Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bachmann Class 47

steveb860

OK mine is still grinding in one direction, dead slow ok, then there is the area of grind before as speed increases (not much) it sounds smooth again.

Its also perfectly smooth at all speeds in the other direction.

What is this likely to be? I did drop some oil on the prop shafts and end bearings of the worms.

I'd feel happier if I could get some on the motor bearings because what I don't want to do is damage it by using it.

Is there really no body who has stipped it down on here?

Hi Mike

I completely stripped down the 47/7 I mentioned above to remove the capacitors (3 off) across the motor connections, and the tank switches, all my lighting options are now DCC function key controlled.  If you drop both bogies by removing the pivot screws, depending on the length of the pickup wires, the plastic lower chassis frame clips can be released from the metal block,and the plastic frame pulled down enough to allow access to the motor. There should be enough play in the tank switches wiring to allow this, although in my case I removed them completely.  When refitting the bogies, be careful not to snag the pick-up wires, and ensure the drive shafts are seated properly in the flywheels. With the bogies dropped it's also worth checking that the securing plates over the drive worms are fitted correctly.

It's strange than you only have problems in one direction ?  and just at certain speeds.  An extended period of running/bedding it may ? help/cure it.

HTH

Ken

Hi Ken

Many thanks, so I'll be able to get the drive shafts located ok?

Given the trouble I have had opening this one so far and the damage the cable glue caused by ripping out the cab inserts I am scared to open but the noise is as bad today.

I had a Bachmann class 25 do the same thing (had her for some years) but was just able to get at the motor bearings with a long oil applicator and once done problem solved.

Same noise etc.

I may do this under my camera so it makes some guidance for others in the future.

Would it be worth drilling some oiling holes in the metal block to allow easy oiling later do you think?

Thanks for your advice, as you can see I am rather reluctant to go ahead but faint heart never won smooth loco! 

Hi chaps

Here is a quick video letting you hear the noise issue I am having.

https://youtu.be/UekEuvTbL7M

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike

Considering the previous hassle you've had with this loco, you could end up stripping it down completely and perhaps still not cure the "grinding noise".  On this occasion I'd return it to Bachmann with a covering letter detailing all the problems you had with it. They "might" just replace it with a new loco - depending on stock being available.

Ken

Absolutely fantastic video. I am not very confident at stripping things down but this was most useful. I have a Heljan Hymek that has a similar ( but not as extreme) problem. I may have a go...

Aww mate, many thanks  :locomotive:

• 3 weeks later...

Yep, I ve seen them mentioned

Hi, they are where the spindle of the motor, that drives your models comes through the frame of the motor.

Very important to keep these running smooth as any wear will produce noise and cause vibration eventually.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Large logo 47436 and the weathered BR Blue 47001 are in stock according to emails from Hatton's. Will have to decide whether the weathering on 47001 is ok as a basis for further work, but a standard LL presents lots of options for renumbering, although I'd prefer some more "interesting" than the ubiquitous CD locos.

Large logo 47436 and the weathered BR Blue 47001 are in stock according to emails from Hatton's. Will have to decide whether the weathering on 47001 is ok as a basis for further work, but a standard LL presents lots of options for renumbering, although I'd prefer some more "interesting" than the ubiquitous CD locos.

Pictures:

Weathered 47001: https://railsofsheffield.com/oo-scale-class-47-001-br-blue-weathered-diesel-locomotive-free-uk-post-31-659-Bachmann-JJJA26701.aspx

47436: https://railsofsheffield.com/class-47-4-47436-br-blue-large-logo-31-660-Bachmann-JJJA27615.aspx

• RMweb Premium

Thanks but oh dear... something has gone wrong with the underframe tanks on 47001. They look like a mish-mash of the originals, with which 47001 was withdrawn, and the later arrangement once the boiler water tank was removed and replaced with the long range tanks. 47436 looks like it has the correct representations. Looks like a mistake in the factory as the Bachmann website images look ok.

47436 hs its 

Thanks but oh dear... something has gone wrong with the underframe tanks on 47001. They look like a mish-mash of the originals, with which 47001 was withdrawn, and the later arrangement once the boiler water tank was removed and replaced with the long range tanks. 47436 looks like it has the correct representations. Looks like a mistake in the factory as the Bachmann website images look ok.

47436 has its ETH gubbins in the wrong place...Bachmann have never got this right on the 47401-585 range