Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Very true, but I as another Zimo user would have liked the option or failing that (as I understand that AS collaborated with ESU with the sound) at least be able to include the speaker package with the Loco so another brand of decoder would be a straight swap/fit.

The speaker as a standalone accessory will go on sale on Monday / Tuesday, as will the Loksound as a non OEM offer, so there will be the option to purchase DCC ready locos going forward, buying the speaker add on and  using any sound chip you like.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Haverail said:

HELP! I followed a suggestion on here to change CV29 to value 26 (should have thought about it first) I did this now the loco does nothing, other locos work but my Deltic has no power, sound or lights.

I am using an NCE Powercab, does anyone know the default value for CV29 so I can get it going again?

Thanks in advance

It is because the V5 for the European markets doesn’t use the three step Cv for speed steps it only uses the complete speed curve unlike the V5 for the US market which have always favoured the three step method.

Thats how it was explained to me when I first had issues adjusting a V5.

CV29 at the setting you tried is for the three step method, so it doesn’t work, annoyingly.

• Like 1

Ballymoss arrived on the 17th and on the 23rd I had to sent it back. It seemed fine at first after running in on a rolling road, but it started being non-responsive on my test track on the 21st and I tried it again on my club's test track and same thing happened. The power light on the controllers (I run on analogue) would get dimmer the more I turned the controllers dials, which indicates to me the model must be shorting out somewhere.

The returns/exchange process was very painless I am glad to say, but it is a shame I had to do this. I am currently awaiting a repair or replacement.

Nimbus arrived on the 21st and has been running faultlessly (thus far) but has a minor decoration issue (orange specks where there shouldn't be) on one side, but I think I can put up with it. This model I was able to run properly at the club test track and can haul 9 Bachmann MK1s and a Hornby Pullman Observation Car with ease.

Overall the models are quality products and I feel Accurascale will only improve as time goes on.

IMG_20220622_094454085.jpg

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Railsnail said:

Didn't even think to check when my DCC Sound '022 arrived. My blanking plate is also AWOL!

None here either, so I cannot check for the stutter I am getting on DCC with my analogue GM controller.

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, McC said:

The speaker as a standalone accessory will go on sale on Monday / Tuesday, as will the Loksound as a non OEM offer, so there will be the option to purchase DCC ready locos going forward, buying the speaker add on and  using any sound chip you like.

Doh!

• Funny 1

15 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Very true, but I as another Zimo user would have liked the option or failing that (as I understand that AS collaborated with ESU with the sound) at least be able to include the speaker package with the Loco so another brand of decoder would be a straight swap/fit.

I’ll be doing a head to head comparison of ESU and Zimo when mine arrive (for drivability, not sound). If anyone else is planning to do the same, I’d love to compare notes 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Steve Williams said:

That's interesting. I was going to try mine with a slightly increased start voltage, although sometimes I have found that speed step 1 is then too fast,

It is a little faster than some other locos but acceptable and preferable to the stuttering. After some more running I will lower it a bit and see if it improves as it runs in further.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, philg said:

I’ll be doing a head to head comparison of ESU and Zimo when mine arrive (for drivability, not sound). If anyone else is planning to do the same, I’d love to compare notes 

Please do keep us posted.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Haverail said:

It is a little faster than some other locos but acceptable and preferable to the stuttering. After some more running I will lower it a bit and see if it improves as it runs in further.

Problem for me is I prefer very slow crawl performance to high speed work, and a Loco starting off suddenly at a scale 5 mph looks awful I feel.

• Agree 4

13 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

It is because the V5 for the European markets doesn’t use the three step Cv for speed steps it only uses the complete speed curve unlike the V5 for the US market which have always favoured the three step method.

CV29 at the setting you tried is for the three step method, so it doesn’t work, annoyingly.

For the European V5 use CVs 67 to 94 for each individual speed step 1 to 28. CV 80 is speed step 14. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

We do recommend running in all models to allow gears etc to bed in for smoothness.

One thing we did with our Irish Metrovicks (which has the same motor) is that they just get smoother and smoother with use, especially at crawling speeds.

HTH

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 6
  • Informative/Useful 3

10 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Problem for me is I prefer very slow crawl performance to high speed work, and a Loco starting off suddenly at a scale 5 mph looks awful I feel.

Exactly why I committed to Zimo - their slow speed is ridiculous (and comes "out of the box" with no CV fiddling). There's some black magic at work I think!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

Do these ESUs also allow you to tweak back-EMF settings? That’s often the cause of poor slow-speed running

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, philg said:

Do these ESUs also allow you to tweak back-EMF settings? That’s often the cause of poor slow-speed running

Have folks tried the CV54=0 & F1 auto tune functionality ?

Make sure you have a few feet of track to spare if you try it as the loco takes off rapidly….

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Chris56057 said:

You'll need to sign up for the waiting list emails on the Accurascale website. There's a box (or at least there was) under each model to do this. 

https://www.accurascale.com/collections/class-55-deltic/products/9016-gordon-highlander

You may be at the back of some very long queues - dependent on which version you go for

1 hour ago, Invicta Informant said:

Ballymoss arrived on the 17th and on the 23rd I had to sent it back. It seemed fine at first after running in on a rolling road, but it started being non-responsive on my test track on the 21st and I tried it again on my club's test track and same thing happened. The power light on the controllers (I run on analogue) would get dimmer the more I turned the controllers dials, which indicates to me the model must be shorting out somewhere.

The returns/exchange process was very painless I am glad to say, but it is a shame I had to do this. I am currently awaiting a repair or replacement.

Nimbus arrived on the 21st and has been running faultlessly (thus far) but has a minor decoration issue (orange specks where there shouldn't be) on one side, but I think I can put up with it. This model I was able to run properly at the club test track and can haul 9 Bachmann MK1s and a Hornby Pullman Observation Car with ease.

Overall the models are quality products and I feel Accurascale will only improve as time goes on.

Is what you're calling a 'speck' the large mount of orange next to the center grille? And is that a scratch on the yellow? 

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Have folks tried the CV54=0 & F1 auto tune functionality ?

Make sure you have a few feet of track to spare if you try it as the loco takes off rapidly….

I have tried the auto tune and like before on V5 it didn’t seem to make any difference, but have been fiddling and managed to get the Loco to crawl reasonably well (no where near perfect though) with CV2 = 1 , Motor Freq CV9 = 16 , BEMF Voltage CV53 = 70…..( I tried this BEMF from 15 all the way to 150 and 70 was about the best)

At these settings it’s OK, but no where near as good as a Zimo in my experience.

If anyone else has some more luck please let me know.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

We do recommend running in all models to allow gears etc to bed in for smoothness.

One thing we did with our Irish Metrovicks (which has the same motor) is that they just get smoother and smoother with use, especially at crawling speeds.

HTH

Cheers!

Fran 

I gave mine an hour at half throttle each way last night, still the same this morning but as above with fiddling CVS managed to get a reasonable slow move away.

17 hours ago, thetrains said:

Maybe NEM should be attached to bogie like Bachmann.  Just my opinion but Acc. could have another look at this,  I also recall someone here said Kadees won't work with kinematics, but not sure which thread.

I think Bachmann have got this right. I have no end of problems with Hornby Class 60s and Hattons Class 66s.

My D9020 Nimbus arrived yesterday and after an hour or so running around light engine with no problems even through standard radius 2 point work, I coupled up to a rake of 8 Hornby Pullmans. 

Immediately derailment after derailment occurred and it was the loco that was being derailed by the 1st coach.

One of the chains detached from the body as a result (Now re-fixed with a blob of glue).

I have managed to improve things a bit by fitting a smaller (with smaller hook) Bachmann tension lock but have to be careful especially on negotiating reverse curves even though radius 4.

The kinematic couplings are possibly too lively or too lightly sprung.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 89A said:

I think Bachmann have got this right. I have no end of problems with Hornby Class 60s and Hattons Class 66s.

My D9020 Nimbus arrived yesterday and after an hour or so running around light engine with no problems even through standard radius 2 point work, I coupled up to a rake of 8 Hornby Pullmans. 

Immediately derailment after derailment occurred and it was the loco that was being derailed by the 1st coach.

One of the chains detached from the body as a result (Now re-fixed with a blob of glue).

I have managed to improve things a bit by fitting a smaller (with smaller hook) Bachmann tension lock but have to be careful especially on negotiating reverse curves even though radius 4.

The kinematic couplings are possibly too lively or too lightly sprung.

Over the years of running Hornby Pullmans ,I have found them to be prone to derailments or,as you have experienced,the cause of derailment.  In any case,apart from Pullman brake ends,Deltics would haul MK 1 versions I. No MetroCammell  brake ends were ever made.

The Mk 1 Pullman has been manufactured by Bachmann and is correct rather than the usual version which Hornby do. So your Deltic won’t be hauling a prototypically correct ECML Pullman train for 1961 onwards.

To satisfy myself,atm I have 55003 hauling a rake of 6 Bachmann 2F….the current production 2013 on…which thanks to good design manages to combine reasonably good close coupling with standard tension lock assembly.It’s now been running for 20+ minutes with no problem 

The coupling heights match btw. 

Kinematic coupling ?

Edited by Ian Hargrave
Clarity7
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Apparently my Deltics have arrived…

D3149856-8DA8-46B7-8FAB-5ED4C2A02F1F.jpeg.48c563f373a5755d79dce93e74507e32.jpeg

Got permission for extra time, so Quorn on sunday it is, going to be busy sunday night.

When I saw the box that had mine in it , I thought I had inadvertently ordered the Heljan 0 gauge version ! 😲

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, d46037 said:

Just had email from Rails to say Alycidon is on it’s way, Parcelforce being used as courier.

Yes,i spoke to them and the parcelforce 24 is to be used for sound fitted they said to get these to there customers asap.

4 hours ago, philg said:

I would also be very interested in that comparison. The ESU chip seems to have all the software needed to simulate coasting and active braking, but I've never yet seen it implemented. The Zimo's I have tried with my Irish locos are so much more prototypical to drive than various ESU projects including IRM/Accurascale's Irish A class ESU decoder which was disappointing from a drivability point of view due to the apparent lack of coasting and manual braking.  There is nothing quite like cutting the loco back down to notch 1 and idle as the train continues on coasting using only brakes (F4 on Zimo) to bring the train to a gradual halt at the correct platform position in a station, just like the prototype. Zimo decoder projects may also need suitable function mapping to handle the various light configurations on Accurascale locos.  The ESU sounds great, its just a bit 'toyish' to drive compared to Zimo's more prototypical method. LokSound V5 with its latest 'full throttle' software should be able to do all the Zimo does and more.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, NoelG said:

I would also be very interested in that comparison. The ESU chip seems to have all the software needed to simulate coasting and active braking, but I've never yet seen it implemented. The Zimo's I have tried with my Irish locos are so much more prototypical to drive than various ESU projects including IRM/Accurascale's Irish A class ESU decoder which was disappointing from a drivability point of view due to the apparent lack of coasting and manual braking.  There is nothing quite like cutting the loco back down to notch 1 and idle as the train continues on coasting using only brakes (F4 on Zimo) to bring the train to a gradual halt at the correct platform position in a station, just like the prototype. Zimo decoder projects may also need suitable function mapping to handle the various light configurations on Accurascale locos.  The ESU sounds great, its just a bit 'toyish' to drive compared to Zimo's more prototypical method. LokSound V5 with its latest 'full throttle' software should be able to do all the Zimo does and more.

No, there isn't a braking option as such . However, I think F27 gives you a coast option and it can also be simulated by toggling F5 insofar as F5 can be activated whilst running and then the throttle turned to zero. This gives a coasting simulation. Toggling off F5 with the throttle at zero will then bring the loco to a halt, the rate depending on what braking inertia has been put into CV4