Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, AlfaZagato said:

Would there not be raised stones or a sleeper at the end of the narrow gauge to halt wagons?

don’t know but it’s something I can look at

I’d appreciate any photos

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1

Hi Chris. As it is such a short line on level track, I can't see a need for any formal stop arrangement. There won't be a lot of momentum gained by a person or persons propelling an empty wagon out of the building. Even if they bump a wagon up into the cobbles, what can be damaged, other than the flanges? 

If anything was provided, there might be a wheelstop on one of both rails. Or, tramway style, stick a bollard in the middle of the "4ft". As more damage might occur inside the building in the event of an incident then wheelstops might exist there. But as you have modelled the building with the doors shut. . . .

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

31 minutes ago, Fishplate said:

Hi Chris. As it is such a short line on level track, I can't see a need for any formal stop arrangement. There won't be a lot of momentum gained by a person or persons propelling an empty wagon out of the building. Even if they bump a wagon up into the cobbles, what can be damaged, other than the flanges? 

If anything was provided, there might be a wheelstop on one of both rails. Or, tramway style, stick a bollard in the middle of the "4ft". As more damage might occur inside the building in the event of an incident then wheelstops might exist there. But as you have modelled the building with the doors shut. . . .

Bold text above added by me.

I can see what's coming now.....

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Thinking of something like this for the coal barge

C36E3B95-D617-49BC-811B-F96CCF0CADAF.jpeg.7bc850f58e9d6f913be5639e15a7971d.jpeg

Should be easy enough to draw but I can’t quite figure out what these are supposed to look like though

8F312CCC-1275-4783-BBA6-E8BC78A149AA.jpeg.8054e425c24c9302faa39e54a826d361.jpeg

Also not sure of the construction wood or steel

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Thinking of something like this for the coal barge

C36E3B95-D617-49BC-811B-F96CCF0CADAF.jpeg.7bc850f58e9d6f913be5639e15a7971d.jpeg

Should be easy enough to draw but I can’t quite figure out what these are supposed to look like though

8F312CCC-1275-4783-BBA6-E8BC78A149AA.jpeg.8054e425c24c9302faa39e54a826d361.jpeg

Also not sure of the construction wood or steel

10 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Oh be sensible Wolfers old man, it's the towing post, braced between keel(?) and prow. I would expect wood on a wooden boat.

https://victorianweb.org/technology/ships/33.html

If it is a towing post, why are there three of them?  I have only ever seen towing ropes attached higher up too, so the horse is pulling down a little rather than up (if you get what I mean).

I'm tempted to think they are just poor representations of posts for mooring ropes and might be better replaced with 'metal' fittings.

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

They're not a great representation, but river barges are often towed and manoeuvred as well as moored in such a way.

3798694b3686414f6d12958a7cfa2d95.jpg.59f8ab4b89fa0d62d2c0934a023fa1be.jpg

Ah, perhaps that is what they are supposed to be then, especially since Chris's example looks a little wide, i.e. a barge rather than a canal/narrow boat.

• Like 1

That's a part of the off air discussion we've been having, a dumb barge on the canals would have to be a narrow boat, just to get through the locks, but not necessarily a seventy foot long example, probably forty feet.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This might be handy, Chris.

https://live.staticflickr.com/6080/6062870105_5f317c2fed_b.jpg

It's the section of disused canal at the Black Country Museum.  Behind the camera is the section which often appeared in Peaky Blinders.  If you look carefully you can see there are more barges than it first appears though they may have been the victims of some over loading!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Whatever I do I’ll base it on the dimensions of the one I have which is approximately 45mm x 155mm as it doesn’t look too out of place on the layout

Once I’ve drawn something I’ll post it on here and gauge the reactions 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, MrWolf said:

That's a part of the off air discussion we've been having, a dumb barge on the canals would have to be a narrow boat, just to get through the locks, but not necessarily a seventy foot long example, probably forty feet.

That would rather depend on the canal.  To take a local (to you) example, the locks were 72 x 14.5 ft, so long enough for a narrow boat, but twice the width.  Whereas the canals in the area that is now known as Telford had locks of 20' x 6'4"

Being able to fit through the locks is only important if they need to pass through them.  If they are being used for a specific job, then they might not need to pass through locks.  The Birmingham Canal Navigations had locks that were built for narrow boats (70 x 7 ft), but over in the north western part of it, there were a lot of miles that were lockless, and some short haul boats were built that were longer and wider.  They mainly carried coal from the Cannock collieries to the Wolverhampton area.

In short, unless Warren Branch is a model of a real location, then the boats or barges on the canal can be of what ever size you like, providing they'll fit through the bridges and go around the corners.

Adrian

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6