Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Anybody actually modeling in this heat?

Current task is soldering the wiring to the electro-magnets for the uncoupling points.  There seem to be an awful lot of them needed for all the points where uncoupling might take place and it has got way to hot to wield a soldering iron, even with the windows wide open.

• Like 1

(Continuation from post #3) - too bloody hot by 8.30 this morning, and what a hot night it was - I'm talking about the temperature that is. If this carries on I'm gonna have to invest in a/c !!! :sungum:   

• Like 1

Ideal track laying weather for the garden line, Painted the clear plastic roof over the branch terminus yesterday and did some more work on the Airfix/ Hornby 14XX in the shed which is insulated and nice and cool.  Might clear some more vegetation with a view to re opening the top section of the garden line later.

• RMweb Gold

Hiding from the heat building Cambrian and Parkside kits. Too hot to be outside and have lots of diy to do, so modelling takes my mind off it. Doing odds and sods like putting brake discs on Dapol 68's too.

Hell yeah....

Regardless of time of year, the chuffers keep me sane.

My model, come tinker zone is in a spare room, so it’s hot but not crazy.

I’m taking 47078 apart as it had anew solebar, and I put the light switch back in the wrong spot. Also re weather the bogies and tank. 31415 waiting patiently for a white stripe the other side post-450-0-62236800-1531140138_thumb.jpeg

Edited by rob D2
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I had an hour or so out on the patio with SWMBO yesterday fettling up the 94xx body for my Limbach converssion; garden chair, ice cream, beer, and 2 files, rat and flat.  Trimmed off the excess from the slitting disc cutting, and reamed out the buffer holes.  I drilled a hole in the chimney and started reaming this out as well, then it got too hot, the ice cream and beer were finished, and I went inside.

• Like 4

Summer is the best time for those of us outdoors.  My layout thread (Carrog) shows I have continued modelling since the hot spell started. It was 90 degrees in the shed yesterday which is quite cool compared with some days, but I have brownish skin and cope well with heat without sweating. With PVA going off so quickly, the whole 14 feet of layout was laid and ballasted in one day. 

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 3

(Continuation from post #3) - too bloody hot by 8.30 this morning, and what a hot night it was - I'm talking about the temperature that is. If this carries on I'm gonna have to invest in a/c !!! :sungum:

Hot during the night? Huh, t'aint nuthin... I did 12 years on nightshifts until recently - try sleeping in the day in this weather!! :P :sungum: :tease:

... but I am glad that I'm not on nights any more. ;)

Heat during the day and night reminds me unpleasantly of the time I spent in west Africa (Nigeria and Ghana).  Not that it was all bad, and you get used to it after a couple of weeks:

IMG_5806.jpg.c54670aa6a8040272e4cb1edaa29a910.jpg

Edited by eastglosmog
Restore photo
  • Like 1

I know a lot of it depends what time you book off, but doing 18-06.00 nights and being asleep by 07.00 I find is the best way for me in the heat because I'm sleeping in the coolest part of the day and can relax in the hot part. Also, I know some guys don't go to bed as soon as they're in the door. The last week of nights I did was busy with additional midweek engineers trains on top of the regular Mendip traffic and daily trips so I slept well from that workout!

As for modelling, I've done a little bit of rubbing back primer coats etc, but all done sat in the garden.

Jo

Edited by Steadfast

• RMweb Gold

In this heat I have been preparing my shed for the model railway which is currently in storage following a house move. Installed membrane prior to insulated plasterboard.

post-158-0-47023300-1531169496_thumb.jpg

I also knocked a hole in the block wall so that I could extend two of the terminus platforms into the adjacent utility area to accommodate longer trains. Platforms hold a seven coach train plus loco. The six foot extension will enable longer trains including the full length APT-P.

post-158-0-22235700-1531170971_thumb.jpg

Edited by Colin_McLeod
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

No, nothing being done here.

Too hot for the enthusiasm generator to function properly.

Certainly no "real" modelling being done here - not hard to work out why.

However, I have finally made some progress on a "cakebox challenge" entry. That's right - I've emptied a cakebox ... .

On another note, I've also been experimenting with cutting up and sticking together various types of foam - albeit types not normally associated with modelmaking.

Meanwhile, I'm beginning to wonder if, in certain parts of the country, some trainspotters might be turning their attention to rail replacement buses.

Seriously though, you didn't really expect me to concentrate on building model trains in this heat, did you?

Huw.

• RMweb Gold

Certainly no "real" modelling being done here - not hard to work out why.

However, I have finally made some progress on a "cakebox challenge" entry. That's right - I've emptied a cakebox ... .

On another note, I've also been experimenting with cutting up and sticking together various types of foam - albeit types not normally associated with modelmaking.

Meanwhile, I'm beginning to wonder if, in certain parts of the country, some trainspotters might be turning their attention to rail replacement buses.

Seriously though, you didn't really expect me to concentrate on building model trains in this heat, did you?

Huw.

Hello Huw. Down here in Sunny Newport, the weather is just spiffing, don'tcha know! From here, I can see over to my modelling table, where my 94xx sits looking at me. However, getting up is an entirely different matter altogether. With luck, I might stagger over to the fridge... I understand it's a lot cooler in Cwmbran.

Tootle pip!

Edited by tomparryharry
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

However, getting up is an entirely different matter altogether. With luck, I might stagger over to the fridge... I understand it's a lot cooler in Cwmbran.

I wish … !

Let's face it - Cwmbran's only a few km inland from Newport - and I don't have to go far to be reminded of this.

At the junction between Ty Canol Way and Henllys Way, I can often get a clear view of Newport Transporter Bridge - and those 2 "bird shredders" between Nash College and Llanwern are also visible from the same spot.

(Before anyone suggests I "should be keeping my eyes on the road", I'd better point out that this view is from a passenger seat on a local service bus. Although I've had a clean car driving licence for more than a quarter of a century, I don't own a car - so any driving I do involves hire cars.)

By the way, I know exactly what you mean about "getting up" and staggering over to the fridge - an exercise which often seems to involve various beverages rapidly disappearing … .

Anyway, I might need to find lots of energy in the next few weeks - to get to some events in the area:

* This weekend, there's a show in Penarth.

* A fortnight Sunday, Newport MRC have rescheduled their open day.

I had been intending to take an ongoing project along to the Newport event, in the hope of getting some advice. Unfortunately, with the weather as hot as it's been (and me as tired as I've been), I can't see this happening.

However, I still reckon I'll enjoy both of these events.

Regards,

Huw.

Yes, work continues on the 4mm OO scale Broad Sidlinch layout at Holt Station on the North Norfolk Railway.

Lunchtime interlude included the N2 on the Gresley Quad-art set and the Y14 on the vintage train.

Paul 

post-665-0-64133000-1531242648_thumb.jpg

post-665-0-01756700-1531242683_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

So far I have managed to get from thispost-54-0-16341900-1531244229_thumb.jpeg

To thispost-54-0-54805500-1531244257_thumb.jpeg

Over the past week or so, but I am only managing about an hour a night at most before deciding it’s too hot and calling it a night.

If only work didn’t get in the way and I could make use of the cooler morning on a weekday while the girls are at nursery!

• Like 3

Huw.

That's a rather sore point round these parts - one of the rail replacement buses last weekend got a bit lost between Moreton and Oxford!