• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

I hoped I could get away with the over scale bucket as a coal hoist tipping bucket but I think it might be too big?

I'd agree, it looks too big. Some kind of grab might look better? This page has one about 2/3 of the way down. Most of the other photos i can find show coal being unloaded by hand...

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Nick C said:

I'd agree, it looks too big. Some kind of grab might look better? This page has one about 2/3 of the way down. Most of the other photos i can find show coal being unloaded by hand...

I did think about a grab but the crane isn’t rigged correctly, a mechanical grab needs two chains….I only know this because my first proper draughting job was drawing grabs and crane jib’s on the drawing board

Before CNC so all parts had to be hand drawn full size with a thick line for a oxyacetylene profile cutter

anyway I have a plan B,C & D with the help of @MrWolf who has kindly pointed me in the direction of some suitable images

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

That's far more positive than simply not ar*ed.

Rome wasn't modelled in a day.

This would'nt be the same person then who keeps finding other items to include on his to do list of models he'd like to do would it by any chance would it?

Just in passing have you finished the level crossing?

Asking for a friend.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

42 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

This would'nt be the same person then who keeps finding other items to include on his to do list of models he'd like to do would it by any chance would it?

Just in passing have you finished the level crossing?

Asking for a friend.

It would. It's more a matter of procrastination and more pressing jobs  than not being ar*ed there too.

Hopefully you're sitting down.

The gates were installed on the layout about 10pm tonight.

Still a lot to do.

• Round of applause 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I have carefully filled the gaps and cleaned up as best as o could

For some odd reason the browser dropped me at the last post made, not the last one viewed as it normally does, so I scrolled up, post by post. I didn't even realise there was a join looking at the last photo. It was only on further upward scrolling that all was revealed.

You should have just kept quiet and said it was all one big piece. Would have fooled me. 😀

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

When I saw your first pic, I was wondering just how big your bloody printer was! The joints are only "obvious" because you know they're there. You've done a cracking job in disguising them.

Edited by 57xx
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

Real world, most patchy.

Also, the setts around here have had the joints sealed with pitch, a very long time ago, presumably to keep them in place and discourage weeds, although it has broken up quite a bit now.

IMG_20220603_141334.jpg.a2634c020c42268f12bd628ff36902e1.jpg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 4

2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Real world, most patchy.

Also, the setts around here have had the joints sealed with pitch, a very long time ago, presumably to keep them in place and discourage weeds, although it has broken up quite a bit now.

IMG_20220603_141334.jpg.a2634c020c42268f12bd628ff36902e1.jpg

Oh dear Rob you need to get the pressure jetter on that my lad and one of those wire brush scrapers on a broom handle. Aldi do them. Mind you looking at how big that area is you might need a couple of them.😆

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

That's across the street from our place. Not my cobblestones, not my moss. 

As in the old German saying "Not my circus, not my monkeys".

If it was mine, the weeds would be gone because there'd be an enormous corrugated iron roof over it, creating a superior Shed of Doom.

• Like 4