting any on the hole. Then took the decision to remove the body to fit a driver. I used some paper to spring out the handrails and carefully slid the body off the chassis.

The difficult bit was getting the lower ends of the handrails back into the holes on the body, but perseverance and now all good. Had to touch in a couple of places with white paint but nothing major. Runs really well just wondering whether I’ll loose any more ABs. I think the model is a step forward and sounds like I am one of the lucky ones.

6E59E345-BC3E-4C32-9E03-E5D35424D02E.jpeg

NIce driver! Where did you get him from?

On 06/05/2020 at 13:27, Half-full said:

Hattons offered a refund as the exact model was out of stock, offered alternatives or a refund, as they should.  They dont need to do anything else.  The poster is wanting something done that Hattons' arent able to do, simple as that.

I’m not understanding why Hattons are unable to fit sound to a non-sound version if the exact sound model is out of stock? That would be good customer service for a customer with a faulty loco.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, bart2day said:

I’m not understanding why Hattons are unable to fit sound to a non-sound version if the exact sound model is out of stock? That would be good customer service for a customer with a faulty loco.

If I recall correctly, they were out of sound stock.

Roy

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Whilst there may be some correlation with your observations I aren't sure there is any logic to this as the nameplates seem to be fastened on with tape.

Always good to have a second opinion for this exact reason. I assumed they had been glued on so you could be right it might just be a coincidence for me :)

3 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

If I recall correctly, they were out of sound stock.

Roy

Fair enough, but if a customers sound version is faulty, couldn’t Hattons take the chip and speaker out of the faulty model and put it in a DCC ready one and then send that back to the customer?

1 minute ago, bart2day said:

Fair enough, but if a customers sound version is faulty, couldn’t Hattons take the chip and speaker out of the faulty model and put it in a DCC ready one and then send that back to the customer?

It seems they couldn't without sending it to and fro from the customer and asking for some money to fit it. That's what the discussion is about!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, bart2day said:

It may well be that they have to return a complete faulty unit back to China under their warranty with the factory. 

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
Typo
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, bart2day said:

Their DCC/sound fitting service is currently suspended so I think that was the main reason why they couldn't do it or hold the model until it resumes.

On 05/05/2020 at 16:34, Sir TophamHatt said:

29/04: Email from Hatton's apologising that the service department still isn't open.  My email would go back to the returns team.
29/04: Replied saying thanks, re-iterating I am happy to leave it with them until the department is open.

01/05: Hatton's reply saying it's not possible for them to keep it any more.

1 hour ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Their DCC/sound fitting service is currently suspended so I think that was the main reason why they couldn't do it or hold the model until it resumes.

But @Sir TophamHatt stated that he was prepared to wait. Given the current circumstances, why not be a little flexible? You know, customer satisfaction an' all that jazz?

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

7 hours ago, big jim said:

I wonder if it may depend on where the plates are fitted, cab side seem to be glued but on the ribbed side they are taped one maybe?

my 66789 are taped to the rib side 

Precisely.  All the ones I have that feature bodyside nameplates are affixed with tape - which seems logical, as glue dribbling into ribbed panels is surely asking for trouble before you can even say Fanny Cradock.  :lol:

If I'm not mistaken, the only prototypes to feature cabside nameplates are EWS variants and most of those are less than standard height ('EWS Energy' excepted) - making for a very slender nameplate when reduced to 1:76.  Logic tells me that perhaps for this reason - alongside the fact the cabside is flat as opposed to ribbed - someone somewhere decided it would be preferable to glue those in place as opposed to tape.  All seems logical, except for the fact of course that it seems notoriously difficult for factory assemblers to actually affix these horizontally or/and without glue marks - re earlier saga with Dapol 68s.   :rolleyes:

So, an educated guess suggests that 'James Nightall GC' is likely the only glue-fitted plate:

H4-66-002_3398555_Qty1_3.jpg

Printed nameplates on ribbed bodysides are also a bit ridiculous, firstly they are in no way realistic, and secondly are insanely difficult to remove if anyone wants to create an unnamed variant.  I reckon that Hattons have got the nameplate situation spot-on for those with bodyside plates - easily adjustable/removable and feature a light white printed guideline underneath to aid reattachment, which is also easy to remove if required. 

The cabside-named variants might perhaps be better having guidelines lightly printed, or even the nameplate printed (if guidelines alone are going to terrify anyone), with the actual plates in a bag for the user to attach. 

Al

Edited by YesTor
  • Like 3

On 06/05/2020 at 13:27, Half-full said:

Hattons offered a refund as the exact model was out of stock, offered alternatives or a refund, as they should.  They dont need to do anything else.  The poster is wanting something done that Hattons' arent able to do, simple as that.

I just want the product as advertised.

Any business should want to supply that. Hattons may not NEED to do anything else but I suspect they'd want to (to a limit). 

I find it interesting that you think what I asked for is unreasonable. If Hattons want to send me a loco, for it to sit in the corner of the room and then get returned to them later in the year, risking damage, that's fine. But I see it as a waste of time and big risk for no gain.

Turns out, Hattons have untangled some mis-communication and they can keep the loco at their premises until someone is able to look at it. A logical outcome.

Their emails made out I could get a partial refund and non-dcc model, then I'd be charged more than the original £265 to have sound fitted to it a later date. I don't think that's reasonable. You do. That's fine. Happy to continue this via messaging if you wanted.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Turns out, Hattons have untangled some mis-communication and they can keep the loco at their premises until someone is able to look at it. A logical outcome.

The right answer, and good customer service on the part of Hattons. Excellent!

Edited by truffy
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

FYI: Hattons have replied with a good and suitable outcome.

I really want to support them, hence trying to work through and find a solution. But can't help but be disappointed when it seems I'm just met with a brick wall, as many would.

I completely understand locos are pot luck. I got an awesome Class 14xx. Others did not. Just like others got an awesome Class 66. I did not. But it's the response when things aren't right that's important.

However, whatever anyone says, I truly take my hat off to them. I feel really bad for them as this should be their current crown jewl but it's turned out to be a mess.

Launching a product in the midst of the corona virus was always going to be risky. But good on them for taking a risk - I bet when this is over, it will have been worth it.

... coming full circle to me wanting them to succeed and support them.

Edited by Sir TophamHatt
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Still having axle box issues torn between sending model back for refund or cutting off the top of the box and glueing in place so it does not move. Model is the sound large logo which they don't have any of! Decisions decisions!!

• RMweb Gold
On 09/05/2020 at 14:32, big jim said:

Not me then

fat, yes, bald, no, like Ken Dodd since lockdown! 

Ken Dodd's dad's dogs dead. Repeat ad nauseum.

• Funny 1

9 hours ago, Markwj said:

Still having axle box issues torn between sending model back for refund or cutting off the top of the box and glueing in place so it does not move. Model is the sound large logo which they don't have any of! Decisions decisions!!

Instead of cutting off end see earlier posts regarding carefully drilling out axle box aperture to 3mm.

have done this with all my locos and no issues at all since.