Beasts photos - ongoing - last update : 05 February 2019

• RMweb Premium

For info : I'm having trouble with Flickr at the moment, it takes ages to upload a photo and trying to upload several at once is even worse, I haven't got the time or the inclination to hand hold the upload so I'm currently "on hold" pending our broad band upgrade

Flickr has been a pain the last couple of day's with problems uploading photos 

John 

• RMweb Gold

are the photos small enough to direct upload here?

Yes but it was decided that Flickr is the best place (after discussion with Andy Y) and I now share them in lots of railway based Facebook groups so don't want to go back to having to upload them 27 times ..

• RMweb Premium

Please continue posting the pictures as the pics around the Chester area bring back so many memories from when I lived in Chester in the early 80's I've not commented because of my inferior knowledge as I was but a young boy back in the 80's but this is what gave me my interest in Railways.

This thread is like a time machine for me so please continue.

All the best 

Colin 

Another vote for you to continue !!

As a young trainspotter I was only interested in the actual trains, this thread is a great reminder of all the other fascinating aspects of the railway, that I should have taken more notice of at the time !

I'll chip in with info when I can, but please don't take 'radio silence' to mean your efforts aren't appreciated.

Cheers,

Phil.

I can only echo the above posters thoughts! I can relive my young teenage days around Ellesmere Port / Wirral & Chester through your excellent photo collection. Please do carry on!

• RMweb Premium

DAS001016, A 40 on an aircon set.... ECS or covering for a 47/4?

DAS001009 - despite 40101 being a Kingmoor loco, it always seemed reluctant to venture down the S&C and turn right at Hellifield, however, the likes of the Canton named 47s (of which 083 is one), they were regulars on Severn Tunnel-Carlisle and return workings.

Keep em coming Dave.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

DAS001016, A 40 on an aircon set.... ECS or covering for a 47/4?

DAS001009 - despite 40101 being a Kingmoor loco, it always seemed reluctant to venture down the S&C and turn right at Hellifield, however, the likes of the Canton named 47s (of which 083 is one), they were regulars on Severn Tunnel-Carlisle and return workings.

Keep em coming Dave.

Cheers,

Mick

Annoyingly I was in the signal box and could have found out the workings but at that time I wasn't bothered ... DOH !

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

DAS001016 - the 40 on aircons - could it have been a Scotland-Liverpool working, change from electric at possibly Preston to whatever they had available there? 

The Buffet is next to the loco, which might suggest a Scotland - Liverpool/Manchester splitter, although 9 coaches in one portion seems high.

I'm intrigued by 1013 and the two vertical dummies. One (the upper?) refers to the trailing crossover, but what of the other? There was once a further movement possible from Down Slow to Up Fast, but that crossover was long gone. Gone too is the goods yard connection on the Down side. Was it to permit a wrong road movement to Huyton Quarry sidings and the Willis Branch?

I should know this as I worked the L&MR as a guard in the early to mid-seventies, but it isn't happening!

• RMweb Gold

I'm intrigued by 1013 and the two vertical dummies. One (the upper?) refers to the trailing crossover, but what of the other? There was once a further movement possible from Down Slow to Up Fast, but that crossover was long gone. Gone too is the goods yard connection on the Down side. Was it to permit a wrong road movement to Huyton Quarry sidings and the Willis Branch?

I should know this as I worked the L&MR as a guard in the early to mid-seventies, but it isn't happening!

The clue is in the description ... :onthequiet:

The top disc, as you say, reads over the crossover. The bottom disc reads wrong line along the down main to Huyton Quarry Ground Frame - aka bang road.

• RMweb Premium

Another brilliant set of photos Dave, thanks for sharing.

Typical work-a-day railway operations and infrastructure ignored by many at the time as "uninteresting", but a few decades on they are an invaluable historical record.

Particularly like the coal bunker on DAS001007, and a couple of loose track spikes and the tie bar on the points in DAS001013.

Keep 'em coming!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

One of my pics of Huyton in 2013, a bit more security 30 odd years down the line

null-135.jpg

If you tried to take a pic from the same vantage point now you would be stood in the 4ft of the reinstated lines between broad green and Huyton

Edited by big jim
  • Like 1

The clue is in the description ... :onthequiet:

The top disc, as you say, reads over the crossover. The bottom disc reads wrong line along the down main to Huyton Quarry Ground Frame - aka bang road.

Thanks Mate! As first opened, the photos covered the bottom line of each caption, which I didn't realise (I hate bloody computers!).

• RMweb Gold

Another brilliant set of photos Dave, thanks for sharing.

Typical work-a-day railway operations and infrastructure ignored by many at the time as "uninteresting", but a few decades on they are an invaluable historical record.

Particularly like the coal bunker on DAS001007, and a couple of loose track spikes and the tie bar on the points in DAS001013.

Keep 'em coming!

The only thing unchanged in the Huyton photos is that coal bunker, which was still there when I visited last year

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Top to bottom (relative position of the arms) = left to right (route it refers to)

Yes, I know that: as an ex-guard I should! It was where the lower arm referred that I was unsure of. It's best part of a mile from that dummy to the entrance points for the sidings and Willis Branch.

Looking through Beast's photos of the area, I have to ask myself, "Did I really sign the road for all this?" They're certainly bringing back many memories, so thanks, Beast!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The only thing unchanged in the Huyton photos is that coal bunker, which was still there when I visited last year

Thanks Dave. Just looked on Routeview, yes the bunker is still there but the coal has gone (wonder if the coal was used up before the 'Box closed, or if it was redistributed by the locals?).

• Like 1